2001 R1150GS EPROM Chip - Aftermarket

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by garet55947, Oct 13, 2003.

1. garet55947

garet55947 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions on replacing or upgrading the stock 2001 1150GS chip? Best bang for the buck?
  2. dapolrbear

dapolrbear Buddah Head Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BMW Santa Cruz carrys chips made by Wunderlich, not sure the price, I think Laser has one too. They are in the 300-400 bucks range.
  3. temoore

temoore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the BBPower chip, which is the one imported by Wunderlich as mentioned above. It is more expensive than some, but offers more programs. 1)stock exhaust system 2)no cat, but stock muffler 3)no cat, performance muffler. In addition, there are programs for the above when you have to run lower octane fuel. Progams are changed by switching the provided jumper, which is installed in the fuse box where the CCP plug is or would have been.
    My $.02 worth is that unless you are running a modified exhaust, don't bother. The configuration for stock exhaust does not seem any better, if as good as stock. I have had a complete performance exhaust on it with the chip, and now run a Sebring "Y" cat eliminator and stock muffler. I find it performs best in the stage 3 config., even though this is supposed to be for performance muffler w/ no cat.
    What have I gained? Smoothed power curve, less peaky in the middle, stronger at the top, higher rev limiter, and a slight decrease in fuel economy. Also, no muffler pops on decel., which can be a problem w/ modified exhausts. Is the chip worth it? Probably not. Rhine West now makes a chip that is less expensive. Two stages, stock or performance muffler.
    What is it you want? If it is more performance, you will probably get some slight performance w/ chip, exhaust and K&N, however it is an expensive gain for so little. If it is reducing the surging, try the champion spark plugs. I changed to these last week, and it has been one of the most dramatic changes I have made, and at $3.50, it is the most bang for my buck by a LONG shot. Almost no surging, much smoother, better response. Feels like a different bike. I would not have believed that such a small change could make such a big differece.
  4. garet55947

Oddometer:
    Give me more details on the Champion spark plugs please.
  5. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Which Champion plug are you using?

:dj
    R-dubb
  6. temoore

temoore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Champion RC9YC plugs.
    The RC9YC4 are the same, just pre-gapped at .04" (you need to gap either one to .8mm). If anyone changes to this plug, post your results. I had tried an Autolite as suggested a couple of years ago, and it actually seemed worse than stock. I would be interested to see if others have as much success with this as I did. Previous posters have said this plug makes a big difference, but I had not tried it until this last week. I still have the BBP chip in, so I would be interested to hear how well it smooths things out for the stock chip.
  7. garet55947

Oddometer:
    Just so I have this correct. Use the Champion RC9YC plug and gap to .8mm? Correct?
  8. temoore

temoore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, although some have said they gap it to 1mm, most including me gap at .8mm (.031 inches).
  9. alandon

alandon n00b

Oddometer:
    Surging is not a plug related problem. Sync your throttle bodies at idle and at 2500 rpm and all surging is gone. I do mone at 6000 service. I know have 90;000 miles and never deal with surge