Kiwi Dreams - Europe & Morocco 2014

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by young1, Apr 17, 2014.

1. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Phil, surely photo shop could have given me more hair???

Some of the inmates might recognise Phreaky Phil's name. After his trips from NZ to Akaska and another doing the TAT he is our inspiration for doing overseas trips.

He is also a top bloke, more than once he has dropped what he was doing to come and help work on KT. What I think is so difficult he makes look easy...

He has also offered to be our "on call" mechanic if we run into any problems overseas. Awesome :-)

Thanks Phil!
  2. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    New Zeakand's isolation from other countries is one of its features. Of course if you live in NZ and want to go to another country it takes a long time. 36 hours after leaving home I have arrived at my London accommodation. It is 5.30pm here but my body clock is still set to Kiwi time where it is 4.30 am, so my body thinks it should be in a deep sleep, not sitting in the sun.

You know you are tired when;

1) 10 hours into the Singapore to London flight you wonder why the flowing soap in the bathrooms smells so good but doesn't lather up, yes I was using the mouth wash
    2) You get on the train from Heathrow, get off at the stop, get out the motorbike GPS for the what I had been told was an 8 minute walk. The GPS confirmed an arrival time in approx 9 minutes, so off I walk..... 15 mins later I realise the GPS thinks I am driving. 5 minutes after that I remembered I was meant to get off the train AND switch to another line for one more stop. After walking for 30 minutes I found a cab. Hmmm

Also some quick thinking at customs, I didn't think that I should tell the customs official that I was unemployed, instead told him that I was on leave (well I did have 4 weeks paid out so not really a lie)

And aren't the Airbus A380's are enormous (up there with a GSA 1200 ha ha) how does something that big get in the air. Nice to fly in as they are very quiet in the cabinin.

Here is the big bird at Singapore (photo taken through a dirty window);
    [​IMG]

My hands still smell nice :-)
  3. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Off to a great start :lol3
  4. zadok

zadok Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife is originally from Waitara, so I know the area a little. Top shot of New Plymouth.
    Looks like a great ride you have planned. I'll keep an eye on your updates.:nod
  5. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet your glad to get that haul out of the way. :huh
    What day do you pick up the bike ?
  6. Dotbond

Dotbond Africa, Africa

Oddometer:
    Spill the beans on getting the bike to the UK?
    Did you send by sea or air?
    Company?
    Price?

Cheers
    Trev
  7. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wednesday morning then zoom zoom :-)
  8. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. O2B Riding

O2B Riding n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike, Welcome to England, Would love to catch up either here or London, give us a call...07548389727, Cheers Mo and Anne
  10. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greetings from London. Today's update is going to include photos of me (in case family and friends forget what I look like) a couple of London sites, fast cars, motorbikes (yeah!) alcohol and gorgeous girls :-)

First pics of me
    I paid for a day tour meaning I could get on and off the bus as I wanted

[​IMG]

With lunch in Trafalgar Square;

[​IMG]

Shots of London include the London Eye with Big Ben behind (how is that for arty and from a moving bus lol)

[​IMG]

For the kid in us, how is this toy shop, 6 levels of toys, out of this world (Hamleys / Hemleys or something like that)

[​IMG]

And there is a hotel on Park Lane, glad I didn't land on that square!

[​IMG]

Check out the tourists swamping this poor chap (Horse Guards very near Downing Street)

[​IMG]

The New Zealand war memorial, it is an awesome memorial, still with wreaths from ANZAC day around it

[​IMG]

Fast cars, here is proof of the Kiwi link to McLaren cars (and I am being serious), the McLaren badge is a stylised Kiwi (bird and not fruit)

[​IMG]

I went into Park Lane BMW, what an awesome dealership with both cars and bikes, these are some of the bikes on display (more bikes and all the BMW riding gear was on another floor). I did ask if I could test drive a car on Wednesday as far as Gravesend (where my bike is) but they weren't too keen on that!

[​IMG]

And alcohol, here is my new friend John who introduced me to "Pride of London" ale, I was glad his wife arrived to take him shopping....

[​IMG]

And sorry if I tricked you, no gorgeous girls until Leanne arrives next week!

But I can leave you with this, a PINK helmet on a Harley, unbelievable (he was bigger than me so I wasn't going to say anything at the time!

[​IMG]
  11. Hemuli

Hemuli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear that you made it to UK.
    I will keep on following this post.
    Now just need to keep fingers crossed that bike arrives without any problems.

-Hemuli
  12. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bike is here already, been available for two weeks :-)
  13. nunoajc

nunoajc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi. I live in Faro. If you need any assistance or just drink a beer, please dont hesitate. Have a Nice trip.

Enviado do meu ME173X através de Tapatalk
  14. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good thank you, we will be in touch regarding meeting up for a beer :-)

Kiwi Mike
  15. Matt

Matt Dirt Virgin

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike,
    go to the Nurburgring if you can. It wasn't on my plan but it was amazing riding around and was one of the highlights of my trip.

Matt
  16. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Matt, that sounds like a cunning plan (although I am not sure the drivers will appreciate me wobbling around their track as a mobile chicane). I understand you can pay and be driven around in a BMW, depending on how the budget is looking then that could be an option.

Kiwi Mike
  17. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This will (all going well) be the last "non riding" update as I pick up KT tomorrow and head to France.

A cultural day today (in other words the effects of the London Pride from last night slowed me down), went to Science Museum, National History museum and very briefly the Victoria and Albert museums.

Also found myself shopping in Bond St, definitely out of my price range, one jeweller had a ring for over 750,000 pounds(!) and walking through St James and Green Parks

Anyway some pictures.

Mum this is the bed and breakfast where I am staying. As you can see it is very popular, a lot of people wanting to stay there.

[​IMG]

Luckily some soldiers and bands arrived to move them on.

[​IMG]

Christine tell John that I was tempted to buy him this 3100 pound bottle of whiskey but that would have put me over my duty free allowance, anyway isn't it the thought that counts?

[​IMG]

I managed to use my Kiwi skill and charm to join the suits in the 3000 pounds per year RAC club. Awesome to see Ayrton Senna's car on display. Unfortunately my zip off pants stood out and I was (very) soon asked to leave (the club has an Olympic size pool in the basement).

[​IMG]

And Leanne please tell Mark (our butcher) that Fortnam and Masons don't sell Chesdale cheese, everything else though!

Zoom zoom tomorrow!!

Kiwi Mike
  18. nunoajc

nunoajc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok. I know you have done your homework about your visit in Portugal , but i would like to give you some advice, if you dont mind. Im at work now, so when arrive home i can do that. Have a nice ride and ride safe.
  19. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bonjour from France. Have been in France for 10 minutes and nearly went around a roundabout the wrong way, I rode through a red light and stepped out in front of a scooter when crossing the road as I was looking the wrong way. I have to remember that in Europe they drive on the right (I better learn that very quick).

Am waiting for lunch to arrive, I know it is a chicken something, as I recognised Poulet, but not sure what else is coming with it.

Anyway inmates the BIG news today is that I now have a bike, it started okay and I have found my way to France.

Leaving the warehouse in Gravesend

[​IMG]

About to board the Chunnel train

[​IMG]

140km/hr under the Channel

[​IMG]

Small town France, stopped to find somewhere for lunch.

[​IMG]

(Leanne I have put my watch forward one hour so for Skyping I am now 10 hours behind you)

By the way my lunch has arrived, it appears to be a bagel filled with salad, chicken and bacon.
  20. Matt

Matt Dirt Virgin

Oddometer:
    "I have a cunning plan m'lord........."

Ride it mate - I was on a '91 flying brick with all the luggage. Got passed on both sides and shat myself a couple of times but I was happy I passed one vehicle - a bus.

:lol3