3-Day Ride to the Great Salt Lake, 2012

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Spud Rider, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The last week of August 2012, I decided to ride a 3-day loop to the Great Salt Lake, and back to Idaho. Traveling south down the Arbon Valley, I stopped to stretch my legs in the pretty little town of Holbrook, Idaho.

[​IMG]

Continuing farther south, I reached the Utah State line just beyond Stone, Idaho.

[​IMG]

After refueling in Snowville, Utah, I left the pavement and headed off road to the north shore of the Great Salt Lake.

[​IMG]

As I continued southward, I could see the mountains in the distance beyond the Great Salt Lake.

[​IMG]

Reaching the junction with the road to Kelton, Utah, I headed west toward Golden Spike National Historic Site, and the Promontory Mountains.

[​IMG]

I reached the salt flats at Locomotive Springs, and stopped to take a few photographs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continuing westward, the Promontory Mountains came into view.

[​IMG]

The Union Pacific and Central Pacific railroads met at Promontory Summit in 1869. The driving of the golden spike officially completed the Transcontinental Railroad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After freshening up at the visitor’s center, I continued riding westward, closely following the route of the Central Pacific railbed.

Crossing a pass through the Promontory Mountains, I began to descend into the valley of the Great Salt Lake. The salt flats east of the Promontory Mountains came into view.

[​IMG]

Reaching the bottom of the pass, I turned southward and rode along the east flank of the Promontory Mountains. After riding a while, I paused to look back northward, toward the ATK Thiokol Plant on the distant horizon. ATK Thiokol produced the solid rocket boosters for the U.S. Space Shuttle.

[​IMG]

Here’s a photograph of the ATK Thiokol facilities I captured during a previous ride.

[​IMG]

Looking westward, I saw the salt flats expanding toward the Wasatch Mountains north of Ogden.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking southward, I viewed the Promontory Mountains extending toward the north shore of the Great Salt Lake.

[​IMG]

Continuing farther southward, the salt flats expanded, and the Wasatch Range drew nearer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The early evening shadows began to lengthen as I approached Promontory Point, where the Promontory Mountains terminate at the north shore of the Great Salt Lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sun began to set as I rode eastward alongside the solar evaporation ponds which were reflecting the Promontory Mountains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I rode eastward toward landfall, I noticed the Wasatch Range was also reflected in the water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reaching the east shore, I continued riding to Ogden, where I spent the night. The next day I would ride along Skyline Drive in the Wasatch Range.

Spud :beer
  2. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Great photos!!! Great ride report!!!
  3. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent photos. Looks like that could be a great area to ride.
  4. purpledrake

purpledrake No Pretensions

Oddometer:
    As always, Spud Rider, you write an interesting narrative and take beautiful pictures.

That area is beautiful, and full of deer. I am from Box Elder county (my father worked for Morton Thiokol during the Cold War, when they made "other things.") I was in Snowville just a year ago, to pick up a new dog. Brrrrr. I understand why you guys don't ride much in the winter time.

PD
  5. purpledrake

Oddometer:
    BTW: Why plate-free on dirt roads?
  6. Memnok

Memnok Fly high, go far.

Oddometer:

I don't think he took it off. Looks like it fell off. :lol3
  7. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riding down the east flank of the Promontory Mountains, I noticed my license plate had developed a crack, and was about to fall off. :huh Therefore, I removed the plate and put it in my backpack. The next morning, I re-attached the license with several zip ties. :deal I completed the trip with the jury rigged license plate, and installed a new license plate holder after I returned home. :wink:

Spud :wave
  8. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, PD. :D Indeed, ATK Thiokol has manufactured many solid propellant rockets for the military, including the legendary, Minuteman ICBM missile. :deal

[​IMG]

9. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer:
    Cool stuff Spud! :clap :thumb
  10. ID XR600

ID XR600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Spud

I didn't know where Kelton Utah was till I read this sign, then I had to go there. I just love the history of the west.

[​IMG]

It is right by this sign.

[​IMG]

Great report so far.
  11. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, Spud!

Cheers
  12. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The next morning I reattached my license plate to my bike and had breakfast in Ogden before I headed out to ride Skyline Drive. The previous year I had not been able to ascend Farmington Canyon because a landslide had closed the road. I figured the road would be open this year, but I was wrong. Therefore, I continued southward and ascended Skyline Drive at Bountiful. Enjoying the view all the way, I climbed to the highest point on Skyline Drive, and stopped to admire the view of Farmington, the Great Salt Lake, and Antelope Island.

[​IMG]

Looking a little farther to the north, I viewed the Promontory Mountains where I had ridden the previous day.

[​IMG]

Looking directly north, I remounted the bike and headed off for Francis Peak, which is located above Kaysville.

[​IMG]

I rode past the peak to the north end of Francis Peak Road, and stopped to admire the view stretching from Ogden, through Kaysville, all the way down to the Oquirrh Mountains which terminate at the south shore of the Great Salt Lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I backtracked a bit, then headed farther north to Smith Creek Lakes. Here I enjoyed the views to the east of Morgan and the Morgan Valley.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riding back south to Francis Peak, I admired another perspective of the Morgan Valley to the east.

[​IMG]

Backtracking down from Francis Peak, I once again turned my attention to the west, where I could observe the panorama extending to the Oquirrh Mountains, and almost to Salt Lake City.

[​IMG]

Ordinarily, I would have descended Farmington Canyon, but the road was still closed from last year’s landslide. Therefore, I headed back to Bountiful Peak. I parked my XR650L at the base of the peak, and climbed to the top to enjoy the view of the Great Salt Lake to the west.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking to the north, I viewed Francis Peak, from which I had just departed.

[​IMG]

Looking to the east, I viewed Morgan, Richville, and Porterville.

[​IMG]

Looking to the south, I viewed the Wasatch Range and the road back to Bountiful.

[​IMG]

After eating my lunch and taking a few photographs, I descended Bountiful Peak and returned to my bike.

[​IMG]

Riding back south to Bountiful, I paused frequently to admire the scenery. Entering the switchbacks just above Bountiful, I stopped to view the town and the Mormon temple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After descending back to the valley, I considered taking an excursion to Salt Lake City. However, the wind began to blow as rain approached from the south. Therefore, I decided to eat supper, and return to Ogden to spend the evening.

13. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great photos, Spud! Thanks! :clap
  14. purpledrake

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's part of the story.

I know an aeronautical engineer (officer in USAF at Hill AFB at the time) who was responsible for testing the solid fuel sections being manufactured by MT. They would take them out onto the salt flats for test fires. I kid you not: He says that when they failed to fire, somebody would try to light them with burning newspaper....:huh Remember, this was the 1960s.

He said that the roar of the engines was so loud that you couldn't have a conversation at 100 yards.

The weather was perfect for the Skyline ride. Very well done, as usual. Boy, you really get around.
  15. Mossy-Back

Mossy-Back Nookie Monster

Oddometer:
    Awesome pictures! Those roads look like a lot of fun riding.

BTW, what rear disc guard are you running, and what skidplate?
  16. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    Keep it comin. I love this stuff :thumb
  17. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    A burning newspaper?!!! :eek1 Egads! :rofl

Does anyone know; when did they change the name from Morton Thiokol to ATK Thiokol?

18. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rising the next morning, I enjoyed breakfast in Ogden, then headed back north to Idaho. I rode to North Ogden, then turned east, traveling through Ogden Canyon to Liberty, Utah. I then turned north to ride off road to Paradise, Utah, and the southern end of Utah’s Cache Valley.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Climbing the Cache Valley Creek Canyon, I paused at a mountain pass before descending into the Little Bear River Canyon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Entering the Cache Valley, I returned to pavement. I rode through Paradise until I reached Hyrum, then I turned east, and rode up Blacksmith Fork Canyon. Leaving the pavement, I turned onto Left Hand Fork Road, and traveled north until I reached the Right Fork of the Logan River.

[​IMG]

I then returned to pavement in Logan Canyon, and rode north a few miles until I left the street behind at Franklin Basin Road. I would now ride 55 miles on/near the Highline Trail until I descended from the Bear River Range into Grace, Idaho. I rode about 7 miles before I reached the Idaho State border.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continuing north, I rode down Hillyard Canyon, then ascended to Green Basin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I climbed to Horseshoe Basin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I rode a pretty trail to Copenhagen Basin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Descending from Copenhagen Basin, I crossed Route 36 at Emigration Campground. I continued riding ATV trails, fire roads, and gravel roads until I reached Cheatbeck Basin.

[​IMG]

Now there was only one route that continued northward, running along the spine of the Bear River Range, leading to Grace, Idaho. I climbed the trail to Soda Peak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reaching Soda Peak, the shadows were lengthening as I continued riding north toward Soda Springs, and Grace.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I exited the ATV trail, and descended a fire road leading into Grace, Idaho as the sun was setting. Returning to pavement in Grace, I rode the rest of the way home in the gathering darkness. It was a long day’s ride from Ogden, but the scenery and trails were beautiful. I always enjoy riding along the Highline Trail.

Spud :wave
  20. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics and report Spud! Thanks for sharing, you really ride in some awesome scenery.

-Barron