KTM 250 xcw wanted.

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by thump_co, Feb 22, 2013.

1. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    If anyone has a lead on (or is contemplating selling) a low-ish hours '08+ 250 xcw 4-stroke, please let me know.

I've been checking the flea market and CL for a while now and not coming up with much. It will be for mrs_thump_co.

I'm trying to sell her on the concept of a 200, but she's not sold on a 2t, and after kicking over a temperamental XR about 2,745,981 times she's ready for a magic button (plus a recent model 200 seems even more rare to come by these days).

Thanks.
  2. dckiteboards

dckiteboards Braaper

Oddometer:
  3. SaharaJp99

SaharaJp99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. dckiteboards

dckiteboards Braaper

Oddometer:
    oh yes < good luck searching
  5. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

What really sucks is I've been keeping an eye out for a while, then someone had a beautiful condition 40 hour 2009 parked for sale right here in Ned last fall, but I had just written a big check for one of the kiddo's ordeals so I didn't have the cash... and it was gone in a day. :cry

I'm sure there's gotta be someone on here that realized the KTMs are just cheap, boring, common bikes and wants to sell theirs so they can pick up a nice GasGas or Sherco or something.

:D
  6. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    westslope.craigslist.org/mcy/3568842499.html
  7. elgato gordo

elgato gordo KTMRFS

Oddometer:
    I was hoping for an '08 xcfw last year also. All I could find was high priced ones so I went for the SXF. It is a great bike on single track. Hope to add a fan and this year so I don't have to worry about overheating in the really slow stuff. Also you give up the top end for high speed stuff but for over $1000 difference in price I was good with it.
  8. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
    I thought all the 250xcw's were two stroke. Wasn't the four stroke the 250sxf?
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Here ya go, 2011 350sxf, 300mi $3500 in extras, featured in Dirtbike mag. Jeff's personal bike.

$6700
  10. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    I rode with Jeff last summer and he was on that bike. Everytime we stopped for a break we all just stood there drooling over that thing...He could ride it pretty well too! Of course then Ms thump would never get a moment on "her" bike....
  11. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Thanks.. saw that one. When I got the email back that he decided he's keeping it after all is when I posted here. :bluduh

:tb
    Got that email too. I was really thinking about it last night, but it's just too much bike and too much cash for what she needs right now. Plus I told her that she'd have to ride it like a pro since everyone would recognize the custom "goat" graphics. :lol2 Got another email that he sold it this morning.

I've always wondered what he's like to ride with. Seems like he enjoys the gnar gnar stuff.

PS - I have received some friendly inmate warnings that the two-fiddy 4t's have issues due to Ti valves. Anyone else heard more on this? I hate adjusting valves.
  12. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    you should seriously consider a 2009 te250 as well if you want no valve maint and don't mind a woods trans.
  13. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Pinewood Springs, CO(between Lyons and Estes Park)

The Yamaha wr250f is a very fine bike. Lots of them around for a good price and super reliable. Ebay has a new 09 for $4600.
  14. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    didn't think of those :thumb
  15. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't worry about that, if you buy a bike that hasn't been hammered (admittedly tough to tell) with the kind of riding I suspect you do. There were issues with pre '06 CRF's but all of these 250f's have double the power of that XR so I doubt she'll be bouncing the rev limiter all of the time.

Also most of the current 250f's are Shim and bucket if I'm not mistaken and don't require as many adjustments as your RFS motor, checks are needed on schedule though, 5-15 hrs. for most I'd guess.
  16. Downhill Dave

Downhill Dave Busco aventura

Oddometer:
    :deal I had a tagged 2008 xcf-w that I recently sold to a buddy. (And you prolly don't want to know the bro' price.)

So I'll give you two cents for free.

It's a great bike if you are up on the pegs, wringing the F outta it. Light and agile, it loves single track and can be turned while in the air or by the throttle on the trail. My 525xc can turn with the throttle :wink: but in the air it starts to push me around. I found the 250xcf-w to be almost painful to ride slowly on a "trail ride" cuz that is so far away from what it wants to do.

The "w" is really nice down here where we do get to open it up as we connect trails. And since it was street legal, I connected trails by pavement when required without winding out the lil' 250.

Also, with oil changes every 10 hours and a filter change every 20 hours I don't like to get to a service interval without using the bike as intended.

Happy hunting! It is indeed a rare bird to find in great condition.

(PS I have a 250exc 2-stroke for single track now. Even lighter! And I'm sure my friend will not be selling his xcfw anytime soon, sorry.)
  17. Patj551

Patj551 Motorcycle & Empowerment Coach

Oddometer:
  18. Shuffler

Shuffler Hommes Grande

Oddometer:
  19. erigre

erigre Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just moved back to Boulder after 7 yrs in the NC mtns. I've been reading the Rockies forum and it seems like most of the guys on this thread like to ride the same kind of stuff I do. Anyway, maybe I'll meet up with some of you in the coming months...

Not sure how much experience Mrs Thump has, but a 250 xcf is going to be a harder bike to ride on the techy trails for an inexperienced rider. Never owned one, but ridden a few. It's kind of like riding my Husky cr144, you got to be on it. Fun if you're up for it, but lugging tech is not it's strong suit. My 09 200xcw is much better at it (with PV and jetting changes, you can make a 200 a lugging fool-not 300 style of course!-or a screamer).

I owned an 05 400exc and that's what I would be looking for. Much better bottom, same weight and not crazy power like the 450, more XR'ish.

Of course, you may have done all this reasoning and still are wanting a 250. If so, disregard.

If you have interest in letting her check out a 200, let me know, she's welcome to give it a spin to assess.

Eric
  20. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    I love this place. So much good info. Thanks.

The 2t is out. I've tried, but at this point they scare her. She's been witness to too many genius moves by me with the 300. I've tried to explain that those were all operator error, and they can be tuned to be smooth, but she's not biting. At this point I want to keep her comfortable and having fun.

She's not had a ton of time on the bike, but is a very aggressive rider. She used to DH mountainbike with me and has solo'd most the singletracks at Lefthand with her XR.

toddler - I told her I was going to buy her that steal of a WR on eBay you pointed out, but have since been informed she'll be sticking with Orange "thank you very much". :lol3 :cry

Patj551 - If that thing wasn't lowered it would be my next bike. Looks so clean.

As to the comments about the 250 riding style.. I think most of what she'll be riding is tight, rooty, rocky 1-2 gear singletrack. *If* we can get the training in this summer she's talked about wanting to try the EX with me this fall. I was thinking that with a fan kit and some 13/52 gearing the 250 would be money for this, but I haven't ridden one, so I dunno. You guys/gals wouldn't agree? :dunno