Pretty interesting ad on local craigslist

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by jtwind, May 18, 2011.

1. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
  2. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Douglas's seem to be quite rare, even in the UK! They seem to be off the collectors radar so prices are reasonable, there is an owners club, but I don't get the feeling that there are many people out there making parts to keep them going. The sporting versions had a reputation of being quite fast but a bit fragile.

The story is that the original 'fore and aft' BMWs were copies of a Douglas engine.

On my photo bucket site ( same username as here) there is a picture of a 4 cylinder Douglas, scratch built by a guy in the owners club, it is a stacked 4, with 2 cylinders of each side, fantastic carburetor intake tubes, icing a real possibility, the bike really does look as if the factory built it.

Charles
  3. jedcaum

jedcaum Lucky, Lucky Bastard

Oddometer:
    "i have a 1946 Douglas Mark IV i dont know much about this bike i dont know if it runs its part of my dads estate and i got the ok to sell it now i do not have the tittle for it sold on bill of sale only i Have the origanal registation book from england and a book "the best twin" a book on Douglas Bikes it was appraissed at $15,000 but sence it disnt have a tittle im willing to go to $4,500 its location is janesville wi if intrested please call ***-***-**** if you need more pics please feel free to email me"

I'm sorry for his loss, and it does look like a nice bike for a not too out of the ballpark price (fair, I mean, as opposed to the absolute limit of what he could try to get). I'd love to see the ad for the Victoria.

But holy crap - do they teach no spelling, construction, or punctuation at all any more? I mean, in this day of texting and message board posts from smart phones I'm not the grammar nazi I used to be, and I can forgive the occasional sloppiness, but wow. People don't even try. For goodness' sake, people, spellcheck is baked into the browser these days - it takes more effort to ignore it than it does to catch most mistakes.

Ok, rant over. And GET OFF MY LAWN! :johntm
  4. jedcaum

Oddometer:
    Here's the Victoria. Just as poorly written. :cry

http://madison.craigslist.org/mcy/2388141739.html

3ne3m23o65Y45T25S4b5i4b738730ef3d1c67.jpg

Dad must have been a pretty cool cat. Too bad the kid doesn't want to hold on to the legacy; these are two very nice examples, looks like. Maybe he's spending the money on a composition course or two.
  5. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    r u sure?

:lol3:lol3:lol3

p.s. Don't worry, all these heathens will be cooked in the inferno on 5/21. :D
  6. caponerd

caponerd Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Those are pretty cool bikes. If I was going to buy one, I'd take the Victoria Bergmiester.

Note that the Douglas has a chain drive. There's a bevel gear in the gearbox.
    They hadda do it differently. Douglas didn't turn their engines sideways the way BMW did in 1923 until after WWII, and they apparently didn't want to be too much like BMW.

The original opposed twin was built by ABC in England. It started out as an early aircraft engine. (I have a picture of one somewhere)
    ABC, Douglas, Bradshaw were all involved in the development of the opposed twin before WWI, BMW picked it up after they were banned from building radial aircraft engines by the Versailles Treaty.
  7. Carl

Carl ,,,

Oddometer:
    ...I don't care at all how the lad writes. It is all about the bikes in the ads.

The Douglas looks very nice. The model that is for sale and the Dragonfly are two very neat machines. They have always been high on my list for having to ride. Maybe I can swing it...

For a decent read check out the 'The Douglas Motorcycle 'The Best Twin'' by Jeff Clew. I got the book when it was printed the second time in 1981.

Carl
  8. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    I agree, but you must not spend much time on Craigslist? This guy is above average!
  9. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    1949 IZH Russia - $5500

<HR>Date: 2011-05-18, 9:43AM CDT
    Reply to: sale-6zhqx-2388148724@craigslist.org <SUP>[Errors when replying to ads?]</SUP>
    <HR>

i have a 1949 IZH russia i dont know much about this bike i dont know if it runs its part of my dads estate and i got the ok to sell it now i have the tittle for it the apprasial for the bike was $8,500-$6,500 its location is janesville wi if intrested please call 608-921-5520 if you need more pics please feel free to email me <!-- START CLTAGS -->

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    <!-- END CLTAGS --><TABLE summary="craigslist hosted images"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    PostingID: 2388148724
  10. elmoreman

elmoreman takin' a break, boss

Oddometer:
    please use dashes in-between words when you use them to create a new modifier.

not-too-out-of-the-ballpark

:D

http://www.grammarmudge.cityslide.com/articles/article/426348/2805.htm
  11. elmoreman

elmoreman takin' a break, boss

Oddometer:
    Isn't the Douglas the bike used by Fulton on the first round-the-world motorcycle tour?
  12. jedcaum

Oddometer:
  13. caponerd

Oddometer:

Yes
  14. caponerd

Oddometer:
    I wanta talk to that appraiser. My R69S should be worth at least $30,000, if that rolling basket case is worth even $6500.
  15. Jasper ST4

Jasper ST4 Guest

He's pulled the ad already. Probably not legit.
  16. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing he sold the douglas, the victoria and russia ads are still up!