Rally Navigator - Create Rally Roadbooks with Mapbox and GPS

Discussion in 'Racing' started by RenoMoto, Dec 29, 2012.

1. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    I'm certain I would work a LOT faster and with fewer errors when I'm in a comfortable chair on my home computer using a mouse than on a moto seat using a tablet on my bars with some other input device. And for me, I never make routes in places I've been before. It's ALWAYS new terrain, which often has fences, gates, and other unexpected stuff that blocks my planned path. If I drew the tulips while on the trail, I'd be drawing a LOT of tulips for stuff I eventually have to throw away due to route blockages. I'm sure others have their own way of making rally routes, but a tablet with a roadbook making app on my bike would be of little use for me. It sounds great, but I think in practice it would not be so good.
  2. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Hey Greg, I'm aware of 3 other products going in the same direction and have even been asked to test one, I'm also sure there are many more in development now that I wouldn't even know about. I believe it's a commitment thing as to whether they get done or not.

What the RallyNav team have done here is awesome, now other programs are popping up, maybe even building on what you've done, all I'm saying is making it mobile would appeal to many.

An app that records my tracks or follows an overlaid track, populates the lat/long, mileage, heading fields and when I want to add a tulip all I do is stop drag and drop the appropriate tulip from a menu, enter and go to the next. Get home, print it out and share it with whom I choose.

It's very close to what you've done here, just like RallyNav, I'm not drawing tulips, just dragging and dropping, just like RallyNav I'm not recording lat/long, mileage or heading, the app is, but it's while you're riding and I think that would appeal to many.

Would that take longer then prerunning it, maybe, would it be accurate, of course. At the very least it would be a great editing tool for prerunning one made at home.

Sitting in your pajamas sipping margaritas and planning a route will always be one way of using the program, making it mobile, while not the way you'd use it, would cover that market too and expand it's use, as a mobile app I can sit in a bar and sip margs, or sit on the toilet, where I do my best thinking and continue working on it.

Point is why limit it's use to only one method?

You guys are the experts, but the thing is a large portion of us are beginners at this and doing routes that we already know, with side excursions to keep it interesting. You guys are exploring new and exciting routes, we're just exploring the process of making a roadbook and mostly starting with what we know.

So I guess you're saying no app, no standalone PC based program, just a web based program, Bummer.

Please don't take anything I said poorly, I think this is an exciting and growing field, things are moving quickly and I'd hate to see you guys miss out on something like this by limiting it's use.
  3. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    No offense taken at all. We value all the feedback and interest!!! :clap

Never say never ;-)

Dave
  4. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Bummer, there are many apps that have downloadable maps that track with GPS, it'll just be a matter of time.
  5. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691537
  6. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    just created my first road book :D How easy was that !
    just a 12k loop with lots of direction changes close to where I live (all paved roads) just so I can get the hang of the Nav for the "Condo 750" which I entered - I'm a complete "noob" to Nav rallys so wish me luck :D
    I'm really looking forward to creating longer more interesting routes now and getting out there with more of my mates.. Im thinking that this program will really help the sport no end once it gets out there.
    I had a minor issue with printing though. Im using a macbook air and initially printed off another riders roadbook no problems. I switched to firefox and the older google earth and then experienced printing issues - basically a shift in the alignment. I went back to chrome and the latest GE and hey presto no issues. It also appears to me to be a lot faster. Maybe I screwed something up ?

Anyway thanks guys, Now to get this book taped together and get it into my bike, Ive got learning to do !! :D
  7. @dreamer

@dreamer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone, first of all I want to thank you guys for designing Rally Navigator. I am new to this whole thing so a bit of a rookie. I got this set "dom.ipc.plugins.enabled =true" but when I go to GE and try to change from 7.0 to 6.2 it wont let me, the spot where you click for 6.2 never highlights which would allow you to select it. any ideas?

Thanks for the help
    Keith
  8. RenoMoto

RenoMoto Rally Navigator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keith:

Go here and closely follow the directions for installing Google Earth 6.2. You must UN-Check the boxes at the top of the page so you can select the boxes at the bottom for 6.2

[​IMG]

Good luck and thanks for trying Rally Navigator.

Mike
  9. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    I updated some existing routes, and created a new route over the weekend.
  10. marcuss

marcuss Mahout

Oddometer:
    Firstly, great work!

I've only recently started working on a couple of local routes, but I've run into a problem.

I can save the files I'm working on, but if I exit and try to open the file to print or edit (or anything really), the roadbook preview doesn't seem to appear, only the ever revolving "loading" circle. In the route library, the newest file I'm able to open is one created 5 April.

I'm running Windows 7 SP1, Firefox 20.0.1 IPC disabled, GE 6.2.2.6613. I've tried using Chrome and the newer version of GE, but to no avail.

Is this a known problem?
  11. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    Thanks Marcus. I think we have a fix for this. We're working on getting it out there ASAP.

Dave
  12. italrally

italrally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same problem, did a lot of work and now i can't see the roadbook when i want to open it from the my routes site !

need help please !

Thanks

Mic.
  13. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    Drop me an email and tell me the name (or the URL of your route).

Dave
  14. italrally

italrally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM send
  15. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    Hi,

We just pushed a new release to the site. It appears to take care of the reports of not being able to open a new route after it has been saved. Thanks to the two folks who PM'd me with details.

We still recommend that you save frequently. There may still be a gremlin floating around where saving may fail. You don't want to be caught out with hours of unsaved work. "Save early, save often" as they used to say.

We plan on implementing an auto-save function as well.

Dave
  16. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Just thought I'd throw this out there... we have room for another developer on the Rally Navigator project. We want another rally enthusiast. As the product is free, there isn't any cash to share, but we have some intangible and other tangible benefits to offer.

[​IMG]

JavaScript, jQuery, and/or Ruby on Rails. Google Maps or Google Earth API experience a plus. If you can help, drop me a PM or email. Let's not muck up this thread with replies.

Thanks,
    Dave
  17. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    We've just pushed some new code out. We now auto-save your route whenever you are idle for 10 seconds. This should prevent data loss if you have unsaved work at the same moment you find a bug.

Enjoy!
  18. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keeps getting better and better! :thumb
  19. marcuss

marcuss Mahout

Oddometer:
    It's all ship shape and Bristol fashion now. Great work!
  20. Happe

Happe Adventure Bike Spanner Man

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave,

works a treat now.

Autosave is a bit brutish now. Hacks in while writing.
    Caused me once to edit the wrong entry

cu
    Stefan