Landlside near Darrington, many dead, Stillaguamish blocked: BAD

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by 1911fan, Mar 23, 2014.

1. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    maybe there is some but anyone that can't agree with this you better take a hard look at yourself.

"“We’ve all been inspired by the incredible way that the community has come together and shown the love and support that they have for each other in ways large and small,” Obama said. “And to see the strength in adversity of this community I think should inspire all of us, because this is also what America is all about."
    ======
    I don't care what side of any political fence you are on, this statement rings true.

2. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]I went 3x to all sides, darrington, Oso, Ariington HQ at the old high school.
    Earlier I developed a mud rescue training, rapid extrication program in my fire dept, I live near a bay, some parts 6' from shore you can sink beyond your nuts. tide comes in, it won't be a pretty way to go out.
    I was in maui on biz when the slide happened couldn't get back until monday, our FD dept wasn't called. I was told not to go as mud wasn't an issue- that was incorrect, I went regardless, as they can't ask what they don't know about, which is how to get someone out if mud fast and demo mudder over boots. I dropped gear off both sides. since crews were changing I went to the forward and incident command areas. they weren't there to talk to me, so I waited until the right IC and anyone else that would listen ala crews waiting to go, my 3 min talk on what to do if stuck deep in mud. I posted stuff on FD walls, put together a DVD...
  3. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    anyway, what I saw... amazing, the way locals pulled together and did what ever was needed. horrible tragedy but the locals digging in to help. what better place to draw from. these folks work the woods. good they enlisted locals at first to work along with responders. song that kept running through my thick head was Springsteen, "we take care of our own" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x8zBzxCwsM&feature=kp
    this was alive here.

all I saw worked together, sometimes on mutual aid, full-time Fire are not showing love (to put it nicely) to volunteers. none of that. all oars pulling in the same direction.
    I was not in some inner circle, I was not on a rescue team, only what I posted prior. what I saw in the FD's, forward slide site, Arlington high school FEMA, Guard, and others @ HQ, was people working together. All were nice to me which was amazing in itself :1drink I did find out no knows mud rescue. FEMA was very interested and sent me 6 ways, no worries. the Guard and FEMA said they plan to implement mud rescue in training. cool.

As the week went on, more state and FEMA moved in, FEMA BTW is a small amount of workers that come out at a crisis and their main troops are pulled from a number of diff' gov depts, Fire dept., DNR, FS, SAR etc.... so FEMA expands these may be the guys you see at some local function. not some faceless gov' program. Im sure mistakes were made. I'm sure they will work on improving those mistakes.

I do rapid mud rescue training, I have taught Navy, USCG, Local SAR's, FD's seattle to canada, recently in Edison. If you have mud that is dangerous in your area, I'll send training info or go out and train, it's free, no strings.

so to Mal.D, hats off, thanks for your work there. :1drink

Attached Files:

4. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Hey 'tards....:wave
    It's been a while since I've stooped to posting but I thought that this might be relevant...
    I was there on the 29th and 30th of March - helping to look for victims with my K9 partner and his handler.
    Here's my after action report- I wrote it to remind myself of how uncomplicated my life is.

Monday- March 31st, 2014
    Portland
    My K9 Handler partner our HRD K9 and I departed Portland at 1 AM on Saturday.
    We arrived on scene on the East side of the slide near Darrington at 0600 and proceeded to sign in and wait to be briefed.
    In these situations, logistics and coordination of assets is usually a complicated and chaotic process- this was only made worse by the fact that the East-side command and West-side commands were basically running two searches.
    We waited for orders and eventually were re-deployed to the West-side command. We arrived there at about Noon and were in the field within 45 minutes.
    As we were getting ready, the order came down for us to leave all of our extra gear in our cars. Command had evidence that dysentery had broken out in the area- as a result, we would not be able to eat or drink in the debris field. We would also need to undergo decontamination as we exited.

We deployed with our K9 - attached to a crew of Everett firefighters. Immediately ahead of us was another entire crew with another HRD K9. The dog teams would work to confirm each other’s finds.
    Our mission was to search for human remains. This is a mission we have trained for and are very familiar with- yet, despite our experience, we were not prepared for what we went into in Oso. Our K9 is a certified Human Remains Detection (HRD) dog. He and his handler have been on numerous wilderness and urban searches in the Pacific Northwest and have had many successful finds. In HRD operations the word success is has a very specific, conditional meaning. Success does mean that we are able to initiate the first step in a long process to bring closure to the families of the victims or possible successful prosecution in a criminal case.

Our personal gear consisted of neoprene, boot-foot waders, base layers, a waterproof jacket, protective gloves over surgical gloves, eye protection, a hat and a helmet. In my jacket pockets I carried a disposable vial of eye-wash wrapped in duct tape- both could be used if the dog were injured. I also carried a knife, a waterproof notepad and a pen. Teams were forbidden from taking pictures in the field.

We marched in single file to the debris field we passed the command post, vehicles, medical tent, earth moving equipment. At one end of this command and control area we came across a personal-effects crew decontaminating an American flag. No one said a word.

The debris field is approximately one square mile in size. The debris is anywhere form 1-5 feet deep up to 75 feet deep- on average, its 20-25 feet deep. The debris itself is a mix of mud, sand, trees and branches, parts of homes and cars and the victims. The slide event took homes off of their foundations and trees off of their roots. It looked like everything had been put through a blender.

It was the closest thing I can imagine to hell on earth.

Local response and FEMA crews had managed to enter the debris field with excavators and were gathering the superficial debris into piles. It was our job to search these piles and report any finds.
    The debris field itself is mostly mud and sand. Plywood planks had been laid on the mud to keep us from sinking. If you stepped off the plank, you could stand or sink to your thighs in the muck. Thankfully, the dogs had less of a problem staying on top of the mud. Because of the constant rain and the blockage of the Stillaguamish, pools of contaminated water were forming everywhere. Sometimes we could walk over these on planks or logs. Other times we, and the dog had to walk through them.

Everywhere we looked in the debris field we could spot traces of the lives that were lost. Sticks of butter, still in the wrapper. Jars of peanut butter, unopened. A Barbie doll, next to a baseball card collection. Random clothing and pairs of shoes. A Nike track spike. A garage door. An Easybake oven. A crushed propane tank. Half of a car.

HRD dogs, in general, have two types of alerts- a soft alert and a hard alert. They will react with a soft alert when they detect the nearby presence of human remains. They usually circle, sniff and pace in a small area. If they actually make contact with human remains they will sit. The search coordinators brought three other dogs into our area, they also detected traces of human remains.
    In three hours of searching an area less than two acres we had two soft hits.

After we left the immediate area, excavators were brought in to the site and digging commenced.

At about 4PM we exited the debris field. There was a clear path for us to follow that kept us (the. contaminated) apart from the decontaminated folks. We walked up to a tent surrounded by loud water pumps and tanker trucks. All of us , including our K9s, had to be decontaminated by a National Guard decon crew. Decon is a multi-stage process. First, we were treated to a high-pressure cold water hose to blast off any loose debris, mostly mud. This was followed by warm water sprays, detergent and brushes.
    Our K9 has a long coat- he hated decon. After decon we took him straight to our rig to prevent him from becoming more hypothermic. On our way back to our vehicle we passed that same American flag- now hanging from a portable shelter- again we were silent.
    The dog was spent, and so were the humans-we were done for the day.

We returned to the site on Sunday and found two more locations that were reconfirmed by other dog teams. One of these was excavated on Monday and a victim was found in a car, buried in ten feet of mud and debris.

On our way back from decon to our vehicles we were approached by a gentleman who had lost two family members. He made a point of thanking us and wanted us to know how important our efforts had been and what it meant to the families.
    We had a hard time keeping ourselves together until we were out of view. We had a good cry as we squared away our gear.

We arrived back in Portland Sunday night, exhausted, filthy and sore.

I survived the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake in California- I helped search for victims in the debris in Los Gatos. Not since then have I experienced the level of emotion that I felt when I got home on Sunday. Glad to be alive, glad for my family, glad for all of people I call friends, glad for my comfortable life and with a complete reset of the inconveniences in my life that I once called problems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics are from Reuters
  5. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    thanks rubber cow for your efforts, your right on the emotion there, there was a heaviness, like a cloud of death. and the debris field smelled as well but that was least of anyones worries. I didn't see decon set up in darrington until later in week.
    it was inspiring seeing how community and others from the area pulled together and worked so hard. I would of vol' for search but at the time I arrived those were filled, the only complaints I overheard were those wanting to go in that hadn't . thanks again to all who helped and donated. I'm sure there are others here.
    the slide is past swede heaven road, so access to FS18 was open, I do not know how far as I didn't go up there, it would still be snowed in to cross over of course. like others said, go to darrington, blow some $ at some local businesses.

Attached Files:

6. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    I have sensed all that and will try to get up later on to add what I can to applaud the way the local people have supported each other and the rescuers have worked so tirelessly to find the remaining victims. Great efforts and thoughts from the three of you Mal.D,, RubberCow, and HighwayChile.

And here is some evidence:
    [​IMG]
  7. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee

Oddometer:
    Jeezus.

A serious question: if you were trapped in a car under a slide like this, maybe 10' down, and assuming the car wasn't smashed and you had a few minutes to think about it, would you have any chance of escaping? Leaving the car and moving up through the mud?
  8. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I drove on the detour around the slide area on Thursday to go to Darrington to work on our radio site. I have been putting this off for a while hoping there would be a detour.

At one point there is a pile of cars off to the side of the road. If you were in one of those cars, it is highly unlikely you would have the chance to think about getting out of the car. All of the cars in the pile look like smashed discarded beer cans. It is difficult to identify if they are cars or trucks let alone what brand. The whole place is a horrific scene left behind by the awesome force of nature.
  9. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    The debris moved at about 160MPH.
    So did the stuff trapped in it. Maybe if you were trapped in an armored vehicle with an inward opening escape hatch....

Every car I saw, with one exception, was torn into parts.
    The one exception was compressed laterally about 30% and twisted axially like a cinnamon twist.

Simply put, I suspect it wouldn't matter....you'd be dead within seconds,maybe minutes.
  10. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    People can't dig their way out from under a foot of snow after an avalanche.
    People can't open windows or doors after a car has gone underwater.

I would imagine that mud is worse.
  11. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    Only works if you are Lone Wolf McQuade and driving a supercharged Dodgie 4x4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQkyi1_l6po