Your best upgrade yet?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by LBS, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Training, and practicepracticepractice.

Lots of fuel in the tank, that's been by far the best upgrade. Not only is it fun, the better I get, the more fun it is. Downhill corner, carrying a bit much speed, just skate the front a bit, and it slows down without upsetting the chassis. Fun. :D

Transferrable to anything you'll ever swing a leg over. :deal
  2. nazdravanul

nazdravanul Big Bad Wolf

Oddometer:
    Aeroflow screen, by far. ESA shocks came in the original package, so I don't know if that counts, but if it counts they are up there with the Aeroflow (hopefully I will be able to upgrade those further with WESA - Wilber shocks for ESA). Woody's Wheels are also an excellent upgrade, the bike is so much better in so many ways because of them.
    Modified seats with optional backrest and heating, sport headers with akra can + Performance Controller + blue filter, Jesse's Odyssey 2 are just a few really worthwile mods, that have made my bike sooo much better from stock.
    Also all the mud protectors in the world have improved the riding experience, a lot :).
    It's hard to name a single mod among all these that is the best. My bike is so much better because of them so it's really hard to choose. If I could only choose one mod it would definitely be the Aeroflow :)
    Please consider I had the Garmin Zumo GPS + Baehr intercom + Beltronic radar detector from my previous bike so I'm not sure those count :), but they do enhance the riding experience to another level :).
  3. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    The fastways can be installed so that they lower the pegs an inch at most. Just enough to make it a bit more comfortable. As for the aggressive riding being more comfortable that is because if you ride on the balls of your feet and press down while cornering hard, the wider peg distributes your weight and pressure over a wider spot on your foot, almost eliminating any pressure points that you get with conventional pegs (like on my Duc). The downside is a slight loss of ground clearence during extreme lean angles that I don't reach anyway.

As for my mixed love affair with the Jesse's, I have been meaning to call Jesse to see about getting replacement seals. I have also been toying with the idea of drilling drain holes to eliminate standing water in the cases during heavy rain. I have already tried sealing the hinges with silcone per a suggestion of Big Al himself when I met him at a rally, but they still leak. I am convinced they are coming in through a couple of holes in the seals.

I was a hold out for GPS for a while too as I love and still use paper maps. But I bit the bullet at the VT MOA National a couple of years back and then used the thing to guide us 800 miles home finding us a cool B&B along the way I was hooked. IMHO the biggest thing to remember with using a GPS is that it shouldn't replace your brain. Use it as an additional tool along with your paper maps to get you where you want to go. I don't rely on it exclusively, but when I need to. Paper maps are still better for getting the big picture and general route. The GPS will keep you on that route and offer alternative routing as well as finding you gas, food and beds, as long as they are still in business. At best the newest GPS maps are still up to 3years out of date. But I wouldn't leave home without it in my bike or car.

Rick G
  4. LBS

LBS "n00b"? Pretty much.

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry. I'm not familiar with that term, but I do care enough to ask you to explain. By "Skate", do you mean Squeeze the Devil out of the grips and PRAY?:D
  5. Wheresmurph

Wheresmurph SEEKER OF PEACE

Oddometer:
    Well,i`ve only had my `04 1150 GS Adv. for a few monthe now,but the Tobinator was a great addition for me.I was nearly going to go for a new windshield but was still looking at a non-adjustable situation,thats why i went the Tobinator route :http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12264918#post12264918
    Next best upgrade would be Pivot pegs.
  6. wrysingfeenix

wrysingfeenix Dust off those ashes

Oddometer:
    "I hate having to carry my helmet, so I would like to secure it with the bike."

Doesn't your bike have a helmet lock? I use mine (GS1100) every time I park the bike except in my garage.
  7. Juvat

Juvat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:
    TKC80's front and back...

[​IMG]
  9. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    I'll leave out stuff like aux lighting and crash bars, as I consider them safety equipment and therefore essential.

And instead of picking one upgrade, I'll pick an entire category. My choice would be "things that make the bike fit better." In that category I'd include such things as aftermarket seats, PivotPegz, handlebar risers, and a GPS mount that put the device in front of me so I don't have to take my eyes off the road. All these things have changed my riding experience from that of sitting on top of the machine...to becoming part of it.

Pete
  10. Boondox

Oddometer:
    Oh, I forgot to mention the bottle opener attached to the left hand Jesse bag. There have been times when I considered that my most appreciated upgrade. :D
  11. LBS

LBS "n00b"? Pretty much.

Oddometer:
    Rain. I have to park outside while at work and it rains enough that I have never seen a co-worker leave them behind. Plus there are other things that I want to carry. The helmet seems to be the hardest to fit within.
  12. Nitzo

Nitzo Long timer

Oddometer:
    kaoko
  13. LBS

LBS "n00b"? Pretty much.

Oddometer:
    O.K. So considering that the bike came with the crash-bar, you are thinking that lights should be next because its essential? Before the "wants' are addressed, are there any other essentials?
  14. wrysingfeenix

wrysingfeenix Dust off those ashes

Oddometer:
    ...that I live in the desert and rarely have to contend with rain. Ignore my dumb ass question. :shog

I totally agree with the post regarding mods that make the rider and machine fit and ride best. My list includes Ricky Bars, lowered Fastway pegs, a Russell Day Long seat, Ohlins shocks, and Continental Road Attacks. If forced to pick one, it'd be the Russell, but it's really a package deal.
  15. Boondox

Oddometer:
    They were essential for me because I live in the sticks and share the road with deer, black bear, foxes, tourists, skunks and the occasional moose. Your needs may vary.
  16. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wilber shocks and EBC rotors and pads front an rear. A giant difference over stock.

And of course the bead rider!:D
  17. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    I will assume that you have done the mandatory adds;
    HID lights (low beam and a driving light)
    Nautilus Horn
    crash bars
    aftermarket skid plates

After those items I went with rox risers. Not far behind that would be a sheepskin pad from AK leather.

My 2 Cents
  18. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    HID. Best most cost-effective upgrade you can make to the GS. Period.

Others I have made

Touratech Headlight Guard
    Laminar Lip ( V-Stream windshield which I sold )
    Best Rest Products Skid Plate and Cat Guard
    PIAA bulbs in fog lights
    Touratech Cylinder Head Guards
    fastway Pegs
    Two GPS mounts
    Touratech bar risers
    Centech AP2 fuse block
    Russell Seat
    Touratech (BMW) panniers and topcase
    Touratech rear fender
    Mayer Rear shock guard
    Kaoko throttle control

( just ordered today the Touratech hard part and sidestand foot enlarger)

I am sure I am forgetting something but you get the idea
  19. ELIMINATOR

ELIMINATOR Where's the world going

Oddometer:
    Hampshire, England..........No,not New England!
    Handlebar muffs.
  20. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    Actually, thinking about it, my favourite upgrade would be more time to ride my bike. Can't afford that though :cry