ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM   #3856
Eric Plante
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhargis View Post
I've had a quite a few motorcycles over the years and have considered the V-Strom a few times in the past but never pulled the trigger because I was not a fan of 19" front wheels or skinny tires. I fancy myself a fairly aggressive rider, and wanted something that leaned more toward the sport side of the equation.

I picked up a leftover 2014 V-Strom 1000 for a good price not really expecting it to make me 100% happy, but for the money I could live with it. I went in totally biased AGAINST the bike. I never even test rode it before buying it. I went in wanting a Versys 1000, but the price difference convinced me to move on the Strom.

After 2000 miles of riding the bike in various conditions and roles (sporting, touring, rough pavement, and even a little light off road) I'm totally blown away by how good this bike is at anything I throw at it. Stock suspension is proving to be really good. Brakes are fantastic. Handling is really good even with the skinny tire size and OEM Bridgestone Battle Wings. The stock seat was not bad, but I went with the OEM tall seat for a little more comfort. The stock windscreen was the only sore spot, and a Givi Airflow corrected that flaw.

I really can't find anything bad to say about the bike. It's done well with everything I've tossed at it. Is it going to handle like a supersport? No. Is it going to do offroad like a true enduro? No. Is it going to have the wind protection of a Goldwing? No. But it does all of those things pretty well. It's a collection of good compromises.

Of all the bikes I've owned, I can honestly say this may be the best all-around bike of the bunch. I'm very pleased with it and I say this not as a fan boy who's been on the V-Strom bandwagon, but someone who thought they wanted a Kawasaki Versys 1000 and "settled" for the Strom. Glad I did...I've been very happy with it.

If you're looking for an affordable "jack of all trades" motorcycle, the V-Strom 1000 deserves a look. Keep in mind, there are still 2014 models out there that are selling in the $9000 range for a new bike. That's an incredible value.
+1
I could have written this review myself word for word. Great bike. The best I have owned (previous: BMW K1200S, Moto Guzzi Norge GT8V)
Eric Plante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM   #3857
jdrice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Plante View Post
+1
I could have written this review myself word for word. Great bike. The best I have owned (previous: BMW K1200S, Moto Guzzi Norge GT8V)

I can't believe how cheap these bikes are now. I was at my dealer they are selling new 1000s for 8,800 !!
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM   #3858
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrice View Post
I can't believe how cheap these bikes are now. I was at my dealer they are selling new 1000s for 8,800 !!
Cripes! I thought $9400 was a good deal (and it was!), but $8800....wow!!

$150 spark plugs don't seem so bad when you factor in what you paid for the bike.
Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM   #3859
billmags
Scoot Jockey

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantzoften View Post
Balance and brakes are off the charts!! I adjusted the suspension a couple of months ago to match my riding style and haven't touched it since, just perfect.

One thing I notice that is different from the V1 is when I'm leaning over into a tight sweeper I feel like I'm much closer to the ground and I don't know why. It's not a negative, just a personal observation. I have touched pegs on both sides but no more so than the previous model. The bike is so solid in the turns it really doesn't bother me but I did have to get used to it.

I came up a mountain road yesterday that had a sharp uphill hairpin turn like a corkscrew with no signage to advise me of the corner. The Strom pulled it off so well - I was smiling the rest of the way up the hill.

That's what I love doing with this bike- no definitive plan or route, just exploring roads for hours on end.
ZRX1200
TW200
billmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM   #3860
kraut.burner
Smells güt!

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhargis View Post
Cripes! I thought $9400 was a good deal (and it was!), but $8800....wow!!

$150 spark plugs don't seem so bad when you factor in what you paid for the bike.
Picked up my 2014 ADV for just under $10500 OTD
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM   #3861
Trinity_Session
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
My Googlefu must be in decline, is it possible to remove the beak from the VeeII?

Trinity_Session screwed with this post Yesterday at 10:48 PM
Trinity_Session is offline   Reply With Quote