Shinko's New 180/55 Dual Sport . . . .

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by KEN PHENIX, Dec 24, 2012.

1. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Groovy, ain't it. :oscar
  2. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    Alright, alright. I had grown weary of waiting for somebody to produce a 180/55/17 with a bit more aggressive tread. I wasn't ready to go full bore with the TKC80, especially at well over $200 a copy. I settled for the Dunlop D616 which was ok but I couldn't make it to 4,000 miles. The Shinko 009 Raven reviews well, has a harder compound and is way cheap. I got the idea about a year ago when I put a set of Ravens on my son's bike and noticed the relatively deep grooves and angular tread pattern. Months pass and rather than feed more D616 rubber to the beast, I decided to go for it. I clicked on the Ravens and a tire groover.

Granted, this is an experiment, hell the tire could fly apart tomorrow. There's a learning curve too. I filleted my finger loading the blade, in spite of the explicit instructions to wear gloves and use caution. I practiced on the old Dunlop.

[​IMG]

I realized this would take lots of practice. The cuts are not picture perfect but the tire should function - as well as it will. I'll order my next one early and take my time. I'll get better at it.

So, If you're crazy enough to try this, I suggest making a few identical cuts at a time allowing rest in between. I can see getting fatigued and getting in a hurry and making mistakes. I was prepared to risk ruining a cheap tire but nonetheless, didn't want to. I'll tackle the front in a day or two. It will be more delicate.
  3. oldbeatupguy

oldbeatupguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good job Ken! :evil

Should work well. Are those V Strom wheels?
  4. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    Thanks. No, it's the 919's original 6" wheel. I had to make a choice of either fitting the bike with a 4.5" wheel and any of the 150/70 dual sport tires off the rack or come up with a suitable 180/55 and keep my wheel. I chose the latter.
  5. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    I had to proceed more gingerly as the front Raven isn't nearly as robust as the rear. I elected not to cut as many grooves as originally planned leaving the center for upright highway wear. I learned the blades should be changed often, with each tire I guess.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The new front tread pattern isn't exactly what I had in mind but I'm pleased. I consider the rear a success because there is no adventure touring tire on the market in that size. For the front though, I'll have the option to do this again or simply buy a 120/70 Distanzia or something. We'll see.
  6. oldbeatupguy

oldbeatupguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tried them out on the road yet?
  7. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    I did about 50 highway miles right after I did the rear and it was no different than before. I'll take 'er out again in a day or two and report.
  8. freetors

freetors Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update? How well did these work out, especially off pavement?
  9. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    Yeah, take her up to buck twenty, and let us know if they hold together. :rofl
  10. preppypyro

preppypyro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very curious to hear a review as well too!

For me my choices are pirelli scorpion trails, or continental trail's, and always looking for more options!
  11. JTucker

JTucker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting that grooved rear looks really similar to a scorpion trail.
  12. hellfire76

hellfire76 haphazard adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, no update in a while. Maybe the tires didn't work very well.
  13. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    GREAT idea! Reminds me of when I was a kid and my dad and his buddies ran a sprint car, they were always going at the tires with one of those tire siping knifes.

Where did you order that tire groover?
  14. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    Did... did he died? :cry :eek1
  15. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    Oops, no replies to this thread for a couple of weeks. I figured everybody thought I was crazy - and they'd be right. :happay
    Anyhow, I have about 600 combined miles on the groove job. I didn't expect to but I felt no difference in wet pavement handling. It rained quite a bit here lately and I managed to do a few familiar back road miles on wet washed out asphalt and slick hard pack. I must say the bike felt more planted than with any street tire I've used. So while I focused primarily on rear traction, the front tire showed the most improvement - more than I expected.

Most importantly, another inmate quoted an earlier post of mine where I described the bike as a bit twitchy over 80mph. I dealt with it by playing with the tire pressure but now I know the problem was caused by the Dunlop D616. Any hint of twitch is gone now thanks to the Shinko. The ride is much more solid at high speed - the bike feels good.

[​IMG]

More to come . . . . .
  16. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    Ebay, of course. I got the Ideal 250w gun with 2 different heads and 2 dozen blades for $90. I figure it came pretty close to paying for itself right out of the box.
  17. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I considered the Scorpion Trail when I started this bike project but they didn't review all that well, not that I had such good luck with the D616 either. I read almost nothing bad about the 009 Raven and saving fifty bucks a copy is a good thing too.
  18. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is cool! I'm due for tires, this spring. I'm thinking I'll grow a pair and buy a groover, as I'm not happy with what's available in a 120/180.
  19. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    Alright, this is the part where I get you to sign the disclaimer. :oscar

The Ideal groover comes with a #4 head. I used #6 head and blades which makes a 3/8" wide cut. It's pretty easy to follow the Shinko Raven's angular tread lines - just don't cut deeper than the existing grooves. I thought about cutting a groove to zig zag down the middle but I decided I didn't want to compromise the tire's upright highway wear.
  20. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    Once I finished hacking on the Shinko Raven rear, I realized how much it resembles the Avon Distanzia which is available in 120/70/17 to fit the front of your 1050. I may do that next time too however, the Raven front is way cheap.

Distanzia Front:
    [​IMG]

Grooved Shinko Rear:
    [​IMG]

Grooved Shinko Front:
    [​IMG]