1. gixxersteph

gixxersteph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I could I would move
    Or if I had the balls to pick up and leave.
  2. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    Me too, I'm in SoCal and Norcal monthly, and it's just so much better living out there.

Traffic and roads, light years ahead of this ancient fuckhole's infrastructure.
  3. garbagekid0

garbagekid0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw a guy in a full on business suit w a shorty helmet riding one of the new Yamaha triples on Queens blvd this morning around 8:15am. Sounded amazing and he was popping wheelies like a madman. put a huge grin on my face on my way court
  4. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve Every day is Saturday

Oddometer:

I've lived here all my life but in less than 5 years, I'm outta here and never looking back.

I dont ride here anymore. When it isnt enjoyable anymore, it's time for me to give it up. I havent given up riding, just riding here.

I've been on this thread for a number of years, I dont see the situation getting any better for us. The answer that comes to mind for nearly everything that's wrong with this place is, move. I know that's not possible for the majority here, but that's what I've decided.

I applaud the efforts of many here fighting the good fight. For me, it isnt worth it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  5. Joeska

Joeska Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I totally agree. I am one of the small handful of born and raised NYers still living here. We are suckers. This city has really turned into a cesspool. It has become a Disneyland for rich tourists and midwesterners with trust funds. My lady and I must discuss leaving here at least 3 times per week. I have a good city job that would be hard to replace, and I feel totally stuck. Riding here is a friggin nightmare. I take the Interboro most days... Anyone else? Changing lanes while heading to BK is like taking your life in your hands. The grooves between lanes are 6" deep and and foot wide in places.

Any one have any employment hooks anywhere but in NYC?

6. kcieslicki

kcieslicki Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice parking! [​IMG]
  7. kingnba6

kingnba6 R1der

Oddometer:
    all i know is that thats a huge exhaust.
  8. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    Nope. That's why I'm here.

I think I'm going to sell my street bike... I hate riding on the roads around here, although it's not bad on a DS bike.
  9. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never wait in traffic, Lane split & just keep an eye out for LEO. I do it all the time in & around NYC. Just need to watch for PANYNJ popo & NYC Hiway 1 (the real AHoles) local precinct cops could care less.

And NYC, like any big metro area will eventually break anyone down. Make your $ and move out! Shit 3/4 of the Northeast is now in the Carolinas eating bbq & talking with a drawl [emoji12]
  10. Petzl

Petzl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True True...
    I guess say what you want about southerners and rednecks, but how many of them work then retire and move up north to NYC???
  11. Migi Mouse

Migi Mouse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My two cents on this thought line.

Yes NYC sucks. It's becoming the play ground for rich gentrifiers who are homogenizing its culture.

The riding sucks. It's a dizzying attempt not to be smacked by an insane taxi or a stressed out commuter in a poorly maintained SUV. I stopped riding my bicycle years ago because I lost the feeling of arriving relaxed.

BUT. This is still one of the greatest city's in this country. You just have to make the effort to find that.
    Go see Alvin Ally Dance, a play, even a bad off off off broadway play and make fun of it with your partner.....
    Go to free live music in summer stage, celebrate Brooklyn, Lincoln center out of doors........
    Go to someplace in queens and find restaurants from all over the world. (I really like the Columbian restaurants, and their waitresses :eek1)
    Go to the beach, the mountains anywhere out side of the city all within an hour drive, just not on the weekends when everyone else dose it.

Yes NYC is a finical trap, yes if you were born here and your still here then you lost somewhere along the line (my self included).
    Yes it's NYC is dirty and gritty, it's CREAM
    But other wise move to the land of Walmart.
  12. carvecream

carvecream Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all,
    Relatively new rider here, just wanted to introduce myself. I've been poking around here for a while but finally felt justified to register since taking possession of an '07 DR650, all stock.

I'll be inquiring soon about nearby trails and other things I'm sure but first things first, I need to get this thing inspected. Anyone recommending a good shop for that in the north Brooklyn area? Somewhere between Redhook and Bushwick or Williamsburg/Greenpoint would suffice.

I just marathon-ed down from Lake Placid region Sunday night, 5 hours down 22 then 2 hours on the Taconic. Great ride, but on a stock seat my butt was begging for mercy. Bike ran great, got around 60mpg. Got it to 105 on the speedo on one long empty stretch, but I think the speedo is about 4mph high. GF was in the tail car (transportation up on Friday) and reports that my 55 was on the slow side. When I matched her 55 speedo was closer to 60.

I've been a mountain biker for decades, and bicycling in NYC since '92. All of that time on 2 wheels dealing with NYC traffic, cabs, busses, accident/hospitals definitely prepped me for motorcycle riding here. Sunday night riding down 2nd ave 'cus the FDR was jammed, it just felt like I was on my mountain bike, but noisier, faster and safer.

OK thats all for now. Looking forward to joining in here.
    Ride safe everyone!
    :norton
  13. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome!

Re: NYC it is an amazing city. You need to be tough enough to live here and we need to realize how lucky we are to have so much where we are. Having said that i dream about moving to Northern California. I spent a year in SF when I was younger and it was amazing quality of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. thomas.tc.young

thomas.tc.young Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Vespa shop in green point (think it's called carbon negative) does them and they don't hassle you. Then motogrrl on metropolitan.
  15. docgonzo

docgonzo Great Old Turtle

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    I lived in Vermont for 10 years. Was fun for a while, but then I had Big Apple withdrawal symptoms. There is nothing like NYC. That's why everyone in the world wants to live here. Worth the cost of living and the aggravation? Most people with decent jobs would say yes.

But I must say, on a recent ride with Walter B., we stopped at a lookout just 40 miles from NYC:

[​IMG]

The first question that came to mind was why people lived in NYC, when a high speed rail line could get you there from here in 30 minutes, and you could live in a log cabin on 50 acres…..:evil
  16. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    I've gotten a few bikes inspected at the Vespa/Guzzi/Aprilia shop in the Naval Yard/Ft Greene area. Easy access to the shop, though... 215 Park Ave.
    http://www.vespabk.com/
  17. Petzl

Petzl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started traveling here from northern New England in 2002ish for work. Also lived in the Bay Area, the South, and a few other states in between, then after meeting "The Girl" and staying here I have found most places fairly relative. Pay/Cost of Living/ etc., Yes some better some worse. With some give and take you can always be comfortable.

(That plus the fact that all her family is here and they are great folks, she will never leave)

So I will be here for a while...
  18. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    Well, it might get you here, or it might get you to Hoboken, where you'd have to hop on a PATH train. And then that's all very nice if you work right along the PATH or within a few blocks of your own train's terminus, else you now need to hop on a subway or bus or three to reach your place of work. And then that's all very nice if you work consistent hours but heaven help you if you miss that last express train, or if you work third shift and live in a place where the trains head to the city in the morning and back in the evening and fuck you if you don't like it.

I'm glad commuter trains work for some people.
  19. kcieslicki

kcieslicki Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my V-strom at the perfect moment. Northern BLVD is a hot mess now and thankfully this bike handles it very well. How long do you folks think it will be before northern is completely repaved from QB Plaza to the BQE interchange?

20. psychopompos

psychopompos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speaking of pavement quality, what do you guys think of the new surface on the Queensboro upper level? I rode it for the first time this weekend and found it to be shiny black washboard. WTF? Riding on the stripped base layer with the rebar exposed for the last few weeks was more pleasant than this.