F800GS Exhaust Pipes

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by moto73, Oct 25, 2008.

1. AngryRed

AngryRed Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer:
    What head pipe are you using and where did you pick it up? The Remus website doesn't list head pipes only for some reason.
  2. Mal_B

Mal_B Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. Apex3

Apex3 Is the Stig

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure where the best place to put this is, but I had to tell someone, so I'm telling y'all. Didn't figure it was worth a new thread, and if I'm right, it can die here. I test rode a new 800gs this weekend, but more notably, before riding it I followed a friend demoing it (me on my Speed Trip'). The follow was like riding through a sulfur cloud.

We're each buying a dualsport pig this winter/spring, and are currently comparing the 800gs and 990 Adv...without jacking this thread onto that topic, if we go 800gs's, there is going to be (even more of) a race to see who gets stuck riding in second place!

Maybe it will go away - I meant to but forgot to ask the dealer. I've seen this on cars, but never on bikes. My family had a 1996 Mitsubishi Montero that stunk for the entire period of its life that overlapped mine - from new until well over 100k miles. I hope YMMV...
  4. AngryRed

Oddometer:
  5. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    I've got a new/never out of the box akro slip on for $690 shipped in conus.:ear
  6. Fireman

Fireman Shazaam!

Oddometer:
    OK, I feel like I made a really good decision on exhaust today (sorry no pics yet) so I'll share it with you guys in case anyone is still comparing/contrasting their options.

Here's the story; I ordered a titanium Remus Hexacone from my dealership. I've loved Remus on my R1150R and the Akra was too pricey for me, so it seemed like a good bet. The hexacone looked like the obvious choice because it matched the angular bodywork of the bike and had a removeable baffle. Titanium, of course, because of it's offroad durability over CF.

So I go down to the dealer this morning, and they have also got one of the Remus Revolution slip-on's in ti. I nearly ignore it, but take it out and hold it up to my bike . It looks GOOD. And kind of sophisticated in a way that the Hexacone doesn't. After an hour of hemming and hawing, I went with the Revolution instead of the Hex. Something about those carbon fiber endcaps reminded me of "pieces of flair." The shape was kind of gimmicky to me, and once I got the Revolution fitted I was convinced that I had made the right decision. It looks like a muffler, a very very nice muffler in a grown-up, all-business, spank-you-on-the-backroads kind of way. But the best part is the excellent sound. Of course I took the removeable baffle out before I rode it out of the parking lot. I have never been dissapointed by Remus, and I'm sure some guys like the style of the Hexacone, but my intention here is to justify those of you who want a hell of a nice exhaust that saves weight, adds power, and sounds beautiful without having to look like a "Biker Boyz" extra. OK.:wink:
  7. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    Fireman!!!

You can't leave us hangin' like that! We need some pics!!:ddog :D
  8. mystic

mystic n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi All

First to admit I'm a bit of a technical numpty! :D Need to pick some brains .......
    Planning an overland trip in 2009 ...... and for a significant part of it only LEADED petrol (80 - 85 octane!) will be available. Someone on another bike site suggested that the CAT would HAVE TO BE removed for the bike to run. And also something about needing to have the bike re-mapped?!

My questions:

Is the above correct?

If it is .... just how does one go about removing the thing? Please assume I know absolutely nothing! ...... and you won't be far wrong!! :wink:

After it's out ... will there be any detrimental effects when later running on standard UNLEADED fuel?

I'd really appreciate your imput on this.
  9. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Completely agree :thumb . It'll be the Revolution for me too when I have enough points to "spend" from she who must be obeyed :lol3
  10. Fireman

Fireman Shazaam!

Oddometer:
    I have to say this question may get a better response in one of the wrenching/technical threads but as far as I know Leaded fuel can often be blamed for fouled Cats. Whether it would hurt anything else, I don't know. But if it's just the cat that is a problem, it's easily solved: Remus makes a really nice header system (the part that goes from the engine to the muffler) that does not include a cat. Otherwise, it fits like the stock exhaust. In fact, I believe you can use the stock muffler on it as well. So for around $400 you can eliminate the cat altogether and maybe even gain a little horsepower along the way. You may want to find the "wise man" at your local dealer for more advice on leaded fuel though... 'cause it'll be that guy who ultimately has to deal with the warranty Nazis when something goes wrong.
  11. mystic

mystic n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Fireman .....

I knew about the Remus pipes already .... just wanting to explore whether there was any other way to go! I've come across one or two people who appear to have removed the cat from the OEM header system! Involves cutting into and then welding up the pipework I believe ......... (sounds to me like a job for somebody who knows what they're doing!!!)

Maybe the Remus option is the way to go ..... I'd also prefer to replace the stock muffler for something which makes the bike's back end slightly narrower, to better accommodate a balanced pannier system. Just trying to watch the pennies!

Mike
  12. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    because of the location of the CAT. you can't just cut out that section and replace it with some pipe so your next best bet is to: Pull your exhaust off, scalp the area where the cat is, pull it out, and weld your scalp back on.
  13. AngryRed

Oddometer:
    +1

Where is the love?

Also did you get the Revolution GP or standard Revolution?
  14. Fireman

Fireman Shazaam!

Oddometer:
    OK, sorry that picture took so long, I had to wait until I was not on the bike AND remembered to bring my camera, which unfortunately is hard for me to do. Just set up my Photobucket account, so here goes. Oh, yeah it's the Revolution, in Ti. Baffle came out in service bay and came home in the tankbag.:clap

[​IMG]
  15. Fireman

Fireman Shazaam!

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the faraway view, But maybe you can zoom in on this photo. Now that I have figured out how to post pics I'll get more pictures soon.

[​IMG]
  16. AngryRed

Oddometer:
    Nice shots... looks like you kept the stock header pipe?

Been thinking about the Remus header as well but I'm hearing mixed opinions on using it with the stock skid plate.
  17. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Nice mix of bikes. Cruiser, Sport, Tour and Adventure. Even parked in the order that I would buy them. Well done. :D

18. Fireman

Fireman Shazaam!

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I didn't even realize the mix of bikes there. I suppose all we're missing is a brit bike of some kind! Anyway, yeah, I looked real hard at the Remus header. I bought the full Remus system for my R1150R back in '03 and really liked it. This time around I decided to start with the muffler and see how that works, and then maybe save up for the header on down the line. There are some reasons I haven't gone with it yet though:

1) I really like the way the stock header looks. Neat gold color and nice bends.
    2) I am a tree-hugging kind of Adventurist, and I'm actually intrigued by keeping the cat for ONCE in my life. It's not that heavy.
    3) I love the sound right now, and I'm not convinced that the header is going to improve that at all. I'm open for proof here.
    4) That Remus header is F'ing expensive, man!
    5) I guess there might be some power to be gained. OK, there's a good reason to get it.

By the way, those two pics are the beginning of the New Years ride from Grass Roots BMW in Missouri. Best damn shop I know of.
  19. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Had a full Remus system on my 1150GS. Loved the sound but I always found it a tad loud. When I get my 800 next month I think I will start with just the can as well. I actually think the stock pipe sounds pretty good. Not like the really anemic sounds a stock 1150 makes.

20. Fireman

Fireman Shazaam!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I agree. I actually liked the way the original pipe sounded as far as the sound quality, and especially in comparison to the stock 1150 system. But, alas, I cannot leave exhaust systems alone. It's the first thing I mess with on any bike or vehicle I own. I think it's because I can't stop imagining what it COULD sound like. Holy jeez, now that someone brought up the header I'm actually THINKING about it. Thanks a lot!:clap