Getting the exhaust on...

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by maxpowers410, Mar 15, 2015.

1. maxpowers410

maxpowers410 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys

So I'm trying to get my exhaust back on to my R80 GS 91 after changing the gasket.
    I'm having a great deal of trouble getting it on. Brute force isn't helping me out this time, anyone have any ideas?
    I've stuck the aluminium gasket inside the exhaust so it will be on the outside of the exhaust collector. I'm afraid to bend the exhaust bits/flaps out, is that what you are ment to do?
    Any tips?

[​IMG]

Thanks a million
    Max
  2. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not sure mine has a gasket in there, although it is a Kehein system so might be different to the standard one.
  3. Screaming Chicken

Screaming Chicken Long timer

Oddometer:
    The standard one has a gasket, and it is indeed a pig to get on. Especially the two smaller ones for the header pipes seem to be a hell of an interference fit, I've never gotten those to fit at all...

But without gaskets the thing won't seal, so I used an old WD40 can.
  4. maxpowers410

Oddometer:
    I had to take the can off for something else and the old gasket fell apart when I touched it. Scraped the rest off.
    So no fancy trick then..? You used a WD40 can as a gasket?
    Think there's any harm in prying the end of the exhaust open a bit?
  5. AirGsPd

AirGsPd Dream Rider

Oddometer:
    I found a way that worked like charm for me. I assembled the final exhaust and the collector when they were off the bike, but did not tightened the clamp yet. Then I hung both onto the bike by inserting them kinda from the back and pinned the rear exhaust with all bolts to the frame just so that it could not fall off. Remember that the front hanger from the rear exhaust goes on the inside of the subframe and the rear hanger goes on the outside of the subframe. Then I installed the right and left header, adjusted everything and tightened the bolts and clamps. Work the headers inside the collector box until they easily slip in. Same with the header in the heads. Cleaning it all up and some lubrication works wonders.

This was the first time that I was able to get the exhaust on properly. Additionally I put antiseize on all joints.
  6. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    The BMW gasket was too thick for my GS, so I used a section of a beer can with good results. I've also used a cylinder hone to increase the ID of the stock exhaust gasket
  7. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the same problem. Next time the exhaust is off I plan to borrow a "Tail Pipe Expander".

I can confirm that if you don't have the gasket, it will leak.

Jon
  8. maxpowers410

Oddometer:
    I'll grease up everything and see if I can get it in, maybe pry open the exhaust a little.
    If I don't get anywhere I'll brnig a coke can as a last resort ;)
    I guess aluminium is aluminium.

Cheers
    Max
  9. maxpowers410

Oddometer:
    So it was bothering me so much I spent my work break driving to the garage to have another look at it.
    I removed the sub frame and coated the gasket, end pipe and collector with high temp greace/anti seize. I pried the exhause open just a little bit and then stuck it on, I rotated it around and took about 10-20 mins of jamming it in and wiggeling and rotating it around and it fit right in.
    I stuck a piece of wood underneath the collector box to support my jamming it in, so that not too much pressure was on any other joints.

Happy days.
  10. CptImagine

CptImagine NCC-1701-B

Oddometer:
    Sounds crazy, but if the entire system is loosened and all but removed, it'll save time and misery . Allowing everything to go together reasonably easy ,

Mainly the cross over pipe on the header causes a bind . Slide it onto one side . The inlets for the can are not parallel with the frame, they point inward . With more bind, as its hooked to the frame . Then engage the muffler to basically screw it onto the can . Tapping every joint all the while .

I do have a mechanical pipe expander and use it every time the pipes are off . I imagine sockets or pipe would aid the effort . Massive amounts of never sieze and unless blown out . I can re use the alum spacer/gaskets . Keeping the mouths round and the clamps working correctly, are the keys . Those ears on the clamp, keep it square when tightening . This epiphany after several cursing events .