KTM 690 Enduro centerstand

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by cybbe, Jan 15, 2010.

1. cybbe

cybbe n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, does anyone know where i can buy or get a link to "how to build/mod a centerstand for ktm 690 enduro?
    I have tried so hard to find any information but i failed.

Please help me:clap
  2. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    You might want to ask on the Thumpers forum.
    There is a 690 thread running there.

MAX
  3. cybbe

cybbe n00b

Oddometer:
    ok thx, but i still need some help, ill hange here for a while - maby i get lucky...
    ( and MAX you did "bury" my question in the 690 thread by making a 1 page statement under it about something else lol...)
  4. cybbe

cybbe n00b

Oddometer:
    Not 1 person in the world seams to know where to find a CENTERSTAND
    for ktm 690

do you?:deal
  5. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    If you don't get an answer in the 690 thread then it is very likely that it doesn't exist. I certainly haven't seen one.

Doesn't surprise me to be honest, most people buy the 690 for it's offroad prowess. A center stand usually weighs a lot and reduces ground clearance.
  6. cybbe

cybbe n00b

Oddometer:
    yes many you are right:D , but i really miss the ktm640 centerstand.
    The weight thing i really don belive, just look at what stuff people put on their bikes, they looks more like an overloaded mule:evil than a bike.
    i can spare a few cm ground clearance and if get a great C-stand.
    (690e is a joke for pure enduro if you look at the max steering radius)

sorry for my crappy english, its not my 1st language.

I didnt get any answer in the 690 thread, people are more interested in suspention mods and other stuff, thats just the way it is.

I have seen som cool centerstands to other bikes, one was built like an extended bashplate when it was in up position.

I really appreciate you took time to answer anyway.
  7. Maurizio

Maurizio 2 smoker

Oddometer:
    IMHO it is rather difficult to fit a centerstand on 690 due to the frame (or better, no-frame) structure in the pegs/rear brake pump area.

Just my two cents, and now I continue to discuss about suspension... :rofl
  8. cybbe

cybbe n00b

Oddometer:
    yes there is a some problems to get it to work with the "no frame", but i have allso seen many solve greater problems than that here :D

suspension is mounted from factory!:evil
    center stand is not.. ill solve it and come back ...
    Maby there is no room for a centerstand with all your luggage mods hihi.:lol3

thanks anyway all of you...:freaky
  9. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    If I were going to do it (probably wouldn't as I removed the center stand on my old LC4 so I could install a side-stand), I would start with a metal skid-plate (I use a Flatland on my 690) and weld up an "H" stand out of small size tubing. Then weld rod tabs to the top of each side of the H. The rods would fit inside two short pieces of tube (sized to make a simple plain bearing) which would be welded/bolted to the bottom rear part of the skid-plate. Use something simple (KTM rubber band) to hold the stand up. Should only decrease ground clearance by 3/4" as measured from under the foot-pegs.
  10. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Is adjustable.
  11. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    Not much.
  12. cybbe

cybbe n00b

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good idea! Is there any chance you could make a simple sketch /drawing of this idea? To help me understand (under stand:D ) better?, because my english isnt too good.

The bashplate i have seen, its 85$ i think... maby i can find it on ebay or so.:clap

ps. do you still use inch or have you gone to metric/mm yet?

thx.
  13. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    Cybbe, this is a really crappy picture but you might be able to use it to improve the design and make $$$ on. :D

Officially we are still on inch standard, but lots of manufacturers use metric, so we have both.

[​IMG]
  14. Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike Too Old and Too Slow Supporter

Oddometer:
    The problem you will have doing it like this will be the stop in the down position. There will be a lot of force placed on the connection to the bash plate. If it is not sturdy enough it will deform or break loose the bolts. To prevent that you may need to place a steel backing plate on top of the bash plate to distribute the force over a greater area. Placing a stop that will not casue you to loose even more ground clearance is also an issue.

You will have to strap it up as suggested because the upper spring attachment needs to be a little higher then the pivot of the stand or there will not be enough tension to keep the stand up.

You need also to locate the balance point of the bike so that the front is not to light. This is very near the foot peg location and the center stand attachment will need to be rearward of that point.

Send me a picture of the bottom, from front and back and I will see if I can give you any ideas.

Cigar Mike
  15. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    Mike,

All excellent points. This isn't my project; just a (not much thought) suggestion. The 690 bikes have a trellis frame and plastic skid-plate. There are skid-plates which extend past the pegs so one of those would be required as you note (Flatland does not). The 690 e tends to be a bit rear heavy. I just weighed mine with full tank, tank bag, rear rack with bag of tubes, tools, rain-suit, etc. and it was 159.8 (front)+187.2 (rear) using a digital scale which is 3/4" high, so the measurement is pretty accurate. Other weights will vary depending on mods. Mine is minus a bunch and plus others and I run a Leo Vince SBK. I haven't measured where the foot pegs are along the 58" wheelbase. Again, I don't want a center stand, so I hereby tender my resignation as chief design engineer on this project. :D Time for a Cigar Mike. :lol3
  16. Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike Too Old and Too Slow Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was not trying to be critical of you. Sorry it came off that way. I only wanted to mention that there are some difficulties when building the center stands. I found out the hard way on most of them. The skid plates themselves usually are not strong enough to support the leverage that would be place on them. I am not an engineer, I have just through trail and error discovered a few things.

Your ideas have merit and you are the only one that offered any suggestions which is a start to discussing the project and invites other ideas. Since you own the bike and I don't you would have a better idea then me on what may eventually work.

Cheers,

Cigar Mike
  17. cybbe

cybbe n00b

Oddometer:
    Dont resign yet, haha...(thx for the drawing allso)
    I really didn´t think that i would get this good response! thx
    About the pictures, well i can take a few picures an post them or maby some one else is faster than me :D can take some shots.

I have not yet bought a alu skidplate so thats no problem.
    And im sure if I ask they can make one special out of 5mm aluminium in the bottom of it. Or ill just make my own in stainless.

I dont remember how the 640 centerstand looked like but im sure its gonna be something like that, but the rear break stuff is sure in the wrong place..

So thanks all of you and ill comeback with some pictures, dont leave the discussion if im delaying a few days :wink:
    maby something like this centerstand skidplate can be made... http://www.klr650.com/strdCenSt.htm or not...

(i hope you can read my crap english)

//johan
  18. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    I've recently learned from other threads that Cigar Mike is the man when it comes to centerstands, having designed and built them for other bikes.
  19. cybbe

cybbe n00b

Oddometer:
    So we have a stand genious here :clap , perfect.

I have -4°C here in Sweden where i live, so its verry mild weather and the snow depth is perfect for my new spike tyres.
    If i dont go for a ride, ill take some photos of the stuff under the plastic crap plate :Da.s.a.p.
  20. FriedDuck

FriedDuck Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer:
    Anyone try one of these? (Link to eBay.) It looks like a workable solution for at least rear wheel tire changes.

--Jeff