ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2015, 08:36 AM   #3376
realshelby
FLAKE

Oddometer: 105
Most suspension Gurus' don't like progressive rate springs. Thus the spring change.

A "single" rate spring is actually progressive if you consider it gets harder to compress as it gets shorter. "Progressive" springs use different coil spacing, wire diameters, etc. to change the rate quicker. Supposedly to allow a more plush ride at the beginning of compression. In the real world it makes it VERY difficult to set up the damping to handle this varying load. Which means a properly damped single rate is usually the best compromise.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for V Strom. Eliminate Chudder for good.
WERKS Final Drive Minders for Beemers available HERE
realshelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #3377
Georgios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Most suspension Gurus' don't like progressive rate springs. Thus the spring change.

A "single" rate spring is actually progressive if you consider it gets harder to compress as it gets shorter. "Progressive" springs use different coil spacing, wire diameters, etc. to change the rate quicker. Supposedly to allow a more plush ride at the beginning of compression. In the real world it makes it VERY difficult to set up the damping to handle this varying load. Which means a properly damped single rate is usually the best compromise.
Yes, I have heard basically the same. But it would be interesting to know the old and new spring rates.
Georgios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:43 PM   #3378
Farmer Hank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgios View Post
I see.
Why do they want to change the fork springs, when the problem is located with the compression damping?
And did they measured the spring rates from the progressive stock fork spring? What is the rate from the new linear one?
The stock progressives start at .80 kg/mm and go upwards when compressed. The higher rate is hard to nail down from measurement because it's dependent on travel. Replacement straight rate will be around .90 kg/mm. The result won't change the effective spring rate very much. I went ahead and changed them because most suspension tuners prefer straight rate springs and it's easier/less expensive to do while the forks are already apart.
I think manufacturers use progressives to try to cope with widely varying rider weights. Rebound damping circuits are designed to bleed off energy stored in the spring gradually. The more this spring force varies, (i.e. progressive springs) the harder it is to keep rebound speeds consistent.
Farmer Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #3379
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
1200 miles to the "King of the Hammers!!"

Leaving Tuesday morning from Tacoma to head southeast of L. A. to check out the desert racing.

Made some mods to my '14 DL-1000. More to come later!

Added small "marker" lights on the side tank. They also blink with the turn signals. Rigid Duallies in front along with SW Motech crash bars. Fabricated handguards from clear lexan. TKC70 front tire.

"Tall" seat. Trax bags.

SW Motech adjustable shifter and Pivot Pegz.

The brake pedal was "improved" by welding a tab inside the toe pedal so that it is easier to touch when standing up.

Hyperlites mounted horizontally above the license plate. Horizontal seems to provide more conspicuity, IMHO.

Mirror extenders (the horizontal aluminum pieces) that extend the mirror out for more vision, and serve as GPS mounts on the inboard side. Much sturdier than Ram mounts, in my experience.

Don't believe anyone else has these, yet! Pro-Taper "Adventure-High" bars. Very tall, perfect sweep. And....the two gray rectangular switches are for 1) ABS turn-off, and 2) to be decided. Yep...ABS turn-off!!!

Here is the on/off switch for the Rigid lights so they are independent of the hi/lo beam

TKC70 rear tire

Old 01-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #3380
Georgios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Hank View Post
The stock progressives start at .80 kg/mm and go upwards when compressed. The higher rate is hard to nail down from measurement because it's dependent on travel. Replacement straight rate will be around .90 kg/mm. The result won't change the effective spring rate very much. I went ahead and changed them because most suspension tuners prefer straight rate springs and it's easier/less expensive to do while the forks are already apart.
I think manufacturers use progressives to try to cope with widely varying rider weights. Rebound damping circuits are designed to bleed off energy stored in the spring gradually. The more this spring force varies, (i.e. progressive springs) the harder it is to keep rebound speeds consistent.
Youre probably right about the damping.
Regarding the springs, there is no problem to measure the higher rate of the progressive ones, because spring rate remains constant, as long as the windings from the first part of the spring dont touch each other. When this happens during the compression stroke, the other higher rate will overtake.
So, there are only two values.

Besides, I am not sure, if the higher rate linear spring wont make the fork stiffer for small bumps. Or the damping has the larger effect on the whole system, which I dont know.

Surely Im no expert and the people from Cogent Dynamics will know better.
Georgios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:49 PM   #3381
MRBLACK947
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Have a safe trip OlyRider.........

I would love to check out KOH one of these years.
MRBLACK947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #3382
pantzoften
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Olyrider, I can't find anything about the Adventure-High on the Pro-Taper website. I'm up 20 mm on the stock bars and that's as much as I can get. Do the High adventure bars change your hand position and if so, in what way??

Re you trip, are you shooting down the freeway or taking the coastal route??
Old 01-24-2015, 04:50 PM   #3383
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantzoften View Post
Olyrider, I can't find anything about the Adventure-High on the Pro-Taper website. I'm up 20 mm on the stock bars and that's as much as I can get. Do the High adventure bars change your hand position and if so, in what way??

Re you trip, are you shooting down the freeway or taking the coastal route??

Not me. My boss's bike. Sorry, wasn't clear about that! He asked me to post pictures so he could join the thread. The Pro-Taper bars are a very close match to stock. Except that they are 1 1/8 inch. There are Pro-Taper fat bar risers under them, but the rise is minimal. However, one could use taller risers if necessary. The bars are prototypes, so they probably aren't on the website yet. Hopefully, Pro-Taper will follow through with production.

OlyRider screwed with this post 01-24-2015 at 05:07 PM
OlyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #3384
pantzoften
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Thanks!!
Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM   #3385
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
SW Motech and Mosko BC bags

Got these mounted up yesterday. SW Motech Evo racks and Mosko Moto BackCountry bags. Didn't quite fit out of the box, but a few simple mods, and I'm pretty happy. I am surprised by the crappy hardware provided by SW Motech. Soft bolts, and bolts that are too short.

aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #3386
offshorebob
n00b

Oddometer: 7
My new V2 with 28 liter Mule Packs, I made the racks, and the boxes.

offshorebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM   #3387
MarathonMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Enduro Guardian Skid Plate

Yann from Enduro Guardian previously made this offer:

"The first person that owns a DL1000 2014 model that is willing to help me by bringing their bike over to my shop (Eugene Oregon) so I can work on making a bracket that will allow the EnduroGuardian skid plate to fit the new Vstrom, will get a free skid plate once the design is finalized. $200 value.

yann
(541)912-1205
yann_dex@msn.com
Enduroguardian.com"

Well, he is still looking for somebody to swing by his place in Eugene, Oregon so he can finalize his Skid Plate design. Anybody?????????

FREE SKID PLATE! FREE SKID PLATE! FREE SKID PLATE!
MarathonMan is offline   Reply With Quote