Tiger AND a 990?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Rikki Rockett, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Rikki Rockett

Rikki Rockett MOTORCYCLE EVANGELIST

Oddometer:
    So, yes, I have a Tiger XC and I really think that it is an awesome bike. Love riding it! Freaks me out off road, though. However, the KTM 990 Baja Edition is calling my name and calling it loudly. Would it be asinine to have both bikes?
  2. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depends....do you currently own all of those bikes listed in your tag line? If so, then probably not.

Outside of that, it all depends on where you ride the most. The tiger can be a decent off-roader, lots of fellahs have got them through some pretty hairy places. Look up inmate "Guiltyparty"s RR. It is only when you compare something like the Baja to a tiger that you start to see some of the short comings. And given the capabilities of something like a 990 baja, you've really gotta be pushing off-raod to get to those short comings IMHO.....which would probably mean you're currently or will very soon be, riding off-road most of the time...which brings us back to the original question....where do you ride the most?.....:deal
  3. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    While I enjoy dualsporting my (orange:D)Tiger 800XC, my other bike is a KTM 525 for the rough stuff. I suggest looking at something less porky than the 990, like the 690 or smaller.:deal
  4. Rikki Rockett

Oddometer:
    I ride on road the most at this point. However, what I really think is that an Adventure bike, weather it's a Tiger, 1200 GS, Stelvio, 800 GS or whatever is that they all have shortcomings. My thought is thisÂ… leave the Tiger as is. Mainly on road with dirt capability for rides where that is the basic equation. Set the 990 up where dirt is more in the equation. (Like a trip out to Death Valley with mainly dirt roads and some sort of rough stuff, but taking paved roads part of the way to get there.) That is my way of rationalizing the fact that the damn 990 Baja just flat out appeals to me!

5. smj

smj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never had a Tiger XC... Had an F800GS. Have a 990 R. Don't miss the F800GS, don't care if I ever own a Tiger XC. I ride with a guy who runs a Tiger XC - seems to keep up OK on the road...
  6. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. TufelHunden

TufelHunden Recovering A-hole

Oddometer:
    Brother if you can afford it responsibly (meaning you dont put your family in a bind by buying it) then go for it. Then ride and farkle the heck out of it. Behind you all the way man!
  8. Rikki Rockett

Oddometer:
    Well, I'd probably have to give up the Monster, but the Griso is really a lot more fun anyway!

I just don't don't wanna feel stupid having two adventure bikes.

9. Rikki Rockett

Oddometer:
  10. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I would say if 800XC freaks you out offroad, then don't expect 990 to be very different there. It's same weight and will behave quite similarly to Tiger - they are both 200+kg bikes though.
    Of course KTM's suspension is way more capable, but that won't make a difference until you are going really fast.
    But of course having more bikes is always a good thing so go for it!
  11. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    IMHO the 990 and the Tiger are too close to the same thing. very close in weight if you compare magazine numbers, and similar. I have a buddy that just got one and I seriously considered the Tiger XC, F800GS but ended up buying an older Super Enduro (they stopped making them in 2009) so I wanted something more off road capable.

I guess since you have the XC, I'd consider the 950 Super Enduro if you plan to do a decent amount of street but want more capabilities off road, or maybe a 690 if you ride solo a lot, and not quite as much street (easier to pick up solo), or even a 500 EXC if you just want an off road bike that is street legal.

I have a 450XC that's tagged but have been having so much fun with my 950 off road that I don't ride it nearly as much as I used to. Not going to sell it or anything but i have been enjoying my 950 SE a lot. I have friends with the ADV's and they ride them well off road, but there's just something about the SE that makes it more fun to ride it faster/harder off road. Maybe it's just more crash worthy than the bigger bikes. :)

just my $.02
  12. spencergt66

spencergt66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I beg to differ slow fast or whatever the suspension makes a huge difference. Not to mention you dont have an extra 2 feet of bike in front of you. To me the XC is no where near the same class as the 990. The specs say they are close but ride one then ride the other you wont think so. Nothing against the tiger (cause I have its big brother) but 990 will just get dirtier better
  13. Rikki Rockett

Oddometer:
    I have money down on the 990, but called the guy and I want to re consider a smaller bike. I'll probably go in tomorrow.

Damn, now you guys really have me confused, but hey, I asked!!!

14. spencergt66

Oddometer:
    Well for what it's worth I have had a lot if bikes always looking for the best one or the right one big small DS dirt only, adventure exct, but the 990 to me at least was never and will never be on the chopping block. It can do it all, almost traded it in for a new 990 but I like mine too much and have gone through too much with it to say good by :D
  15. Rikki Rockett

Oddometer:
    Do you wish you would have gone with the 990 or maybe the new 1190 instead of the Tiger 1200?

16. Rikki Rockett

Oddometer:
    Is the Husky even in the running on this level?
  17. spencergt66

Oddometer:

No... to me each bike has its own purpose. 1200 tiger is a nice comfy bike for sport touring and some fire roads if needed 990 to me is something you take when you only want dirt a lot of it and know the dirt will be either fast really bad or both.

Only ridden the 1190R twice and I think this is a bit between the 2 as is the 1200 GSA but the 1190 being a bit more off road oriented.

To me the tiger 1200 is an awesome Bike but has a lot of bulk and lacks the suspension to make it more off road suited Maybe one day Ohlins will fix this but no adjustablity is a big downer

Also a husky TR650 is like buying a XR650L with better looks. Heavy low power and mediocre components.

I still think bang for the Buck would be the 990 Great power to weight and a really good starting point for suspension. The Tiger 800 is close but at almost the same price or right at the same price there is a huge compromise on some key components.

In the end you need to buy or ride what will net you most Smiles per gallon :D As long as your riding something that really the point right?
  18. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couple Questions that would define it for me....will you be riding 2 up at all? And will you want to cruise more the 75mph highway (if ever!)??<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    If the answer to both is "yes" or "Maybe" than the 990 is your bike. If you answered no to both, than I would go find a decent used 690 R and pimp the shit out of it or buy that 700RR kit from Oz. In fact there is a nice one in the fleamarket right now that I'd be all over if I had the cash:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937680<o:p></o:p>
    I've recently read RoninMoto's RR...."RTW with Noah on a KTM 690" ...if ever there was a case for the 690, its this RR. It's got me sold on the 690 for sure.<o:p></o:p>
    If I end up riding as many events as I plan to this coming season, I will definetly be in the market for something along the lines of that 690R/700RR for the season after:evil
  19. Rikki Rockett

Oddometer:
    I'm sort of feeling the 690 because I won't get rid of the Tiger. I am not a bad assed dirt rider. Back in PA when I was a. Kid, I was fearless on my dirt bikes, but not so much anymore. I doubt I will ride 2 up, but freeway use is a possibility as I live in a suburb of LA and freeways are everywhere. Just to get to Gorman it's a freeway. I don't wanna tow because at that point I'd be looking at full on dirt bikes.

My idea is hit the road looking for fun trails and some slightly longer adventure. If I was going for a several hundred miles I'd just take the Tiger and wrestle it off road I guess.

Having trouble finding a 690, though. Geez, it's never easy!!!
  20. SauceSquatch

SauceSquatch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you'll be very happy with the 690 (if you can find one) if your looking for a mainly off road machine while taking pavement to get there. I got my 990 thinking it was going to whip around like a dirt bike off road but man-o-man, it is a big beast. Now, there are plenty of folks who can do that stuff with the 990 and it is very capable but you have to be a very talented rider. For me the 990 is a perfect bike because while I enjoy off road riding it's my daily rider and touring bike, I can load it up with gear for a week and be plenty happy without feeling like I needed to cut weight by leaving things behind. The Tiger is a good bike but it will handle much the same way off road as the 990, if you just want to have a blast in the dirt get the 690 or 525 exc.

BUT, the 990 will have more power, 21" wheel up front, better suspension than the Tiger... if you have to REALLY want a 990 Baja why keep the Tiger?