1. psychohawk

psychohawk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next ride Sunday, July 28th ... this is a shop ride that I'll jump on and maybe some of us can plan future, non-shop rides?

Carl

Hey all,

I'd like to put together a every-other-week GS Ride. I've been scanning the forums for some time for a group, but none ever seem to fit what I'm looking for.

I'd like a ride/group as follows:

- GS so we're all similarly capable
    - meet Irv Seaver*
    - 8 AM, stands up 8:30 AM
    - home mid-afternoon
    - various terrain, not always dirt, not always asphalt

That said, I'm NOT interested in seeking out the most difficult trails and trashing my bike; don't get me wrong, I don't mind getting it dirty and a few scratches, I'm just not interested in exploring the bike's--or my--upper capabilities.

About me: 45, married, homeowner, welder ... sometimes I ride more spirited than my age might indicate, but off the saddle I'm pretty mellow to be around ... my other hobby is surfing (9-6 Harbour) though honestly, I haven't been surfing much in the last few months ... too much riding! I started riding late in life, about 25, and accumulated about 125k miles on two wheels.

Let me know if there's any interest, first ride will be Saturday, June 29th ... it'll be an easy, get acquainted ride ... route suggestions are welcomed ... if that works and there's interest, let's put together something every other week.

Note, if I'm raining on someone's party, let me know and I'll probably join your ride / group instead.

Thanks!

* I propose meeting Irv Seaver because most everyone knows where it is and if you need something last minute, you can pick it up ... neither the ride nor myself are associated with the shop.
  2. Hund

Hund born to be wild

Oddometer:
    If I am still around and my bike is fit, would be cool to join you with my 1100GS!
    cheers
    Hund
  3. psychohawk

Oddometer:
    Yeah ... lots of rides/groups fit the XR ... great bike ... just looking for something a little different.
  4. DangerMoney

DangerMoney Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer:
    I know what you're saying. If I was in the neighborhood, I'd join you.
  5. DaneelOlivaw

DaneelOlivaw Irv Seaver BMW; Parts Mgr

Oddometer:
    Irv Seaver BMW welcomes you to launch your rides from the store. Sure would be nice if some rides were on Sunday. We could then join you, if you'd have us along. Downside is that we can't really open the retail store for the riders on a Sunday, or we'd never get going.
  6. GS&S1K rider

GS&S1K rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    would like to join...when schedule allow...

meeting at irv seaver is not a problem.. for me...

i will subscribe to the thread and gain insight about dates later...:clap

thanks!
  7. psychohawk

Oddometer:
    David, thanks for generosity and you sparked an idea ... if twice monthly theme, maybe once on a Saturday and the second time on a Sunday.

Problem is, no interest! :-) Maybe as date draws closer and route is defined, there will be some interest.

Carl

8. jeepdude65

jeepdude65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm interested...just say when and what time. Where are we going?
  9. jeepdude65

Oddometer:
    Oops! I just remembered I'm playing golf on Saturday! I guess I'll wait for the Sunday ride. If you want to meet and ride on Sunday send me a pm.
  10. ccwood

ccwood Adventure n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys...

I just moved to Costa Mesa from the east coast and really haven't gotten my bearings on where to ride around here yet. I ride an '08 R1200GS. I am psyched to see that there is possibly a new riding group getting started, as I could learn some places to ride and meet some new people at the same time! The downside is that I can't make the 29th or 30th! I am free the rest of the summer though! I will keep an eye on the thread and join in at the next ride if it gets together!

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good route near Costa Mesa and/or a pointer to another thread that is near my area?

:ricky Ride Hard!

Chris Wood :strum
    Costa Mesa, CA
    '08 R1200GS
  11. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to SoCal.

Try 5 south to 76 east. This gets you out to Mt. Palomar, Lake Henshaw & Julian area. Makes for a nice few miles, and if done during the weekday, it's even better!

Idyllwild, Hwy 74 Palms to Pines Hwy is nice, and also Angeles Crest Hwy in our local mountains. Also a quick trip up to Big Bear can be fun too.
  12. DangerMoney

DangerMoney Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer:
    If you do this ride and want some company, drop me a line. It's in my neck of the woods. There's also some big-bike friendly dirt in the area.
  13. jeepdude65

Oddometer:
    My buddy and I are riding this Sunday if you want to join us. I think we're headed towards Santa Maria for a long day ride. No dirt since he rides a BMW GT. I live south of you in Mission Viejo so we can meet up near your location. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.
  14. psychohawk

Oddometer:
    Hey, well I was planning to pre-ride something tomorrow but seeing as it's my wedding anniversary, my wife's made other plans ... caging it to Palm Springs!

I'm thinking for the 29th a trip to Big Bear via Apple Valley, Bear Valley Rd and some forest service roads ... it's been a few years since I've done this route so 1) I welcome the company; 2) I welcome route advice! :-)

Thus far it looks like a party of one! Me! No worries, it'll probably be miserably hot, the roads will be awesome and attractive, scantily clad women will be stationed at water stations ... if two of the three are true, I should be all right! :)

Carl
  15. ccwood

ccwood Adventure n00b

Oddometer:
    Jeepdude65,

Thanks for the offer to ride with you on Sunday and sorry for the late response? I won't be able to ride along with you Sunday. Hopefully, I can next time though!

:ricky Ride Hard!

Chris Wood :strum
    Costa Mesa, CA
    '08 R1200GS
  16. jeepdude65

Oddometer:
    No worries. I'm headed out now. Enjoy your Sunday.

George
  17. 5boomers

5boomers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good .. would like to join you on a ride some time soon. I live near the dealer. Last Sunday, rode the GS up to Big Bear Lake to check out District 37s, Two day Dual Sport ride .. this year they even had an easy trail for adventure bikes marked out with GPS tracks and maps. Breakfast and back before 1
  18. rc458

rc458 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a ride from IA to CA (Southgate) the last week of July and the first week of August to visit family/friends. While there, I was wondering if any rides had been planned for that timeframe and if you'd like some company.

I'd also like to know where you guys take your bike for service; my bike (2012 R1200GSA) will be ready (12,000 mi) and I didn't want to pick a place based on Google.

Thanks for your help,

Rod
  19. psychohawk

Oddometer:
    Hey ... the ride was unofficially cancelled ... only one rider showed (me!) so I had a really nice Saturday ride! :-) I'd be happy to go out and show around ... Southgate is only a few miles from my house.

1) Valdis Motozone, Torrance (independent, fair prices)
    2) Irv Seaver, Torrance (BMW Dealer, excellent!)
    3) Long Beach BMW (haven't used for service)

Carl
  20. Cannabinoid

Cannabinoid Banned

Oddometer:
    fixed