BMW's new parallel twins - F800/650GS (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by kejago, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:

The ABS is very very light, less then 5lbs (I think 3lbs IIRC). Also with the F series bikes it is a safety tier system, not a performance enhancing such as self proportioning and no servos. This means it is no more difficult to bleed then conventional brakes. If you are going to use the bike primarily on the fire roads and gravel, the ABS will do you little good. But if you're commuting or slabbing it more then 50% of the time it will be a good feature to have to save you from yourself if you're not paying attention and what not.
  2. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:

Would you like to pet my monkey? Those are pannier monkeys, like the popular trunk monkey sedan option.
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I'm a former R 1100 GS rider, but my current bike is a WeeStrom. I've been waiting for the F 800 GS since it first surfaced in the rumor stage, and as soon as I get my hands on on it, the Wee goes up on eBay. #4 at my local dealer.

David
  4. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I'm a fan of the Big Red S, but will admit it was riding my friends F650gs that got me interested in the roms. Knew I didn't want/need the 1000 so I waited until Suzuki came out with the Wee :hide That being said I'd love to own the new F800gs, but there are other priorities in my life right now :patch

5. DawnBreaker

DawnBreaker ride earth then mars

Oddometer:
    I went to my local dealer today. The new 800GS with ABS, comfort package, centerstand plus TTL = 13997. Texas tax on a vehicle is 6.25%. He wanted a $1000 deposit and said I would get the bike the way I want it. However, this doesn't neccessarily mean the first bike to arrive at the dealership. If the first bike in isn't want I wanted I'll wait for an unknown amount of time until the one I want arrives. To be honest I had a little sticker shock. Once you consider adding farkles, you are talking about a big chunk of change.

A couple weeks ago the same dealership had a used (3500 miles) 2006, 1200GS for sale for 12.5K. It had farkles already on it. You really get gouged on new bikes. I think a used bike is a much better deal. None of them are investments.

Note: The wet weight of the the 800GS is only 40 lbs lighter than the 1200 GS (455lbs vs 495). Fuel Capacity 4.2gal. MPG @60 mph = 62 mpg.
  6. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me too. Word has it that they are the new Onboard Concierge option - OC for short. They ride on top of the panniers awaiting and anticipating your next need. Smart and smooth little buggers they are too. When you pull in to fuel up they deftly glide up in your vacating wake and top off the tank, clean the windscreen, guard the bike, and entertain the bored out of their mind kids in the cagewagon at the next pump. Meanwhile, you get to go make a deposit in the ceramic bank, grab a cuppa, smoke, check out the nice lady in the Miata ....

Later when you complete that fabulous arc past the overloaded RV envoy, twisting it on into the scenery, they are back there giving you big smiles, thumbs up, and other assorted ego strokes. They even do a bit of therapy/words of encouragement: "Yes you are a motorcycling God!" "Now, that is funny - no really we mean it." "Yes, some whinning is good, but you don't want us to start calling you Charlie." If need be they also can encourage through yelling and berating you up that rock strewn mass of inclination. "Get your ass in gear YFF!" "Does da big motorcycle man want a vile to put those tears in for your adventure log?" "Ok while your resting those few short steps from the top, we're gonna go ahead with that prostate check your doc called about - Now your moving - there ya go!"

The best part though has to be the fine ladies they lure over with their cuteness at scenic vistas. Before long they'll see just how friendly your monkey(s) is and then of course they'll want to start petting ;-)
  7. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info/inside look. Yep, I'm with ya on the paved unknowns and scenic rubber necking/WOE! Got a lot of deer back in the 'daks where I'm moving too. It'll be on mine. Cheers, R
  8. slowrider_nh

slowrider_nh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Road warrior here who hasn't been on a dirt bike for 15 years. I liked the 12GS, but was worried it would be too heavy off road. Anyway, it seems like the 800GS is the perfect size for what I'm hoping to do, 40% off road but good chunk of slab to reach those places.
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Yabbut, it's a whole 81 lbs. lighter than my old 1100 GS, and is even a few pounds lighter than my WeeStrom. My guess is that there won't be a whole lot of people "downgrading" from the 1200. But the weight might seem quite attractive to those of us who held out.

David
  10. kevrider

kevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :eek1 i'm cured!! thankya DB! :thumb :lol3

the 10.5 number seemed reasonable, but i hadn't price checked the options. i don't think i could justify 14 large, i can think of too many other uses for the money. i like the bike, just not that much. i can see a Kawasaki in my future. :deal
  11. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I test rode the F800ST today, right after test riding a new Tiger. i rode my GS to both dealerships, so that i could get a better sense of the differences,

I have no real idea of how the new 800GS willcompare to the 800ST, but assuming is it very similar (not sure why it wouldn't be) I will purchase the F800GS.

For me, published weight differences don't always seem to mean that much. The ST "felt" a lot lighter than my 12GS. Not as powerfull, but I think it would be as fast under 90 mph or so.

For me, it was like my 650 V Strom (which is one of the better bikes made, imho), but not so but ugly, and with more power:lol3 .

There are a lot of riders who will always want the latest and greatest (heaviest and most expensive as well) GSA type, but i think there will be lots of buyers who will opt for a little less.

Appartantly there will be one at the Long beach show tomorrow, looking forward to ssing it up close.

greg
  12. PacWestGS

PacWestGS Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer:
  13. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    Good feedback, and I hope that's the case.

I'm not a big fan of ABS or one of the "anit-ABS" crowd either, I've just never needed, or wanted it (honest,not trying to start the ABS debate here:D). After researching ABS on the F800 forum, an other places, I'd be worried if it was the same system on the GS as the S/ST model. Just way to many reports of the system not working properley under normal "spirited" riding and hard braking, to the point where owners talked about actually having to adjust thier riding style to keep the system from releasing pressure on the brakes when it shouldn't :eek1.

Now I don't know if that's the same system or not, but somthing for you guys interested in the ABS to check out. I ordered mine without ABS because that's the way I want it, but if it was a priority for me I'd need some assurance that it was a different system. Maybe one of you have already looked into that? :ear
  14. pm9654

pm9654 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ouch, $14,000 for an 800? Seems like a lot, even with the options.
  15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Hm, the total I get for an F 800 GS with those options is US$12,035. With your 6.25% tax, that makes it US$12,787. Does your dealer really tack on US$1,210 for transportation and dealer prep? Unless my math is wrong (likely), that seems kinda steep to me. No, it seems REALLY steep! :eek1

David
  16. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    The price quoted seems very high and everything I've seen shows more than a 44 lb. difference.
  17. ThePikeman

ThePikeman German n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok... I want some of these drugs!
    Manual labor in Germany is not very cheap, so the engineers would not think about monkeys. Would a nice robotic arm on the tank be sufficient? (Also does not cry for bananas).

18. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    $10,520 base price
    475 comfort pkg
    890 ABS
    150 centerstand
    ----------------------
    $12035 sub-total
    1203 estimated CA tax + license (10%)
    --------
    $13235 before dealer adds his BS :huh

Any idea what the dealers will want for the privilege of selling you the bike? Shipping? Set-up?
  19. TreeFarmer

TreeFarmer Tree Farmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the spirit of keeping this thread moving in a positive direction.
    I (40 this year) am new to BMW and fairly new as an adult riding bikes again (5 years). I will be finding a new home for my very well farkled 1988 Honda NX650. Don't put a lot of miles on the current steed, just not that comfortable @ freeway speeds. Great around town bike & off pist, but just don't rack up the miles. I hope to change that a bit with this new bike. Hope to get in some overnight & longer trips. I ordered mine with everything except the clear turn signals and in the silver. (Wife did not like the bumblebee and as long as she is ok with me getting a new motorcycle, I'll go with silver . :evil ) I will defintly add hard bags, leaning to Jesse's or Happy Trails. Also will add: engine guard, bash plate & hand guards. I am #2 at my dealer with a $100 deposit, yes i do believe it to be refundable.

Now I am just waiting...:slurp
  20. chas1969

chas1969 Go! Far w/Less ADVer

Oddometer:
    Price for new GS: I think exchange rate is the biggest bugger here ... 1.46$ USD to 1 euro. It makes it tuff to export to the USA.

Chas