TAT bike WR250R or DR650

Discussion in 'Americas' started by 8gv, Feb 8, 2013.

1. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I weigh 240# with gear on. My camping etc stuff weighs 45#. I prefer a lighter bike. I prefer a lower seat. The DRZ400 is both heavy and tall so it's not for me.

Is there enough rough stuff to require the off road capabilities of the WR? Do the long stretches of dirt roads and paved roads beg for a DR650?
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    If you're that weight, plus gear, you aren't going to banging rough terrain fast - at least not on a continual basis.
    Lower a DR650 a tad and have at it, and have a blast.
  3. LetItRoll

LetItRoll ForwardAholic

Oddometer:
    Biggest advantage to the WR250R is of course speed offroad, a DR650 with knobbies and a 12t or 13t countershaft sprocket will go anywhere (at slower speed). Just make sure whatever you have, it is properly set up (tires and gearing) for your riding style and ability. A WR250R is only a fraction of an inch lower than a DRZ on paper, but not really noticable sitting on them, they can be lowered but kind of defeats some of the benefits, and a DR650 is alot lower in the factory low setting. I have put 32,000 miles (50%dirt) on a DR650, and am now looking at getting a WR250R but height is not a factor for me, and I only weigh 160 so a 250's power is okay for me also. The fact that you mention height as a factor and your weight, I would think the DR650 properly setup would have a overall advantage (as long as your not trying to cover 200 miles a day of singletrack). The group I ride with, in akward or tough situations bike height always seems to be a bigger problem than bike weight for both the novice and expert riders. On a trip that long, on any bike it is not a bad idea to carry a small countershaft sprocket with you, things don't always go according to plan. Have Fun
  4. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Rich, You should pm Dan, aka VTBeemer. He did the TAT on a WR this past summer. I think his experience was quite positive.

To defend the DRZ400, it is lighter than the DR650 and has about the same horsepower and about the same seat height. Both bikes can be lowered. It would be handy if you got one so Anton, Tom and I can steal your shiny parts this summer.
  5. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alas...all my parts, like my mind, are dull:D
  6. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should fuel injection be a factor to consider? Are the TAT elevations high enough to make me want to rejet a carb enroute?
  7. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    At your weight,I would be a little concerned about the WR's power at higher elevations, compared to the DR's. The WR is a tall bike too maybe as tall as the DRZ. DRZ is better off road than the DR650.

The DR is more than adequate for the TAT. You're calling the DRZ heavy???? yeah what about the DR???

If properly set up jetting shouldn't be an issue. I road my DRZ at the high elevations and had no problem, bike was jetted for 550 feet but was set up a wee bit lean.
  8. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    True, the DR is 50# more than the DRZ. It just seems that with the few inches in extra height the DRZ seems heavier. With a 30" inseam, I have found from sitting on both that the DR fits me better than the DRZ. I have ridden none of these bikes and probably should.

Am I correct in the assumption that the WR's fuel injection will compensate for the less dense mountain air?
  9. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    At 30" inseam you are going to be very challenged on the WRR unless you install a Kouba Link, take one inch out of the stock suspension adjustment on the shock, and get a Seat Concepts saddle which is one inch lower. I was with OneLess on the TAT and his DRZ did great if it was a bit heavy on the occasional pick up (plan on a few dirt naps). He certainly zoomed up California Pass while I had to work at it (I weigh 190 without gear). With a 50 tooth rear sprocket the WRR would have done California with no worries. That was the only place where power was a problem, and that's 13K feet. You will be able to cover pavement and gravel faster on the DRZ, but the WRR is superior when it gets tight or technical. It's light so you can just toss it where you need it. Get the lightest bike you are comfortable on. 'Gotta pick your poison!
  10. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:

How comfortable is the Seat Concepts seat? On the WR with a llowering link, the seat and maybe sliding the forks up a bit, what do you figure the seat height could be? I'd have to lower a DRZ as well. The DR is nice and low but... Do you have a bigger tank on the WR?
  11. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    the WR's feel a lot lighter than the DRZ, but looking at the specs it ain't that much. I'd rather pick up the WR than the DRZ. No matter which bike you choose you'll need about a 200 mile range. 240 miles is more than enough!
  12. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I can't compare apples to apples here, Rich, but the tall Seat Concepts I put on my Dizzer is a fantastic saddle. I don't think clipping 3/4" off would hurt it much. Seat Concepts foam is truly in another league. It's one of the most cost-effective farkles I've done.

Given my inseam, I'd be better off with the standard saddle, but my right knee is much more sensitive than my butt. I'd rather be a bit high in the saddle and take the the occasional dab than have to cope with the pain otherwise.
  13. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    So how's the subframe on the WR? Can it handle 45# of my crap?
  14. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Steel subframe, so you are good.
  15. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    I've got a DR650 and a WR250R. I'm, 6'4" and 250lbs and the WRR handles me fine. I love the WRR and did a ton of research before buying one. If I was leaving on a Tat trip, it would be with the WRR. Personally for me the DR is cramped and the WRR feels so light. I love the 6 speed gearbox, FI is awesome, and it handles of road really nicely.
  16. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see in your sig line you have a DR650 and a WR250R. Which would you prefer to take on the TAT for a full length ride?
  17. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Lowered WR at the 2012 RedNek Rendezvous:

[​IMG]

Seat height can't be more than a few inches off the ground! :lol3

Bike is VTBeemers, and did the TAT later that season.
  18. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, the subframe is no problem at all on the WR. It's strong! The Seat Concepts is a WINNER! I can ride mine all day, day after day, have done so, and no problem.

As for gearing, I'm reluctant to go down on the CS sprocket as some have had problems with the chain getting too close to the WRR's swing arm and chain protector. Also, the larger you can go on the CS, the happier the chain will be. I prefer to go up on the back and get a longer chain. I ran 47 on the TAT, and would go with 50 if did it again. Not only does that give you the umph to get up the tallest peaks in the thin air, but it will let you use third gear in many places where with the 47 you are either screaming in second or lugging in third. The 50 will also let you use 6 on the highway, loaded, and still do 65mph all day long. My chain of choice is the DID X-Ring Gold. Very durable and no noticeable stretch over 8500 miles of the TAT.
  19. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    See my post above. WRR all day long.
  20. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a strong endorsement, but im still on the fence. Maybe you could lend me your WR and I'll do the TAT. Next I could borrow the DR650 and try that one for TATII (tattoo?). When I return to see that wifey has sold the house and left all my crap in the street I can ride even more!:evil