East of Phoenix Rider's Group

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by 750Volts!, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Creeker747

Creeker747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. verboten

verboten confused

Oddometer:
  3. IBRiding

IBRiding Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I am looking for some help on a possible ride.

Can anyone tell me if there is a route to go from Gisela to Young that isn't too difficult. Say no harder than Montana mountain.
    [SIZE=+0][/SIZE]

Thanks

Bill
  4. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Bill-
    I'm not sure from Gisela but from Punkin Center you can take FR-71 and it's really nice and easy up to 609 like so. At point C it splits off to the 416 which is what Viper05 and I took a few weeks ago and that trail dead ends. On the Tonto forest map it said that the 609 continues over to the 288. I don't see it on GoogleMaps but you can barely make out a trail on satellite view. Nothing looked intimidating up there wen we rode it but some of the trails we wandered off into did close up and were impassable. I'd be interested in scoping it out but I'm not sure I can ride this weekend.
  5. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    i only know one route,,,, it could get pretty knarly depending on rain and traffic.
    i havent been on it in years cause i heard, but dont know for sure, that it was closed.

the rough spot and sometimes real rough was getting through the tonto creek canyon. if you look at google maps the rd comes out of gisela and young but dont show they connect, although i recon they still do if your ambitios enough.

used to run north out of town on the powerline rd and then split off the east,, BTW google maps also doesnt show the powerline rd coming out of star valley connecting with gisela but i KNOW it still does cause ive been on it recently, and thats a nice rd.
  6. IBRiding

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys

I am not quite sure what ride to do for sure but want to hit Young Saturday.

Take Care
    Bill
  7. WantToRideMoar

WantToRideMoar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been a while since I was out, but I took the XR out to Rolls OHV yesterday after work. Did a bunch of maintenance on the XR over the last several weeks along with tire changes to full knobbies from street/dirt hybrids, and I'm liking the result. Never been through Rolls before, that is really fun back there!
  8. IBRiding

Oddometer:
    I still need to make it out there sometime, sounds like a fun place.

Saturday I am planning on going to Young via the Apache trail and then the 288.

Depending on time we are going to try taking Haggler creek up to the 260 then back thru Payson or go back the way we came, we will see.

If anyone can make we can meet at the Chevron of the 60 and Idaho Rd.

I figure we wound eat at Antlers and skip Breakfast.

Take Care
    Bill
  9. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    What time are you headed up there? I was thinking of doing Apache trail/4 peaks but I'm not opposed to taking the 288 to Young, then maybe Chamberlain Trail to the 260.. or something else big bike friendly.
  10. IBRiding

Oddometer:

Oops,

Lets say 8:00
  11. fuggy

fuggy Canyon Explorer

Oddometer:
    Yes, there is a unimproved 4x4 road from Rye Creek that will take you to Young. Check out Google maps, I think the gravel road is labeled 'coffee pot' and is accessed on the right, just after turning off the Hwy 87 to head east to Gisela. There is a few gates if I remember correctly and you had to cross through 76 Ranch. Hardest part is easier than Montana Mtn IMHO, and that comes at the first 10% of the ride to Young. Not many people back there on the Gisela side, so I wouldn't recommend riding it alone. Some cool grave sights off to the left as you top out overlooking Gisela.

A month ago we did the 'mail trail', which heads out of Gisela east and connects up with the road mentioned above(labeled 894/134 on my FS maps). This is a small bike only route that can get very technical in spots, but another option.
  12. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
    Bill, I wouldn't recommend the mail trail. Big E told me about the time he did it, and he said it was a lot like the rug road. Steep, loose and never ending!

I've never ridden with fuggy, but have seen some of his videos. If he says small bike and very technical, you don't want any part of it.
  13. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Allright, I should be able to make that, gray GS, weird accent.
  14. MrGoldfish

MrGoldfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well the inevitable finally happened this morning. I got in a wreck on my way to work. I was going about 40 MPH when a dude pulled out in front of me. Totaled the KLR. I went for quite a tumble but my tiez suit and helmet worked fantastically and I walked away from it. Getting X-rays now to make sure nothing is broken. I'll have to write something up better once I am in front of a computer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. rickcool72

rickcool72 mOtOcIcLiStA

Oddometer:
    Sorry about your KLR but so thankful you're ok to tell the story.

I had a horrible close call yesterday as a car locked his brakes and was going to hit me from behind at the ramp on Cactus and 101 southbound. I guess he was distracted and/or wanted to beat the red light!

My guardian angel and my skills saved me. I usually downshift when coming to a red light or stop. So all I had to do was twist the throttle and release the clutch wheeling my way out of certain collision.

I was shaken up but thankful to be ok... next time I see you we gotta celebrate we're ok.

Si?

:)

Ricardo C.
  16. DurtKlod

DurtKlod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mr. Goldfish,
    I'm very sorry to hear about your accident. I always tell people, it's not if, it's when. I hope all is well and no broken bones. Take it easy, find a hot tub to soak in, you'll likely be a bit sore tomorrow.
  17. verboten

verboten confused

Oddometer:
    Crap, glad you are okay. That looks like a serious hit. Be sure you get checked out a second time by the doc. All kinds of weird stuff happens to your body the week after. My hip is still swollen somewhat from a January accident :eek1

In terms of the bike... I totaled mine earlier this year as well. If you file an insurance claim, be sure to tally up all the parts, upgrades, and riding gear. I got about 5800 for my 2009 from my insurance company, which I considered a great deal all things considered. If you need any tips in that regard, shoot me a PM.
  18. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Dam it. Glad your ok. Good news is you can total the KLR and get a real bike....:rofl
  19. WantToRideMoar

WantToRideMoar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you're okay, Goldfish!
  20. IBRiding

Oddometer:
    holy crap Batman glad you're OK