Chopping the 950 screen, How tall are you and how much did you chop off?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Eddieb, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    As we all know the buffeting from the 9x0 screen truely sucks.

I've pulled the screen off my 950 completely and the difference in noise is a revelation, however with no screen at all the wind is hitting me square in the centre of the chest, on open roads this is a bit of a pain.

Have you chopped your screen, if so can you give me an idea of how tall you are and how much you chopped the screen to be good for you.

I've got a 3000km trip coming up in a weeks time so keen to get something sorted.

I'm 5'8 - 5'9 by the way.
  2. lopealong

lopealong Adventurer

Oddometer:
    go to the windscreen disgust thread,all your questions will be answered.im 6-2 ,found the best for me is chopped to 2" above screen.
  3. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    It will take you a month to browse through that mammoth thread and find any hard info.

I'm 5'8" and use a Touratech low seat, so I sit low in the bike.
    Measured from the top of the headlight cutout, my stock screen is 6 3/4" (stock is 11"), and my KTM Touring screen measures 11 1/4" (I don't remember what stock was...way up there though).

With the chopped stock screen, the wind hits me just about at the chinbar of the helmet, and the touring screen moves that up to the forehead area.
  4. African Rider

African Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I cut mine according to the "Yellow Pig template" and it works great for me. It takes about 2-3" off the top of the screen. Then you tidy up the sides to make it look a bit more acceptable.

I do 800km days without any problem at all...besides the monkey butt!!!:D
    (I'm 6'3)
  5. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    I surfed through all 75 pages before posting. Most of it was about the Riccardo mod and other screens which either aren't an option in my timeframe or you just can't get them here, most of those that did post about cutting were quite a bit taller than me.

Yup, as above.

That awesome, exactly the info I was after. I should have mentioned I have the KTM gel seat fitted.

Thanks, your height and the amount you cut off is fairly consistent with Chuckracers lower height and more removed.
    I just did 1300km's in 2 days and was pretty uncomfortable by the end of it.

It's a shame that no one has made a pdf or other downloadable version of the Yellow Pig template.
  6. Chuckracer

Oddometer:
  7. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:

:) I did see that but I have about the artistic ability of a 2 year old, the chances of me getting both sides even and the top edge straight are slimmer than a slim thing. :rofl

Something I could just print out and overlay on the screen using the mounting screws as locators or something would have been ideal.
  8. Aleph

Aleph Strider

Oddometer:
    Belgium, somewhere between Blackbert and Trooper
    I have two screens:

- in summer I use a 100% chopped off screen. I measure 1m75. This works the best for me, even at 120km/h. It's the best solution, even optical.

- in winter I use a normal screen, with a little spoiler on me, and it is not in line with the screen, but tilted away from me, but only a little bit.
  9. junkmanjoe

junkmanjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    your welcome to borrow my spare screen and just lay that on top and draw around the top, at the height you wish to cut, this way you will get good straight even lines,just a idea.

JMJ
    NZ.
  10. Chuckracer

Oddometer:
    LOL! Yeah, both of my screens are about 3/4" shorter than I had planned due to straightening/correcting flaws. They're still not perfect, but unless you really study them up close you'll never spot the minor flaws. No matter...they still accomplish what I was aiming for.

It's not critical mate - just go for it!
  11. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I had a hack at my screen today and as it happens I've ended up with almost exactly what YellowPig did except my screen is 1/4" taller than his template.

But.....

I started with a 2 inch cut off the top, measured evenly across the top of the screen so that the top edge retained the original shape.
    This was way better but there was still room for improvement.

I then cut another inch off, making it an even 3 inches from the original height, again keeping the original shape.
    This was even better and the wind was just hitting me evenly across the top of the shoulders.

I then cut down the sides in the same manner as Yellowpig's template, from the bottom coming diagonally up an inch following the fairing line then angling up to the bend in the screen.
    This is the bit I think I shouldnt have done. For me this has allowed quite a bit of air to hit my arms and the air hitting my chest to become a bit more turbulent, it was also noticably colder.

While the side cuts looks better, as far as tubulence is concerned I think keeping the original shape across the top is better. I may see if there's a way I can use the left over bits to reattach the side pieces.

Attached Files:

12. GoNOW

GoNOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just did the YellowPig mod to my windscreen only at 8" from the top of the light. So far, I am really liking it. The buzzing of the XD helmet is gone.
  13. gweaver

gweaver NorCal is Best Cal! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't want to throw a wrench in your plans, but your height has nothing to do with the equation- when you're sitting down, you could have the longest legs or the shortest legs and it won't make a damn bit of difference. It's all in the torso length.
    That being said, as you're riding, try raising yourself off the seat a bit at a time. If you have to come up 1.5 inches to hit clear air, that should indicate you'd want to shorten your screen by an equivalent amount. I figured out I needed about 2". When I had my seat rebuilt by Renazco, he suggested going +1.5, which worked out well enough for me that I've just decided not to mess with my screen.

G
  14. Yascher

Yascher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this way you can just try riding with a pillow on original seat and see what difference it makes, without trying to control you riding lifting 1-2" from the seat-should be uncomfortable
  15. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    If anyone in the States has the peice of screen that they cut off of their stocker, I could really use one for some experimenting I am doing.

Shoot me a PM if you can help...
  16. gweaver

gweaver NorCal is Best Cal! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends on how big you need it. Think I have the top 1.5 inches of screen. I'd have to check though. Might have dumped it on my last cleaning binge.
    G
  17. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    Gweaver, the top 1 1/2" may be enough. I would sure appreciate it. I'll send you a PM.

Brent
  18. Aquanout

Aquanout Hooliganantic

Oddometer:
    Im 6' I clipped 3". I had been riding with a real short screen and loved it, but I thought I would sneak up on thes one.:hide
  19. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    +1