Rally Navigation Roadbook Creation

Discussion in 'Racing' started by MotoMinded, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:

Fantastic tool to pre-run and study the roadbook.
  2. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :tb
  3. RenoMoto

RenoMoto Rally Navigator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good motivation!
  4. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wish you succes!!!!!! :wink:
  5. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is it ready yet?
  6. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about now?

:lol3
  7. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have one comment about the importing of GPX or whatever you want to call it: The turns are not necessarily at the same place where the gps decides to drop a point so the mileage and the turns will not tie up.

The ONLY way this will work is if you digitize the line in GE, but then there is the problem of different radius curves - How does this tool deal with that? Those of you who have made road books will know what I am talking about here. Sometimes a curve smooth with lots of points and an angle change of 5 degree increments, but its still a hazard or navigation point and would not necessarily be picked up by the software.

Don't get me wrong: I think this is a step in the right direction and I applaud what you guys are doing but I have my doubts its going to make things much easier at all for a while yet. Regardless, I would probably buy a copy anyway if it were available for sale just because when I sleep I dream about road books and road book creation.:lol3
  8. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think this is a great idea and it is a step in the right direction ...

In any case, rally roadbooks have to be validated so I think the plan would be to print the roadbook that you have created and go over to do the track and validate it. This is what I think is great. Instead of going on and on and finding routes out of nowhere you plan and then check... You miss the fun of going out and getting lost but let's leave that for the race :D

At the moment, even in the near future I cannot see how GE could be used without validating the track ... :huh
  9. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    Neil, you are correct, you do need to adjust your track to the actual contour. But even so, it's a lot easier to drag points on an existing GPX track with our tool than it is to re-create the entire route from scratch. It's just a shortcut way to get started, but by no means are we trying to auto-create a finished route from a GPX file.

Buying it? Nope. The tool is intended to build the rally community by putting good route creation tools into the hands of riders and promoting sharing of routes. The idea is that it will be free to use, with the caveat that your route will be shared in the Route Library for others to use. We will have some premium version of the service that will cost, but those details are not yet decided.

Dave

10. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:

:clap:clap:clap:clap
  11. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Is it ready NOW? :lol3
  12. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds really awesome Dave! :freaky

BTW if anyone wants to do Stage 15 of the 2012 Dakar as a warmup for next year, please contact me. I have the RB :deal
  13. greglewis

greglewis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oak Park, Illinoisistan - the straight road state
    Where can I meet someone who's "in the know", ya know?

Greg
  14. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    If you can incorporate a "So... you can't find your arse in the dark with both hands?" user function...
    that can be up loaded into the GPS and help keep (simultaneous) track of where the rider is relative to the roadbook,
    then you'll be able to sell heaps of them over here at navigation rallies. :clap
  15. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    If I may leave suggestions, please allow us to print a "draft" with blank lines between every one of the google earth generated ones, so that we have more space to write corrections on the track . Printed characters in this drafted version could be in gray, so that we can scribble over them, correcting what is necessary.

Altering an existing roadbook is tedious, please consider tools to deal with sections - insert or delete pieces of the roadbook, correcting the rest of the distances accordingly.

Neil - check the new generation of GPS bluetooth dongles / data loggers. They are logging positions 5 times per second if you want them to. I have one of the older 1 Hz loggers and if I set it to log at max resolution most turns are over detailed. Anyway, there will always be differences between GPS track distance, Google earth and ICO's, or even between two of your own passings with the same bike and instruments...
  16. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    A month past away since last post.

Hope your all on track, with all the variables. :wink:
  17. vbenedic

vbenedic Rider

Oddometer:
  18. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Dakar Addict!

Oddometer:
    Looks good, even though my Portuguese is non existent!

I used to use RBEditor but when I recently attempted to download it onto a new PC, I keep getting a message telling me the files are corrupted?

I'll have to copy it over from the old PC and see if it still works!
  19. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    We're still plugging away. Working on the drawing tools at the moment. We'll have another update soon.

Dave
  20. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take your time, a one man time consuming process.

Writing such scripts, you must be over 150 pages.:wink: