URGENT: how do you make sure a tree will never grow back

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ricardo Kuhn, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    So the power company came to my house like 20 minutes ago and they want to cut my kiddos tree house because is to closee to the power lines that is permited (12 feet) this are only the upper branches of the tree above the tree house (we cut the top of the tree about 4 years ago..)

anyway how can I make sure the limbs of the tree never grow back, the chief ingeenier is coming at any minute and I need solutions pronto if not the beloved tree house will be gone before the night end

thanks..
  2. zetabird

zetabird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    around here they cut the limb back then tar the stump of it and put a tin cap on and screw it on. im sure there are other ways
  3. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:

I offer them something like that and they say it was not a 100% reliable, man this guys are so by the book is kind of scary... I also propose to sign a contract stating I will cut the branches my self every few months so they will never reach the power line (the 12 range) and they say no to that too...
  4. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    make them talk to your kids directly.
  5. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Actually that is a great idea..
  6. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Girdle it. Cut about an inch width strip of the bark away all around the trunk exposing the cambium. It'll stop the flow of nutrients. It'll kill the entire tree not just new branches. Prolly take a year but guaranteed to kill it.
  7. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    I don't understand half the words but it does make sense, do you have a link or a simpler explanaion of things like "Girdle"

sorry my Ingles sucks
  8. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    No I don't but the cambium is the woody area directly under the rough bark. Kinda wet and sticky. That's the hwy the food flows on. Girdle(ring) just refers to going all the way around the trunk. You want to create a continuous circular gap in the bark all the way around.The nutrients won't jump across the gap you create. Depending on the size of the tree but you want a wide gap. If too narrow a gap the tree can fill the wound with pitch/sap and protect and somewhat heal itself. Still weaken it's health but won't kill it anytime soon unless it's already in poor health. Just cutting off the limbs and sealing the ends against rot just forces the tree to direct the food to the nearest branches and/or branch buds below the cut and form new branches. You'll be pruning every year forever.
  9. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Sadly I don'r have any pictures, but the tree is suppose to be death, well we got it cut from almost 30 feet high to just the roof of the tree house because it was falling apart (two branches feel and they where totally hollow)

[​IMG]

Anyway the problems are the branches above the tree house, my last idea is to cut the tree trunk at about 20 from the floor of the tree house and make a table on top of it (Obviuslly fix the hole on the roof) that way the branches will never get that high, will see if the guy is smaer and flexible or just a burocratic machine

oh the tree truck is about 4 maybe 5 feet in diameter
  10. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    if it's now cut back out of range, you are in compliance, tell him to fuck off.
  11. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    The Tree is, but the branches had grow since we cut the tree four years ago ( the company promise the tree will be death and nothing will ever grow out of it)

I'm still waiting from a call from the main supervisor...

I guess we can build another tree house (we have no more trees) but you know some kind of A frame base with a platform on the top, sadly we are kind of broken and will crash the heart of our little kiddolinna until we have build one..
  12. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    The point is that if you cut the branches back you are once again in compliance.

You have a treehouse.

You have a kid.

Do you have a local television news program?

Give one of their reporters a call about an interssting news item that you know about.
  13. cam188

cam188 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I work for a power company as long as you maintain clearance we don't care. You are doing more than most. They expect us to maintain their privately owned trees. He should be thrilled you are paying to have it trimmed.
  14. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    What they say is that they can not warranty the free branches will not grow up and reach that 12 feet range, Liability I know, I even propose to sign a agreement that I will keep the branches trim if they grow back
  15. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are already required to trim the branches back. What the power company is wanting is to overreach their authority to keep the right of way clear. Since the main trunk of the tree is not in the right of way they cannot force you to have it cut down, nor can they cut it down themselves. :deal What they can do (and appear to be doing) is to bully you.
  16. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:

This morning my newbourd text me saying " hey ricky the are going to cut your freehouse, the truck allready on the driveway of my friend property the boom was up and the saws warming up if is not because I come out and demand to talk to a suprvisor the tree house will be gone, no asking, no warning, nothing

Now I'm collect information to probe the kill can kill and will never grow up anymore
  17. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    This

They have an easement. They have the right to lay waste to anything within their easement. They do not have any property rights outside their easement. If they do damage to real property they have no rights to, there are penalties. You would have to check state laws but tree theft carries heavy penalties. A quick google glance says New York is 3x the value of the wood. I think I recall Massachusetts being 3x the replacement cost of planting an equivalent tree.

They have a right to trim the tree and can choose to do so in a way that is unhealthy for the tree but if you trim the tree clear of their easement, they have no say on the rest of your property. They can obviously be a bully and may choose to overstep their legal bounds banking on you not pursuing them.

This hypothetical shit about what if the tree regrows would not fly in court. Trim your tree and tell them to contain themselves to their easement or you will seek payment for their transgressions.

If you give some kind of written notice to the cutter, you will have more amunition if they choose to proceed. Document your interactions (conversations in person and over the phone) with the company. When I was fighting BMW, I wrote emails to myself, that date and time stamps what you have written. Keep a copy of whatever you give to the cutter telling them to fuck off.
  18. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Many thanks..

The power line is about ten feet into out our property, i say well move it, the guy say " well when you sing the sale contract for the house you acceot the line was there"

Im still waiting for this guy Travis to call (the main guy of the power company when it comes to trees) but I think I have a good idea, cut the tree about 16/18 inches from the floor of the tree house (Inside the house) so we can apply tar and rgwn make a table usuable for the kiddos, the top of the tree has no structural value when it comes to the structure so it will not matter if is gone, but then the closes point will be the roof of the tree house that is about 14 feet away from the power line..

Will see if they have some mercy..
  19. drhach

drhach We can't stop here, this is bat country!!

Oddometer:
    Two things that I hate to say but are probably true:

1. There is the factor of your language barrier. Immigrants tend to get bullied. Sorry, it's true. It happens in every country on Earth.

2. Call a lawyer and have the lawyer call them.

They're not taking you seriously, they clearly don't believe that they have to. You need to change that quickly. Escalate it legally and forcefully. I'm not generally a fan of lawyers, but sometimes they come in handy.

20. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Im much better speaking than i;m writing (Dixlexic) but your are totally right, they do take you like a joke, i'm afraid of giving the number to my wife (when I get it) since she can get pretty aggesive and her tong carries the fire of the gods..

I did find some good news my next door friend is a lawyer and he actually knows (they play poker togheter ones a week) one of the lawyers that work for the power company (on a different field) but maybe he can contact the guy in charge or at least find a way to bend the rules..