2012 Gas Gas EC 300 E-Start

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by modette, Jan 10, 2013.

1. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    The Hyde pipe guard is probably the best one on the market, they look a little wierd but will save you $$, pipes aren't cheap. Nice rad guards too. That that bike is outfitted well.

Is the powervalve adjustable?

After your XRR, you'll be surprised how well you'll be able to ride that bike. Dropping a 100lbs in one whack makes a huge difference to your ability. Very nice machine :thumb
  2. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    I have to weigh the GG, but I got a weight on the XR650R with maybe 3 gallons in it, it came to 341lbs...people on the GG forum say they have gotten weights of 250lbs to 260lbs so there is 80 lbs savings if not more assuming like always I have a fuel 6.5 gallons in the XRR while on single track...LOL So I probably am a lot lighter on the GG.

I'm excited to ride the GG
  3. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Let's compare apples to apples. KTM 300s have none of those problems. Maybe the only one that is valid is the seat foam.
    I have a Gasser trials bike in addition to my KTMs. I have put more repair dollars into that one two year old trials bike,than all my KTMs.

Edit. Don't bring up the 950. ::lol3

Btw, I can't wait to hear how you guys like em in the whoops. It should be brilliant in the woods! :thumb
  4. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    602 would be the guy to ask, a primadonna through and through!

JK: he just knows what he likes in bikes!
  5. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Actually the importer Clay said to fix the GG in the whoop's is get a longer chain and move the tire back in the swing arm and it is suppose to make a difference. I have no clue just what I read on the GG forum so that might not be an issue...and who does whoops for fun...not a fan here and not why I bought the bike.....LOL
  6. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    No doubt, agreed. TooFast was throwing stuff out there that was not even applicable to a KTM 300.

It looks like a great bike. Can't argue with the Ohlins shock coming standard! :thumb
  7. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Luv the non applicable generalizations, have you even owned a ktm 2t? I abuse the crap out of mine never had those issues nor has any of my riding buddies, if that's your personal expierence you probably need to find a mechanic and quit working on it yourself.
  8. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Marzocchi Shocks.... Sweet bike. I still love 2 strokes. Red rules LOL!!!
  9. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it is just a modern 4t overview, my Husky certainly had some of those issues.

As to whoops, it's a woods bike, but I can tell you now it'll pound whoops better than a 4t euro trailbike no problem. I'm going to move the 310 and get a 450/5XX 4t for pure desert duty though, as trying to compromise sucks.
  10. Duck_Pilot

Duck_Pilot Retired Roadracer

Oddometer:
    ........ yer gonna putcher eye out with that thing!

:rofl
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    So do my Hondas, usally a result of folks who have no business working on a motorcycle. I see allot of orange out there. Last ride in the Swell we had riders from 3 different states come out, one Honda, one Yamaha, 6 KTMs, sorta speaks for itself.

Nice Bike Mark, sorry for the hijack.
  12. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly! I want/need a dedicated desert bike. :nod

I do think that the GasGas would do great out there though. But, like you say, here we go again trying to have one bike do it all! :rofl
  13. Wannabeeuro

Wannabeeuro Tuner chic

Oddometer:
    Are you the guy in this <iframe src="http://www.xtranormal.com/xtraplayr/7134053/ready_to_race" width="504" height="312" frameborder="0"></iframe> video?
  14. selaznog

selaznog Roadless Warrior

Oddometer:

I BOUGHT that 950. :ddog

And sometimes your 300 abuses YOU! :lol3 Wait a minute, My orange 525 abuses me too, so maybe it's user error. :scratch Maybe the orange 300s are so light they don't have the kickstand problems. A lot of folks, myself included have had kickstand failures on KTM 4Ts. But hey, if it doesn't fail, then you can't justify a PMB replacement.

The seat foam on my 08' GG EC300 was way, WAY worse than anything my behind has ever sat on, short of concrete in January, and definitely worse than the stocker on my KTM. Wait, no, it was worse than concrete in January. I did a little modification that helped a lot. That said, the bike has been very good to me otherwise. Out of the box it's a fair bit shorter than its orange 300 counterpart, and that was a key buying point for me. The chassis feels more like a 175 than a 300. There's a lot of parts crossover, and I've even cannibalized back and forth with my 525 to make a Sunday ride possible.

The price? Definitely less than orange if you go used. Mine was a leftover and it was less than half of list. All in all, the KTMs hold their value while the GGs quickly depreciate.
  15. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    That is one thing I will never understand. I never buy something to HOLD value, I buy it to use it. But then I'm not trading in a motorcycle every year or two...I ride it till it dies and then maybe some. I'll have the GG for 10 years...what type of value will I expect out of it then...LOL

I also view what was the value I got from riding/driving the vehicle. It's how I sold my FZ1...guy even asked if I was okay with the price, sure I could of gotten a little more but I was fine at the price I listed it because I factored that I got X amount of fun out of it. I'm never int he market of a vehicle to try and reclaim a ton of money.

So the GG could go down $4K by next year and it don't matter to me.
  16. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was my decision too, I bought this bike to ride. It isn't an investment, just a toy financially speaking, so I decided to choose the one that felt best to ride. From all accounts it should last a while, but if I get 2 years of good riding out of it I'll be happy.
  17. selaznog

selaznog Roadless Warrior

Oddometer:
    That's the right attitude. Buy it. Ride it. Repeat if necessary. I only mentioned the depreciation because the guy asked about price. I feel like I got my Gasser for a steal, so my my fun=X value is through the roof.
  18. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    That certainly sweetens the deal! :clap

Modette, are the Bullet Proof radiator guards the same across all years? I checked their site and it only listed 07/08 so I went with the Enduro Engineering braces, which certainly are an inferior product but should suit my purposes.
  19. TooFast

TooFast Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apparently it's unaminous

<IFRAME height=312 src="http://www.xtranormal.com/xtraplayr/7134053/ready_to_race" frameBorder=0 width=504></IFRAME>video?[/QUOTE]
  20. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    Damm KTM 4 stroker kickstands!!!!

[​IMG]

Good thing we found this on the trail. Saved us some time to get to the important things, like getting to Taos
    to have a brew at Eskees. :D