1993 Suzuki GSX1100G? (shaft drive) Opinions/advice?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Boredsurfer, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Boredsurfer

Boredsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Work buddy is looking at one over the weekend....looks good on paper i.e. reliable, smooth inline-4 air/oil cooled with approx 100bhp mated to a proven shaft drive set-up.

Did a little research on the net, but wanted to hear the real deal/skinny on riding characteristics/ownership&maintenance woes from you the expert advrider panel..........don't know why mind you, everybody knows you guys know little about motorcycles:evil Thnx
  2. dualsportdave

dualsportdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love the older Suzuki's - have a GS700ES - have never owned a G model (shaftie) but people who have them love them. Bulletproof along with the motors. You might check out www.thegsresources.com great website for the Suzuki GS series. Mostly deals with the older style motors though that are not using the SACHs air-oil cooler motor. That is a well proven powerplant though - older GSXR's and Katanas used them. If the bike is in good shape and runs well, I don't think you could go wrong.
  3. valetz

valetz AdvRidr Wannabe

Oddometer:
    The GS resources wont give you much on this machine, it mostly references the older ones (80's)

You need to go here for the '91-'93 version. http://www.gsx1100g.com/

I've got one, I've had just over a year... no problems so far...
    (I mounted a Vetter Terraplane to it)

2 things to note:
    1) Carb slides, there is a guy you can send them to, to get them fixed, otherwise Suzuki want to sell you lots of extra stuff.
    2) The bike has a heck of alot of rake and weight for a sport touring machine. (I have an FJR)

Otherwise it seems to be a solid machine, apparantly Suzuki overpriced them, and they didn't sell, so it was only in the US for 3 years.

Depends what he wants to do on it, otherwise yeah, tell him to pull the trigger.

If he needs after the purchase support, there is a GSX Yahoo list.

-bvw.
  4. Boredsurfer

Boredsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanx gents.......already found those websites and read thru some of them - just wanted to check about handling impressions; gut tells me it's probably a bit of a bus but tracts solid once leaned over. I'll print and pass this on. Thnx again
  5. titansuzi

titansuzi n00b

Oddometer:
    I've had mine almost a year. Love it. No problems, and also turns out that rear suspenssion parts(shock assy) off a 97 GSXR750(I think, gotta shuffle thru ur local boneyard's stock) fits the GSX1100G and has slightly better response and travel.
  6. titansuzi

titansuzi n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone! I'd like to submit this thread for everyone who owns this piece of equipment, as well as start a query about rear tire sizes. Can I put a 170/60 on my rear rim on this bike? Any and all responses are greatly appreciated!!! Thanks n keep the shiny side up, (and away from rotting trees!!!!)
  7. wfrpalm

wfrpalm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you guys have gotta show some pics. i like them old gs'
  8. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    semi-random bump..
  9. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it hasn't been done already,it will need fr fork springs,just sitting on it will almost use up its travel.
  10. mike884

mike884 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was eyeing one of these bikes in a 1991 model... curious if anyone had any input? Seems some people think its a boat, some not. I like stability, but some handling would be nice. My vstrom 650 had the handling, but man on the highway it had the RLS ( random lane syndrome) it just wandered and was a bit twitchy.
  11. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed that it is a heavy bike and the stock springs are in need of a swap for more control and feedback. Stock it was very sloppy and mushy.

Awesome bike though. A Suzuki big bore 4 that never needs a chain adjustment!
  12. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I had one. I wish I had kept it longer. I did a couple of long trips on it. Mine had a Corbin, a windshield, and some hiway pegs. It was quite comfy. It's also a torque monster. It's big and heavy, and the suspension is soft. I would buy another one today if I could.
    twinrider likes this.
  13. mike884

mike884 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well i picked up the 91... will report back... thanks for the advice
    twinrider likes this.
  14. deserttrail46

deserttrail46 Old Guy in Desert

Oddometer:
    Check out Yahoo GSX forum (especially RichB from Arizona tech data on carbs and final drive Maint). This will save you a lot of issues.

I have put 500 mi on my GSX (1992, 38K) in a year. Replacing ignition switch ($31, eBay ) as soon as I recover from open heart surgery in March. Looking fwd to riding this moto again. Lots of power, a little heavy in parking lots, but that is not where I spend my time. Owned 4 Beemers, CX500, Kawa F8, Suzi DR650, 305 Superhawk, Cushman ,etc over last 54 years.

Good riding, Sir!
  15. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fast, heavy, bullet proof, and fast. I had one with some stage 1 jets and a Jardine pipe, and it had frightening amounts of torque. No real issues, was plenty fast enough for me, handled pretty well for a big machine, I sometimes wished I had one of the rare ones with a fairing. Was a good bike. If you mess with the carbs, be sure you put them back together right... leak down can be an issue... don't ask me how I know.
  16. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    My oldest son has one. Other than spitting out the oil drain plug because the po cross threaded it, it has been stone axe reliable.

This crappy pic is from the night we drove to pick it up

[​IMG]
  17. mike884

mike884 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    its been fantastic so far.... I mirror that its a little heavy to move around but once you get going its great. Handled the dragon just fine... and boy is it smooooth, torquey, fast.... did i mention fast? :eek1 Shaft drive is just icing on the cake
  18. mike884

mike884 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone here have any extras for this bike they want to part with? Backrest, crashbars, etc?
  19. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I may have something. I have a ton of parts from previous bikes in my garage. I know still have the OEM seat. I will look the first chance I get. Mine had a Corbin backrest (which I still have) and the crashbars were still on it when I let it go. Anything else?
  20. SpaceKnight

SpaceKnight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had mine for 20 years and love it. Very reliable and I'll never sell it.

Very stable, fast and has lots of torque. Over 20mph you can just keep it in top gear. Not the most nimble but it does have that "holy - s:eek1" factor when you nail it.

[​IMG]
    1 wheel peel and baekdongmul like this.