The building of my vintage racer

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by FreeTheBeast, Apr 24, 2012.

1. pommie john

pommie john Long timer

Oddometer:

That's good. Hopefully the selection issue will be easily solved.
    Good luck for next time.

FWIW I did a bit of racing last weekend and there were so few entries they put the three of us in with "pre Modern" which included 916 Dukes and YZF 1000s.

We only got lapped once and because there were trophies down to third place, we all got one!!
  2. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    That video was fantastic - I was leaning in my seat & nearly caught that guy on the outside:lol3

Voltaire has finally sucumbed to pressure & has started his own racer thread. i figure if you're reading this you'll be interested.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790873
  3. pommie john

pommie john Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of camera did you use for the video?

I bought a cheap $60 MD80, it's really susceptible to vibration, even the BM had to much for it.
  4. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:
    The video footage was captured with a GoPro HD camera. It has pretty good stabilization. This footage was done on two bikes, but both had the camera mounted to the handlebars.

I used iMovie on an Apple MacBook Pro to edit and compile the video.
  5. rambozo

rambozo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    didn't expect to hear jim croce when i pressed play:lol3

nice video
  6. SJ BMW

SJ BMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The /5 shift lever is held by a tapered bolt, I have never seen anything else work to hold the shifter on the shaft. I would change the design to be like the stock piece or you may miss the next race too...

Chris
  7. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    I will look into that. Thanks for the advise. I have always valued your advice and the things you have taught me over the past 20+ years.:D
  8. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    The gearbox has been returned to service.

[​IMG]

Some of the internals were out of alignment. More than likely the misalignment was caused by trying to remove the shifter arm when the box was just too darned hot. Tapping the shaft with a rubber mallet is not a good idea.

Have made a modification to the shifter arm based on stock configuration and suggestions made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next races are on June 11th. We'll see how it goes. I have also been told of a place for testing - a MSF training ground about an hour from home. It could be worth the drive to try out the bike before race day.
  9. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    The bike is just about ready to race again. June 11th is the next outing. I really would like to find a place to test this thing before going to the track.

[​IMG]
  10. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Looks awesome bro.
    Can you tell me please what bikes are featured in your smugmug image_7631. I tried to paste but copyrighted.
  11. benthic

benthic glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer:
    just fyi - you can always link to the images in a smugmug album by selecting the one you want and clicking on the share button - that will give you a link to paste into your message:)

[​IMG]

beautiful bike, FreeTheBeast!
  12. birdman

birdman No registered bikes

Oddometer:
    Looks like those are tab framed Honda cb350s. Tons of custom work. 50 hp vintage rockets.
  13. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    Ready for the next round. Monday, 11th June. NHMS.

[​IMG]
  14. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    There were more races on the 11th of June. I still had issues with shifting, but I was able to get the bike on track into 3 races. Out there on track I discovered my bike is damned slooooooooooooooow. I mean really slow compared to the other bikes on track. Max was there - Max from MAX BMW. He's a friend of mine. He saw how my bike was performing. Max is a really good friend because he wants my bike to go faster. :evil After the races, the bike went away in his van back to one of Max's shops for some component replacements and some Dyno work. I think the bike will perform a lot better next time out. Items getting attention are exhaust, brakes, cylinders, pistons, and heads. It will go better. The original set up was built with totally stock components from various sources and spares. I probably expected more than what the bike could realistically do.

Here's a video of the racing that day. I think it's fairly evident how my bike performed based on the other bikes out there.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gV1cqBJee9I?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

More photos here: http://smu.gs/KrJCnD

[​IMG]
  15. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Good fun. The question now is where are you gonna stop?
  16. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    You're right, my friend. I don't believe it ever stops....:eek1 I am extremely fortunate to have a supportive wife. :clap
  17. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
  18. birdman

birdman No registered bikes

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'm going to have to get my 750 ready for the next race to keep up! You don't know slow until you've ridden my R50:rofl
  19. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    Your R50, as I recall, passed my R75. I hope the revision of my bike will meet expectations.

It was nice to talk to Mr. P at the races. Junkyard, too. I hope to see everyone at the next event. A big work project is shaping up to cause conflict with my racing plans. I hope it all works out.
  20. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    First thing? Remove the Bings!