Wanted Can Am Sonic 500

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Moto North, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Moto North

Moto North Ontario ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,
    Kind of a long shot here but looking for any leads (in North America) if you or somebody you know has a Can Am Sonic 500 (enduro model) that they may want to sell. Not really looking to do a complete resto so would prefer something in fairly decent shape and mostly all there. Any info would really be apreciated.
  2. AustinJake

AustinJake DR650 - Versys

Oddometer:
    pretty cool bike

[​IMG]
  3. Moto North

Oddometer:
    Its a bit of Canadian history. This was the last year they were made in Canada before production swithched to England. I still remember drooling over one at my local dealer when I was a kid.
  4. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Same engine

[​IMG]
  5. Moto North

Oddometer:
    Not quite made in Canada though.
  6. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Not at all, but still cool. I've never seen that Can Am model before. I'm only slightly familiar with the old two strokes.
  7. singletrak

singletrak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember when they came out.... I really wanted one! Never did get one :cry

Singletrak
  8. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:
    There was one on Ebay i was looking at not long ago...it was bought and stored in a basement,,about 500 miles on it..........man was it minty...just like freekin new..nice ride..

B
  9. BIG ED XT FAN

BIG ED XT FAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why? I had one for about 3 years. Brakes were junk. Handling was bad. Bike was to tall. Side panels would break if crash. Lights were only there for looks. Muffler was big heavy. Your kicker was on the wrong side too.
    I loaded her in my van drove to bike week. Started the enduro and got 12 miles. My kick-starter broke and the inter gear broke into small parts. That happen 2 times to me. Sold the bike to a flat-tracker he just push starter her.
    I know of a shop who has about 20 gas tanks, and frames. Good Luck!!! ED:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky
  10. cyclewizard

cyclewizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    did yeah have to go and say that, you took the wind right out of my sail...:lol3
  11. Moto North

Oddometer:
    Yea, I know about all the faults. I had other Can Ams for years groing up and still have a couple so the left side kick start is normal to me. There's also a couple of trick to keeping that kicker from stripping or breaking. As for the handling...I'm not planning to run any six days enduros on it, just want it as a collector bike to ride around on the odd Sunday so it will do just fine. Thanks for the insight though. Wish you still had it and wanted to get rid of it.
  12. BIG ED XT FAN

BIG ED XT FAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    Yes, I also had a 500 2 stroke Cam-am too. We put lights on it , and added weight to the flywheel. I had a 3 1/2 gallon gas on her too. She drain fuel like to 25 miles per gallon!!! Always had extra gas on the trail for me. She was a west coast bike for sure.!! She like wide open places to open her up!! :lol3:lol3:lol3:deal:eek1
    My local dealer rode a Cam-Am 500 2 stroke in a local flat-!!track.:lol3 A rider name Fran Brown rode it. A national rider. A worst track to ride on it too. Canandaigua New York was the track. I think he won too.
    BIG ED XT&TT 600 FAN!! And a Cam-am rider too!! :lol3:lol3:lol3:clap:eek1
  13. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    A friend bought one brand new,I mainly remember things cracking and falling off the bike,and it was Heavy with that big square Rotax engine. Kinda how many old bikes were. It did look cool sitting there. The fiberglass tank falling to pieces was a distraction for sure,then the seat base cracked all to bits.
  14. FlyingPenguin

FlyingPenguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a Sonic new in '82. It is a tall bike, but you get used to it, and it was nice having the 13" of travel on both ends- way more than a stock XR or TT. The stock Ohlins on the rear worked good though I had to play with the forks. Now a Gold Valve would be the perfect fix. Stock, the power is ok and on a par with a stock XR or TT. I rode mine once and then sent the head off to Ron Wood who opened up the intake. After putting in a hi-comp piston, different cam, a 38mm DelOrto and ditching the stock muffler for a SuperTrapp it was a whole new motorcycle. Very wide powerband that pulls hard from idle right to the top. The brakes weren't any better or worse than any other drum brake. All of the '82s I've seen had plastic tanks. The louvered side panels under the seat were very fragile fiberglass.

I rode that bike for 10 years in everything from the Virginia City GP, to Enduros, Cross Country's and Flattrack. And thousands of mile of trail riding. For short track and TT I put on one short shock to pull down the rear, and then slid the forks up in the triple clamps to get the front right. That worked okay on cushion tracks where the bike could slide around, but the available traction on a groove track made for a very exciting ride.

Keep good quality oil in it (I usually used Chevron Delo 15w-40), change it every couple of hundred miles and the Rotax engine will outlast any other engine. I know some other guys who broke the kick lever, but that was only because they swung their boot at the lever like a 2 stroke. Put it over TDC and push it through properly and there is no problem. In fact most of the problems incurred by other riders always seemed to be because they rode the bike like a 2 stroke.

As you already know, finding a complete 82 twin shock Sonic will be very difficult- most were cannibalized for dirt trackers. I still have my original Sonic, now a rolling chassis since I put the engine into a C&J frame (1 of 2 twin shock frames made for ATK in 82 for the 4-Stroke Nat'ls). I searched for several years before I found another complete '82 to restore. Good luck.
  15. BIG ED XT FAN

BIG ED XT FAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting. Nice to see you rode your Cam-am. Cheers BIG ED XT&TT 600 FAN!!! and Cam-Am rider!!!
  16. Moto North

Oddometer:
    Yea, thanks for posting your experiences with the Sonic. Good to hear you still have it.
  17. crash n bern

crash n bern Long timer

Oddometer:
    They come up from time to time for around the $1,200 mark for an average runner. The motor is worth more than that alone. The last couple I've seen were bought by Aussies and shipped home. So they usually end up owing around $2,500 - 3,000

A few of the mint ones have been asking high dollars but don't sell.

I have heard of and seen brand new rollers minus motors turn up for sale on the flat Trackers website as back in the day they bought them for the motors. The last one I saw was asking around $700 but motors are hard to find and not cheap.

I own a fairly original unmolested but patina'd one downunder and paid handsomely for it, as they rarely come up for sale here.

Fairly rare and collectible bike, I was lucky, the day I decided that I wanted one I picked up a bike trader mag and there was one for sale.
  18. Glenc44

Glenc44 n00b

Oddometer:
    This may be a moment of weakness for me. I have an 82 Can-Am Sonic 500. It has been my only off road bike for around 20 years. I also have a complete disassembled roller for spare parts.I have 8 hours on a complete engine rebuild with the good parts. This is not an offer to sell but could turn into that so lets talk.
  19. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have both a Canadian twin shocker and an English built Mono. 82 and 83 respectively.

[​IMG]

Here's the 82 in Yamaha - Ducati sandwich.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the '83 during refurbishment back in the mid-90's.
  20. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I raced MX back in the 80's. 250's and 500's Last couple of bikes were Husky's. I always thought the Can Am's were cool bikes. Great motors.