Unlocking an Android phone

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by levain, Dec 21, 2012.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3. I'm going to Europe a couple times this year. I want to use my phone. I have no desire to leave AT&T while stateside, I just want to be able to pop in a local SIM while abroad.

It looks like there are some apps that will unlock the phone, but has anyone done it successfully? Here's an example.

My phone is not rooted.

Thanks
  2. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    You can start by asking AT&Flee for the unlock code. If you've had the phone more than a few months they'll give it to you.

I used "galaxy sim unlock" and you can also try "voodoo sim unlock" I don't recall if I was rooted before I tried it. I don't think you need to be. Both apps are free but you have to Google them. They aren't allowed in the Play store.

You won't know if it actually worked (despite what the unlock app says) until you put in a new sim. I seem to recall I couldn't get it to work so I rooted the phone and installed a custom ROM before it did.

Try calling AT&T first. If that doesn't work come back and let us know.

If you don't want to root/rom, you can just buy a cheap pay as you go phone when you get there.