Opinions on Dainese Virunga D-Dry Boots?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 'Flagger, Sep 5, 2006.

1. 'Flagger

'Flagger ..this space for rent..

Oddometer:
  2. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    First time I've seen them. They look nice, especially the tibia/ankle "composite support".
  3. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A guy I know has them and I had the opportunity to check them out (bought them when he did a 3 month contract in Sweden).

Very nice boot, no ankle protection what so ever.

End of story.
  4. 'Flagger

Oddometer:
    To clarify, you're not referring to impact protection, right? You're talking about keeping the ankle from rolling in painful directions?

B
  5. BigMac

BigMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks very similar to the Vendramini Marathon boot which is not too surprising in that Vendramini is rumoured to be producer of Dainese labeled boots. The sole is different than the Marathon and the price appears to be a couple $$ less but the ratchet-style buckles, upper cuff and ankle/calf armor look very similar. If you're in 'States the Dainese boots should be MUCH more readily accessable, unlike the Vendramini's which has one US importer and they apparently only sell direct mail order w/o any dealer affiliations. What a stupid way to sell safety gear that is as fit sensitive as boots. Take care.
  6. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE='Flagger]To clarify, you're not referring to impact protection, right? You're talking about keeping the ankle from rolling in painful directions?

B[/QUOTE]

No, I mean there is no hard cup covering the ankles. The boot is soft up the entire side. Nothing for ankle impact.
  7. 'Flagger

Oddometer:
    keep an eye in this forum for further news regarding these boots, including pictures......

I bought a pair this morning in Saukville, WI and wore them out of the store.

8 hours later, I would like to report the following impressions:

1) Very comfortable (watch the sizing. Dainese equates a 44 to a 10, whereas Sidi equates a 44 to a 9 or a 9.5. As with other Italian footwear, they run a little narrow also. Even with all that I got the 44s (same size as my Sidi OnRoad Sympatex) and they fit fine.

2) Will probably live up to it's claim of 'Waterproof' (looking forward to testing this one)

3) tokenboy is right. No hard bits protecting the ankles.

4) The double density sole is an inspired bit of design (stiff where it needs to be to stand on the pegs, yet comfy enough for walking).

I'll be posting photos and a more detailed review when I get back home.

B
  8. Zorgon

Zorgon KTM convert

Oddometer:
    My girlfriend has them.
    After a few rainy days in scotland, she found out that they are not waterproof :-)
    We could not find out how they leaked. My guess is the D-Dry fabric isn't that waterproof, or the zips are to short. the boots were tucked in under waterproofs, so there was no water coming from above.

I used alpinestars SMX3 boots, without getting wet feet. (only smelly feet :-)
  9. 'Flagger

Oddometer:
    Zips? Zippers? No zippers on the boots I bought. Pictures to come....
  10. mikedt

mikedt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On top of which the Vendramini distributor has a 15% which makes buying very expensive boots sight-unseen a very expensive gamble.
  11. Zorgon

Zorgon KTM convert

Oddometer:
    [quote='Flagger]Zips? Zippers? No zippers on the boots I bought. Pictures to come....[/quote]

blast you're right. sorry. Only clasps. there is some space between the upper velcro closing and the waterproof inner. IMO this causes the boot to fill.
  12. davidmc

davidmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any more comments on the Virunga Boots? I tried these on yesterday and they were one of the few boots which fits my narrow foot. They were very comfortable. How are they in the rain, heat, etc?

'Flagger, any thoughts now that you have had the boots for a while?
  13. 'Flagger

Oddometer:
    Busted! :eek1 I knew I had left this thread hangin' and was hopin' no one called me on it.

To keep it short... I love 'em. very comfortable for my feet straight out of the box. was in the middle of a trip when I purchased them and asked the shop to toss the boots I had been wearing. It was a bit of a risk but it turned out to be a great decision. I had needed to put insoles in my previous boots, but haven't needed to for the Virunga's.

They seem to be warmish, but the only hot weather riding I've done has been on the GS. Any boot is hot on a GS.

Water hasn't been an issue, except when I stepped in a river that was deeper than the inside flap. Have ridden in all day rains and haven't had a problem. Not sure how Zorgon got wet... just make sure the waterproof portion of your pants are outside the boot and tugged all the way down. Same thing you'd do for any boot, really.

The sole of the boot is a wonder. The toe and heel are of a softer material than the center which is rather stiff. Maybe not MX boot stiff but good enough for a day of standing on a dual-sport. The difference in stiffness front-center-rear makes the boot rather 'walkable'.

As for protection:
    1) the front upper is armored. this comes in handy for us GS riders as the jugs tend beat you up when ridin' in unimproved areas.
    2) The ankle areas have a little 'puck' of plastic in between the leather and the inner liner that will help in minor bumps against the bike or trees/rocks. These won't really help in serious spill where the bike tries to crush your ankle on a rock.
    3) As the boots break-in I've discovered they don't have anything to prevent you from rolling your ankles (side-side or fore-aft). When new I was hopeful that they would be better than what I was wearing (Side On-Roads) but that's not going to be the case.

Not real short, but hope that helps.

B
  14. davidmc

davidmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks for the quick response. Sounds like you are happy with them. They look and feel like a great boot, I was especially impressed with the sole, which seems stiff, but supple in the right places for walking. I am going to compare them with the Dainese Zev D-Dry when Cycle Gear gets my size in a couple of days. Dainese seems to have the only boots to fit my narrow feet. I know these are different boots, but I don't have much choice, the boot which fits best will be the one I buy.

I am surprised that more riders on this site haven't tried these boots...
  15. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at them on the kneedraggers website. That Orange won't do. Are you guys buying the "Anthracite" version?
  16. 'Flagger

Oddometer:
    Yep. Anthracite for me. The orange is, .... well, .....:puke2
  17. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE='Flagger]Yep. Anthracite for me. The orange is, .... well, .....:puke2[/QUOTE]

So that whole orange section is a different color, right? KneeDraggers wasn't much help when I asked for photos. Don't want to order and have to pay 20% restock fee if I don't like them.
  18. 'Flagger

Oddometer:
    From the Dainese website. It's says 'Dark Grey' in the photo, but that's what my anthracite boots look like.

[​IMG]
  19. Boston12GS

Boston12GS Banned

Oddometer:
    I've worn these for the last year (~18,000 miles on a 1200GS, all weather, Northeast winter/summer, rallies, track days, commuting, etc.). Pluses are they are very comfortable for both riding and walking. Recently I've become feeling "hotspots" on the bottom of my feet, not from heat but from pressure, but I suspect a padded insert will help there--keep meaning to try it, but forgetting. They feel very robust and protective, although the ankle area IS pretty much just leather, so no real protection against a really hard crunch between hard objects.

The negative--this boot, at least the ones I have, ARE NOT WATERPROOF, and this has been true since shortly after I purchased them. To the contrary, I suspect they actually suck in water. [​IMG] In even light rain my feet are sodden in short order. Maybe it's a defect in mine, I don't know, but I can pour the water out of my boots after a couple of hours in hard rain. :cry

Worse, I have not been able to find good quality overshoes for them (once I'd gotten over the painful fact that you just paid a lot of money for allegedly waterproof boots that need overshoes in the first place). The exterior dimensions, especially around the ankle, are large enough that what would otherwise be appropriately-sized NEOS, for example, don't close properly. They may close enough to be effective against rain (haven't tried them yet in conditions), but the velcro overflap of the NEOS cannot close properly around the boot (the snap-down strap, however, does reach around, and that may hold things in place sufficiently to prevent water entry).

Andrew
  20. JStory

JStory Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, what Cycle Gear are you going to? The one in Sacramento sucks. There are dealers up here that have more gear in stock.