Hawai'i

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Dirty Barber, Oct 18, 2008.

1. ARZ

ARZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have spoken with Mike and I concur, super nice guy. Also he has a fleet of brand new KTM,s. Im super stoked to go ckeck out the trails too.

iSAW, I will be in Maui from the evening of the 3rd till the 17th. I would love to have several beers with you and talk dirt bikes and AU, one of my close moto friends just moved to Perth. PM me, and maybe we can rent from Mike the same time and share some awesome trails and more beers afterwards.
  2. bensgone

bensgone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are there any Oahu riders that are near the pearl harbor side? I have a deployed fellow rider support project in mind, please pm me if you want to know more and have a couple hours of time to contribute at pearl harbor.
    Thanks, Bensgone
  3. ARZ

ARZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I met another Maui local on the trails north of Moab this weekend. His name is Woody, if any of you Maui riders knows how to get a hold of him please let me know.
  4. stan.riner

stan.riner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you need any logistical support. I plan on doing the race and we have room at the house.

BTW, We're moving to Vietnam July 15th.
  5. stan.riner

Oddometer:
    Going to the big isle this weekend to ride. There's no race this year but I wanted Christina to have a chance to ride the mountain since she's been denied two years in a row. Should be good times with great friends.
  6. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow! That's a heck of a move, looking forward to hearing about it this weekend. Robert
  7. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    We did a pretty fun Mauna Kea 200 make up ride thise weekend since the race was cancelled due to lack of any clear guidelines on how to conduct the event from the HI State Dept. of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR). Sad to think that the event has been going on since 1976 and they (DLNR) still don't have a clue on what the requirements are to hold the event....

Instead we rode for fun, and spent some quality time in the saddle Sat and Sun, folks came from Oahu and others came out of the woodwork to ride and play in the sun.

Sunday was forest:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ADVrider stan.riner, our friend Gary, his wife Jan and two boys came over to ride, the boys stayed with grandma, a couple of other Oahu riders made it too.

[​IMG]

Some seriously good riding, eating and of course drinking took place and as usual there were some seriously WTF??? moments with flat tires, cracked radiators, and mindless Tow Straps.

More to follow...
  8. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    Here in the islands we have a very strong ethic of No Hurt or Broken Down Rider Get's Roosted, somebody is always looking out for you! If you need a Tube, Sip from a Hydration Pack, a Fistfull of Poi, Sparkplug Wrench, CR250R Brake Pedal or even Medical Attention you're kind of covered. Now if your just a whiner that has his panties bunched up or got Sand in His Clit, we have something for you too!

[​IMG]

Most, OK, Some, of the island folks take a lot of pride in their machines and Clean, Maintain and Pimp them with gusto and Credit Card Bills. To honor those few, there was a Slickest Bike Contest, two top bills are both of the 450 Class and are of Asian origin:

Bo's WR:

[​IMG]

Ben's CRF-X:

[​IMG]

You can't have a Mauna Kea 200 Make-Up ride just for fun, so just for organizational purposes we made a Starting Line to get everybody together and organized for the "Ride" as well as get an accurate head count of who was going around the White Mountain. Since there wasn't a DLNR Permit to build/paint/ribbon the line we quickly decided to use an evaporative material. Riders lined up (The WR250 would suffer a Puka'd (Holed) radiator later):

[​IMG]

The 300XC would suffer a seizure later as a result of the Puka in the Radiator, the Husaberg 300 would suffer a tweaked rear fender as a result of the tow strap to the seized KTM, some sort of Sibling Rivalry Spat.....

[​IMG]

Auwryt, time to go do some Cliff Diving or somethin....
  9. sfront

sfront Chaos in Motion

Oddometer:
    And Gasser's 200 is still on the original piston.........
  10. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    That's not an issue with Stan's 300, certainly not after this weekend anyway.....

So after a brief waterfall and wetness adventure there was another BBQ (I should have gotten some shots). For you FF's that thought Cliff Diving might have been a Typo here's some imagery:

[​IMG]

I'm not Chinese but apparently I look it when I have aHead Cold....

[​IMG]

Super fun time up there!

OK, so back to Day 2, after urinating a Starting Line for the R-1 around the mountain crew we took the four ladies back towards Hilo to ride Mana/Keanakolu Road (Name changes depending on which side of the island you start on). I didn't have any more coffee, beer, Gatorade or water in me and the ladies weren't about to Duck Walk across the gravel so no Starting Line for them...

Right before they take off Lehua's 200 refuses to start, at 7,000+ Feet nobody want's to do a lot of kicking so a tow start is attempted... No Go! Bike get's flipped over, sparkplug is out, and a bunch of water and White Goo comes out, rains on the trip home on Saturday are blamed.... It fires and they line up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Destination is our Good Ole Buddy Hank's place (1977 Mauna Kea 200 Rider and keeper of MANY Nice Toys!) Hank pulled a guy out a couple of years back on a DS ride that was going the other way on Mana. Thanks again Hank!

[​IMG]

Stan and Gary were the last starters on the mountain and were two of the five that actually rode over to Hank's place on Mana Rd (Rest bailed because it was too Cold after the mountain.....). Well Gary rode, a truck was sent after Stan's 300 seized and was at the end of the tow rope about 20 miles from the end point.

[​IMG]

Hank's wife, Miss Southern Hospitality herself, was a gracious host, her and the ladies talked horses, dirt bikes, and other lady like things in the beautiful Waimea weather.

[​IMG]

That's about it, a nice 114 mile weekend with good friends, good food, and fantastic riding. Ideally somebody else will add some more images but I just blew my wad!
  11. stan.riner

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting Rob. The pic of you jumping off is really cool.

As always, Mauna Kea was an adventure. My whistle thermometer said it was 50 deg and it was raining for most of the way around the mountain. We were above the clouds.

Flat tire on the mountain.
    I forgot to air my tires up after riding in the forest on Saturday and got a pinch flat. A 10 year old fix-a-flat did the trick and got me through the rest of the day.
    There are a couple of tricks to deal with this. Had the fix-a-flat not worked, we could have used a strap to wrap around the tire. Put a loop in one end, go around the tire and rim and then wrap it around the rim/tire going all the way around the wheel. The other end goes on a spoke such that the wheel tightens the strap when it turns. It will destroy the tube and tire but it'll get you back. You can also use big zip ties. Another really good trick is to use grass like a mouse bib. I've never done that one but it's a good one to have in case you need. Just take one side of the tire off and then stuff as much grass as you can. Remount and go. This would probably work good combined with the strap method mentioned above.
    [​IMG]

We used a rock for a bike stand and a stick to hold a non-cooperative brake pad:
    [​IMG]

Nice view towards Honokaa:
    [​IMG]

This is the kind of stuff you go in if you run off the road at high speed. You definitely have to ride with your head because it'll be a while before you get off the moutnain if you get hurt. I don't think a helicopter can go this high either (>9k feet).
    [​IMG]

We did a good trail fix on that WR 250. Everyone should carry a tube of quick steel. I used it to fix my Tacoma truck radiator one time on the way to ride dirt bikes. Used my camel back water and drove it around like that for several weeks until I got my replacement. Still rode that day too!

We had plenty of help.
    [​IMG]

The fan had worn holes in the radiator because it was pushed back.
    [​IMG]

Garry and I after we finished the mountain.
    [​IMG]

"Buss up" is Hawaiian Pidgin slang for "busted up" or damaged.
    [​IMG]

Also, Garry's strap came in handy. Also a necessity.
    In case you ever need to tow, just put a loop in one end and put it on the towing bike's foot peg. then wrap the other end around the handle bar with the end on a grip so you can release in case of an issue.

Norfolk Pine forest. These were planted back in the day to use to repair ships masts (or so I heard). We have a forest like this on Oahu too.
    [​IMG]

We went swimming in the rain on Monday. That water was sooooo cold. It was exhilarating.

Shipping the truck with four bikes back to Oahu. All of the gear is in the cab. No one ever has a problem with stuff missing. The guys at the dock are really cool. They even work on Memorial day because so many folks ship bikes and cars over and need to be back at work Tuesday morning.
    [​IMG]

Lots of good food and good friends. Can't wait for next year!
  12. Gasser

Gasser Control crash rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The Motorcycle sun God is here but the rain Devil took over as the day progressed.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Da Grunt himself who laid out the official starting line with his Motion Pro sprayer.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Stan with a flat @ mile 12 had a tube but no tire irons, lucky Ed Ung had a 10 year old can of Fix-A-Flat that some how worked to plug a pinched tube.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Then it started to rain at 9K elev. but the 09 KTM 200 punched through it with 12K on the original top end as my 72 yr old right wrist spanked its guts out.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Marks new Yamadog decided to lay down in the nasty lava rocks twisting the radiator into a leak mode, Gary looked into its eye for vitals and Dennis prayed for continuing spark as I vociferated that, with enough profanity any fix is possible.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

The windy foggy rain moved in as Stan and his EMT motorcycle Medics worked feverishly to JB Weld the leaking Yamadog's artery as we benchraced joked the time away.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

The Yamadog laid quietly as six hands worked synchronously for aqua plugging magic to take place as its water heart was inserted back into its chassis.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

We all donated some CamelBak aqua plasma to the blue dog as radiator surgeon Stan gives the shucks OK for pump actuation.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    Kyle Smith’s new rear tire after a record making blitz around Mauna Kea’s R1 road.

We all froze our okole’s off as we road through the rain and fog dodging big rocks with limited visibility, I had windshield wiper blades glued on both gloves
    allowing me to wick it up between quick clear view swipes.

As usual Steve and Lehua Lau put on a great after ride BBQ as we watched MK114 vid’s of the Memorial Day weekend ride....Mahalo! to all that helped make this ride happen
  13. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input fellahs! I know there are more images out there we just gotta get somebody to post them!!!

In Steve's Words: "Yeee Hhhhaaaaaaa"

Fantastic weekend!
  14. Gasser

Gasser Control crash rider

Oddometer:
    Two day Mauna Kea 114 ride, Mark, Dennis, Riley with Gasser videoing going around Mauna Kea’s R1

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  15. ARZ

ARZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you guys had a great time on that Mauna Kia. I cant wait to see it myself.

I wanted to extend my offer again, and hope to meet some more moto guys on Maui. I will be there from June 4th to the 16th, and my closest riding comrade will be there from the 4th to the 10th. Hoping we can hook up with Mike the rental guy and/or a local, willing to share a beer and some moto stories and most importantly a trail ride.

I have an extra bike at home in Mesa AZ 450/530 EXC/XCW and would be glad to reciprocate, or be a trail guide almost anywhere in AZ at a later date.

Hope to meet some of you Islanders soon. Please PM me and Ill shoot you my contact info.
  16. pengvisor

pengvisor weekend rider

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I'm going for a trip to Hawaii in a 2 weeks or so. First week probably going to be on O’ahu riding regular bicycle, but 2nd week I want to go to Big Island and ride a bit offroad on a motorcycle.
    Is there a place where I can rent a bike for 4-5 days ? Any chance of a gear rental ? I can bring all my gear but that alone is 1 huge bag.
    Since I don't know the place, is there any chance that some of you can share some tracks to ride. Maybe you guys ride often and I can tag alone on one of the rides.

thanks in advance, and see you on the trails.
  17. mrider

mrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haven't used them (yet) but check these guys out. Dual sports. On their web site anyway, the rides look more street oriented - but ask them if they can do a ride off of Saddle Road...there I think is plenty of legal dirt over there. They do tours but might cut you a deal to rent one for a few days.

http://www.hiadv.com/guided-tours/

18. hiADV

hiADV Island Explorer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for recommending us mrider! Just to clarify, our tours can consist of mostly offroad or mostly pavement... it all depends on what the rider prefers. There are many trails all over the island that are amazing to explore as well as many fun paved backroads. Aside from guided tours, we also rent the bikes out for self guided adventures and we do offer multiple day discounts.

Here is a link to our self guided rental prices:
    http://www.hiadv.com/rentals-and-rates/
  19. hiADV

hiADV Island Explorer

Oddometer:
    Hey pengvisor! You can rent a bike from us and take off or we can take you out on a guided tour. The only way to see some of the more remote trails is through a guided tour but there are still plenty of other places to ride that I can show you on a map if you go it alone. We only provide helmets currently so any gear beyond that, you may want to bring. We've had people ship gear to our shop ahead of time so they don't have to drag it through the airport.

Have a look at our website and let me know if you would like to make a reservation asap as July is filling up quickly. I look forward to meeting you!

http://www.hiadv.com/
  20. hiADV

hiADV Island Explorer

Oddometer:
    Also, please email me at info@hiadv.com for a faster response as I don't check the forum daily. Mahalos!