Not real transportation?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by hippiebrian, Feb 7, 2014.

1. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda used the Dream name on several models over the years. What do you suppose the theme was?
    [​IMG]I had this Dream for five years, 1969-1974. 80 mpg! I miss this bike.
  2. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Second bike I ever rode was a Honda Dream my BIL owned. It was a conglomeration of a 300, 305 and a 350 all rolled into one bike. :D
  3. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    right here

i think it depends on riding environs as well as attitude. riding where i do is imo much too risky to be a weekend hobby or "once in awhile" thing. and if so its the sort of riding that makes husbands bow down to their wives and quit "riding" altogether when they have kids or fall off the bike once or w/e. "once in a while" is not a commitment to riding

being on two wheels has inherent risks but for some those risks are, or seem, minimized. the "sometimes" riders may ride on wide open highway, quiet town streets, or sure, weather stifled riders have no choice to to ride half a year or w/e wherever they ride. some riding is better then no riding in that case. and that's their choice, or is dictated to them by circumstances. so at best a motorcycle is part time transportation, not real, full time transportation

but for us who have the opportunity to travel lite each day, good weather, lane splitting, crowded cities with canyons nearby within that city? beaches, mountains, sun shining....it is the BEST transportation. the only REAL transportation their is, really. if blessed enough to take advantage of it almost daily.

and for anyone who doesn't think so i pass Range Rovers with lone drivers in 'em everyday, just sitting there in their $70,000 "real transpo" vehicles while i slide by on my impractical to them bikes

but who is making their way down the road and who is stuck in traffic in their expensive "toy?"

its a no brainer. motorcycles own the road where i live, and its as real as transportation gets :)
  4. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going to post about riding in SoCal, but DudeClone said it better than I could.:deal He gets it.:1drink
  5. Mollygrubber

Mollygrubber Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer:
    Around here bikes virtually vanish from October to March - the first warm spring day, all you can hear is "brave" Sons of Anarchy wannabees blatting the winter mothballs off their shiny open pipes. :rofl

I like being the only bike on the road in January. Riding through a ferocious winter storm is the funnest shit ever. And as far as not being "real" transportation, the rest of the world would beg to differ. I can haul a lot of groceries if I load my panniers and top box up.

I have so many ridiculous commuter stories, but my favorite times are when some he-man in a "fast" car tries to sneak up on the right and ram himself in front of me before the lane ends. Those guys will never learn that a bike will out-accelerate pretty much anything on 4 wheels. Even a bike with lunch boxes on the sides. :deal
  6. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap I love to hear it, will make me feel less crazy the next time I have to explain to someone why I ride in such conditions, it may stem from learning to drive in Northern New England winter before I learned to drive on dry roads and warm weather. then I discovered that I could drill stud pockets in knobby tires and insert studs and a year later, the darkside, As long as I'm warm, I'm happy, I'm preparing my V-strom for something epic
  7. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    A kid at my first high school (New Zealand, late 60's) had a 305 Dream, which I liked the look of. And I see the odd one still running around where I live at present. Interesting motorcycle, with a pressed steel frame, leading link front suspension (Cub tech?), and distinctive styling.

Since then Honda has used the "Dream" moniker has for some 250 twin models in some western markets, the UK being one.

"Dream" has also been used for Cub type models in some markets, including Thailand.

Here in Thailand the Super Cub was manufactured / assembled from the late 60's until the early 80's. Some details changed, but they were essentially the same bike, available in 70 cc and 90 cc models.

The Dream replaced the Super Cub, with the most obvious change being the move to telescopic suspension. I gather it was largely designed and manufactured in Thailand, with a high local content, however engines and gearboxes were imported from Japan. Mine is one of the last to use the 100 cc Japanese engine. They then moved up to 125cc.

When the locally designed Wave was introduced, I guess it was intended to replace the Dream, but that didn't happen. The Dream was / is reckoned to more robust, thus favoured by motorcycle taxi riders. They did kill it for a year or so, but then the reincarnated with the same old frame, suspension and general design, but fitted with the PGM-i 110cc engine used in the Wave.

In the last year the Cub has reappeared. It is essentially the same bike as the Dream, with slightly retro styling and colours.

I notice that Honda's Indian subsidiary introduced its own 110cc Honda Dream Yuga to India. It is a standard motorcycle (not a step-thru), which is billed as the least expensive Honda motorcycle they currently produce, and inflation adjusted, the least expensive ever.

Practical motorcycles such as these are indeed real transport, perhaps the Dream of the working class millions who use them to get around.
  8. streakerfreak

streakerfreak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always enjoy when it starts getting colder and all the warm weather riders put their bikes away. I take winter as a fun challenge I guess. Still amazes me that even though everyone at the motorcycle shop I work at knows I ride every damn day even in the dead of winter, they still ask me if I rode in.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    let's not forget parking and/or tolls for many.
    bikes can save a ton here per month/year depending on your situation.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    alot of that comes down to how each of our bodies deal with cold.
    some people love it cold as can be while others are on the opposite end.
    that's not a choice but something innate in different people & all the cold weather gear in the world will not matter.
  11. Mat

Mat Tosser

Oddometer:
    Did you look where he lives... Vancouver is a paradox of sorts: Canada yet no proper Winter!

:hide
  12. doxiedog

doxiedog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. lemosley01

lemosley01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, though it doesn't get as cold here in NC. I view the cold (I HATE the cold) as a challenge.

This time of year when the weather is waffling between February cold and May warmth drives me crazy.

I take the swings from warmth to freezing temperatures as a personal attack.
  14. streakerfreak

streakerfreak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, that's my girlfriend. Complete opposites as far as weather.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'd say this completely redefines transportation/commuting for the $6800 price & 84 mpg. http://www.eliomotors.com/

More so than any motorcycle or scooter as it's all weather, all year.
  16. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Car will likely not be produced, see thread regarding Elio "cars".
  17. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    Sadly, I'd have to agree with this prediction. I hope it's wrong, but things haven't been looking great for Elio, and the whole concept might have been aiming a little high anyway.