F800GS - RXV Shiver'ed Fork Conversion

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Gangplank, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    So in reading this thread:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524147

I decided to take on the fork conversion. Turns out -W- was thinking the same thing I was a while back except I had planned to use some KYB forks off a YZ250F. After the debacle of going to Aftershocks at TriValley Moto only to find out Phil and TriValley split ways the night before I showed up with my forks in hand, ugh.... I decided to go this route.

I am starting this thread because a few of us have been asking questions of -W- and this will give us our own thread to communicate in. I'm going to quote the important posts from the above thread here so we'll have the info in one easy to reference place.

The short version is this: You can easily convert the front forks on the BMW F800GS. I used a set of Marzocchi forks from an Aprilia RXV450.

Here is the order of things:
    Find used forks with simialr diamater (marzocchi Shiver45 forks are the same as ours but a much upgraded version of their fork)
    Take them apart
    Take the bottom foot adjuster from the donor forks
    Take it to a local machine shop along with the bottom part of each F800GS fork
    The machine shop can machine the bottom of the stock forks to fit the donor bottom (compression) adjuster
    Take the internals from the donor forks + the fork tubes from your stock forks + fork caps from the donor forks
    Bring it to a local and good dirt bike or dualsport suspension shop (I used McCoy's Offroad in Carson City, NV)
    They will put it together for you
    Be sure the add a spacer to reduce the travel on the donor forks (info is below in this thread)
    Put it back to gether
    Put forks back on
    Ride and smile a LOT!

The long Verion:

Thanks goes out to @dirtysouthjacket who kept good notes

I kept some pretty good detailed notes. Decided its in decent enough shape to just post here. Feel free to copy paste, whatever you want and move up to the front. I'd like to get my pics organized and post them as well.

Shiver 45mm Fork Conversion Info
    This is for 2009-2012 F800GS Bikes, 2013 and newer went to a different fork

Steps

0. Thoroughly read the thread, and the Marzocchi Fork manual (it was VERY informative)
    1. Purchase Donor Forks
    List of Donor Forks is on page
    List of Matching BIkes, Page 9 of Thread, Post #
    2. Contact Machine Shop
    3. Contact Suspension Shop
    4. Access to Special Tools
    19mm wrenches x2
    Fork Seal Driver
    ¾” Allen Key helps to take the wheel off
    E14 Inside Torx Wrench for Caliper Bolts
    5. Purchase Parts
    Fork Oil (Most use 10w to start)
    Fork Seal Driver (1 ½” PVC Coupling Tube)
    Fork Seals (Not necessary, but a good idea) Moose Racing 45MM [0407-0104] ($29)

Cartridge Spacer (Depending on Donor Stroke)
    Spring Spacer (Depending on Spring Length, desired preload, possible to make)

Bushings, If needed
    Springs, Dependant on rider weight
    6. Take Initial Sag Measurements of suspension on the F800GS
    Link to how to do sag measurements
    7. Take Measurements of Assembled Donor Forks
    8. Take Donor Forks Apart
    Procedure Link
    Loosen bottom compression adjuster first, 21mm socket (Need to supply pressure downward on spring to prevent cartridge from turning inside)
    Then loosen top cap, 19mm wrench
    Drain oil
    Pump fork and cartridge to continue getting oil out
    Remove bottom compression adjuster (21 mm socket, press down on the spring as you loosen, otherwise the cartridge will just spin as you turn the adjuster)
    Remove Cartridge
    Remove Top Cap from Cartridge (19 mm and 19mm, force the 19 mm between spring coils, a thin Pittsburg wrench from Harbor Freight works, my Craftsman was too wide to fit between springs easily)
    Stop here if you are not going to change your dust and oil seal

Pull the dust seal down with a small flathead screwdriver
    Remove snap ring
    Remove Fork Slider from fork stanchion by pulling hard and popping like a slide hammer if necessary
    Carefully remove the seals and bushings
    Put oil on new seals
    Place tape on top of stanchion
    Slide on dust seal, oil seal, washer top slider bushing, and then bottom bushing
    Make sure oil seal is oriented correctly (double seal lips should be towards the top)
    Place lower stanchion in top slider, slide top bushing and washer up into slider, use seal driver to push top bushing into slider
    Use seal to push oil seal up into slider
    Install seal ring
    Put silicone grease in top of dust seal, push up into slider

9. Take Measurements of Fork Components for determing Stroke Length
    My measurements
    Spring Thickness (Stock X, Husky WR125 X, Aprilia X)
    Spring Length BMW 476.25, Husky WR125 438.15, Aprilia X
    Preload Spacer
    Stroke, Compare to BMW F800GS
    BMW 506mm from top caps to top ring, 238mm collapsed, 35 3/8” extended and 268 stroke
    Husky, 19 3/4 (501), 8 11/16” (220) collapsed, 36 5/8” and 280 stroke
    10. Determine If Donor Fork Components are Worn (Bushings, Seals, Damaged compression adjuster)
    11. Determine if you will use BMW, Donor, or Purchased springs based on your weight
    12. Take Forks off of F800GS
    Link to Fork Seal Replacement is good for pictures
    Clean bike first
    Jack Bike up
    Get some ziplock baggies for screws
    Remove plastic brake line covers on low fender (Forward bottom clip easiest to remove, reach behind and squeeze top ones together)
    Remove ABS (T-?)
    Remove lower fender bolts T-30
    Remove Brake Calipers, Inside Torx Wrench, hang up with a ziptie if you feel its necessary
    Loosen Left Fork Axle Pinch Bolts
    Loosen 17mm Axle Bolt
    Loosen Right Side Axle Pinch Bolts
    Push Out Axle (3/4” Allen helps here to twist the axle as you pull it out)
    Remove Wheel
    Remove Lower Fender
    REmove Right Fork Brake Line Clamp
    Loosen top triple clamp first!! (before trying to loosen the top cap on the fork)
    Loosen top cap, they won’t loosen if you don’t loosen the top clamp, only loosen the top cap to make it easier later
    Loosen bottom clamps one at a time and remove forks

13. Dissassemble Forks, same except you loosen an allen bolt for the cartridge, and you need a 13 mm and 19 mm to take the top cap off.
    14. Make sure to measure the preload spacer on the BMW and compare to stock
    Measure your springs to compare to stock
    Measure your travel length
    Measure Stock Fork Internals if you think they don’t look right

15. Take Donor Forks and Bottom Compression Adjuster, Lower F800GS fork tubes to Machine Shop
    16. Get Machined Forks back
    17a. Take forks to a supension shop or....
    17b. Assemble Forks with new components (The second time I did this, I found it easier to do on the bike)
    You can also now purchase a cartridge kit for the swap (Link/Contact)
    Place cartridge (without spring, preload spacer if needed, and top cap) in BMW fork
    Put in bottom adjuster and spring, tighten with 21mm socket while push down on spring to prevent the cartridge from turning)
    Remove spring again
    Lower fork slider until dust seal is touching top of the bottom foot
    Add around 725ml of oil
    Measure until there is a 90mm air gap from top of lower stanchion to oil level (3.54 inches) (this is the stock Marzocchi setting, BMW stock setting is 110mm I believe)
    Remove oil if necessary with a straw, or by draining
    Place BMW spacer and BMW spring in fork (this applies for me being 180 lbs, if you are heavier, you might want more preload, a stiffer spring, or heavier weight oil (or some combination of those three)
    You can your own preload spacer out of pvc if you want to go longer
    Turn out the rebound adjustment (unscrew) completely in top cap
    Put top cap on cartridge rod until it bottoms out, then use 2 19mm wrenches to tighten lock nut up against top cap
    Race slider and hand tighten top cap in slider
    Set inital adjustments at 12 clicks of rebound in, and 10 clicks of compression in (Marzochhi Manual page...)
    Release air pressure with bleed screw

18. Assemble Forks in Bike
    Blue Loctite is your friend
    Put Forks back in at desired height (there is a scribed line at the top of the slider that marks the stock location), hand tight the bottom clamps, leave the tops loose
    Make sure the left one is in the right hole, you need the ABS hole on the left side
    Tighten the top caps, (align them so they don’t look upside down or something that is going to drive you crazy every time you look at it)
    Put wheel on
    Lube axle lightly with grease
    Tighten Axle bolt to 30NM (may need a 3/4” hex to hold axle tight)(loctite)
    Tighten Axle bolts in a 1-2-1 pattern to 19 Nm T-45

Tighten fork bottom clamps (19Nm) T-45
    Tighten top fork clamps

Place Lower Fender, but don’t bolt on
    Hook up ABS sensor T27
    Route Lines
    Hook up Calipers remembering to use ABS metal bracket under caliper bolts on left side
    Tighten Caliper bolts with External Torx E14
    Put in Fender bolts T30
    Put on Fork Clamp bracket to Brake Line
    PUMP FRONT BRAKE HANDLE A FEW TIMES (Don’t want to do this on the street!)
    Check for leaks
    Take Measurements of Sag again
    Go Ride and hit every bump you can see
    Smile
    Smile a little bit more
    Swear a little bit that you waited so long to do this swap
    Ride a few times and release pressure with bleed screws
    Make Damper adjustments one to two clicks at a time
    Link to Gangplanks Suspension Adjustment Guide
    Send your forks off to a Suspension Shop, or contact Ian at Rider's Edge Suspension in BC for a revalve kit ($200)

More Info

List of Machine Shops that have done the work
    Fergon Tool, Lexington SC

List of Places to Look for Forks
    Aprilia Forum
    CafeHusky.com
    SupermotoJunkie
    Ebay (search marzocchi, husky, husqvarna, fork, front end, aprilia, rxv)
    Thumper Talk?

List of Suspension Shops in the Carolinas

Southeast Racing Suspension - James Waseman - Kings Mountain, NC - 704-739-6489

List of Parts Places
    Contact Gangplank for contact info for Marzocchi Inc if other parts are needed
    Aprilia Forum

Fork Seals SEAL KIT,FORK, 45MM [0407-0104] ($29)
    Fork Bushings
    Aprilia Fork Seal/Bushing Reconditioning Kit (from AF1) - Aprilia part no 9100858 ($42)

FAQ Section
    Sag Measurements
    Pg 2, Post #18, 19

Pic of Machining Work
    Pg2, Post #20

Chamfer for Machine Work
    Pg 2, Post #23

BMW Stock Fork Lengths
    Pg 3, Post #32

Fork Length Discussion
    Pg 3, Post #37

Gangplank Modified Fork Length Info
    Pg 3, Post #39

Oil Discussion
    Pg 3, Post #40

Gangplank Initial Ride Comments
    Pg 3, Post #41, 57

Bottoming Circuit
    Pg , Post #111

Spacer Pic for shorter length
    Page 10, Post #140

Shock Travel Comments
    Page 12, Post #169

Spring Force/Rate Comments
    Pg 13, Post #185

Spring Dimensions
    Pg. 13, Post #193, Table 4 in Marzocchi Manual, pg 91

Disassembly of Fork
    Pg 14, Post#207 (Make sure to only loosen top cap, then Compress shock and loosen the bottom foot adjuster over a bucket, oil will come out, then remove top cap, inner cartridge and spring will come out)

Oil and Seal Comments
    Post # 223

XChallenge Swap Comments
    Post # 231, 233, 253

Good Visual of Different Parts with Different length Cartridge and Spacer
    Post #250

EpicxRider Finished Fork Pic
    pg 19, Post #271

EpicxRider’s machining measurements
    pg 19, Post#272

RXV for Stock Comparison Pics
    Pg 17, Post #250

Inmates that Have Converted
    -W-
    Gangplank (since sold) (and just bought another F800GS)
    tehdutchie (since sold)
    Oso Blanco
    OlyRider
    YetiGS
    Gaspare
    Ducksbane (G650X XChallenge)
    ‘Flagger
    epicxrider
    BDevilGS
    llipo
    Baitfish
    DoWorkSon
    dirtysouthjacket
    NCD
    MAJTHUMPER

surferdude?
    ShaunJ?
    jscottyk?
    PenultimateMan?
  2. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Here is where -w- started + a few posts along the way....

3. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Next....

4. Gangplank

Oddometer:

I actually did a bit of research on this and it is possible to order directly from Marzocchi USA. They get the parts from Italy and it would cost a lot. Good thing is replacement parts are available.
  5. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    I decided to do this conversion. Thanks -W-!!!!!!

The sought after forks are a pair of Marzocchi Shiver 45's. They are used on a few different dirt bikes including the Aprilia RXV 450(confirmed) & 550(maybe?), Husky WR250, and possibly GASGASS.

I found a set off an Aprilia RXV 450 that had the stiffer springs. The Aprilia has 3 spring options. Light, reg, stiff. Info is available out there on the interwebz on this. Anyway, I put up a post on a aprilia forum and had 3 set offered to me. One from Santa Cruz and two from Europe. Seems not too hard to find.

I have my forks apart and at the machinist now. I will be posting up pics and info once I get the quoted posts moved over. Anyway, once I get the feet machined locally the revalve work will be done by Ed McCoy at McCoy's off road center in Carson City, NV. It is close to me and he is a well recommneded shop. He does a lot of pro dirt bike riders forks and seems to know his stuff. Also a Race Tech Cetner for the NV/CA so good source for parts, etc.

I had the same question as -W- above. Will ask Ed when I drop off all the parts. I am planning to reduce the travel on my "RXV Shiver'd" forks to the stock travel of 230mm. Once I talk to ed we'll see which upper tubes I choose to use. My guess is that I will stick with the stock BMW's since they are basically the same. Love to have the silver ones.... pics later.

6. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    sidetrack one likes this.
  7. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    So just to clarify there is no need to machine the top caps. They fit right in the BMW stock forks. Here is -W-'s answers to a few questions I had re: springs, etc.

8. Gangplank

Oddometer:
  9. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Here is a post by GNP77. Not sure what forks he started with but hopefully he will post up what they were since the length needed some work on that set. Or he may have opted to buy a set of RXV forks in the end.

10. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Looks like you were really excited w/ your work.:eek1

[​IMG]

Thanks for taking your time w/ this.
  11. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    More from him...
  12. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Ok, so in the end I am going to go this route. I found a set of RXV forks with the upgraded .50 springs in them for $225 shipped to me.

Here is what they looked like when I got them.
    [​IMG]

Since I got the tripples I was thinking of putting the tripples on too but in the end I realized that however cool the bling factor might be... My goal is a simple and great fix.

My F800GS feet are at the machine shop now getting worked on. It will be between $75 and $150 depending on how long it takes for them to do the work. (1 or 2 hrs of work).

Next they will go to Ed McCoy at McCoy's off road center. Revalve at his shop is $140 and he is local so I can go back for some adjustments as needed. Other option was Superplush Suspension in SF. They definitely know their stuff too and work on a lot of big displacement desert racer's bikes.

Here are the BMW parts in a box ready to go next week.
    [​IMG]
  13. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    I asked -W- a few questions about the spacer and shortening the length of the travel.

I beleive he also used a set of the RXV forks same as I am so he suggested a 40mm spacer if I wanted to keep the travel the same. From what I can find http://slorider.com/Aprilia/manuals/Specifications.pdf] online the travel of the RXV Marzzocchi Shiver forks is 298.5 mm (11.75 in). The stock BMW's are 230mm or 9 inches. So I'll be getting this info to my fork guy so he can work mine back to stock length and travel.
  14. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I started with some random Shiver 45s off eBay. Not sure of the original source. The travel is 10" which is great but the over all length is 4" shorter so some dampening rod extension are in order. -W- is shortening his rods and building stopper-spacers and I'm having to lengthen...annoying! I am still working on getting a set of RXVs to do the conversion with and simply re-assemble the random Shivers and sell them on eBay again.

I'll got a set of HyperPro "Big Tank" front springs that are intended to be used with the Touratech 20liter tank. That is my plan in the near future so I opted to install them in the first place to save the work later. I'm 225 plus gear, plus cargo so I doubt the heavy springs will be an issue.

I got my lower fork legs back with the feet opened up on Friday. $105 from the machine shop which is about what I expected. I'm trying to track down a good suspension tuner to do a re-valve. As soon as I tell someone that it's a Shiver swap and not in a factory application no one wants to touch it...again, annoying.

[​IMG]

Compression valve:
    [​IMG]

Fits like a glove:
    [​IMG]

A big thanks to -W- for his work with the Shiver swap. It makes it easier and cheaper for us followers to build things once someone else has done the trial and error!:freaky
  15. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I enjoy working in garage a little too much! :wink:
  16. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    A bit more info....

Keep in mind a set of RXV stock forks come with a .475 springs & there are two other options - a stiffer .50 spring or a softer .45.
    http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=180

The stock springs on our bike seems to be a .44 (or .46?) so I am going to try the .50 springs and see how I like it. From the research I have done the valve work is more important than the spring rate provided the springs are within proper sag settings.

I need to look up what the proper sag setting are for a bike like this. Any info is welcome (sources too please... :1drink)

I am considering putting the forks on before the revalve work so I have a reference ride on them, have the work done and feel the difference. Then make decisions from there on what is needed.
  17. Gangplank

Oddometer:
  18. big sky mt

big sky mt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [quote\]I need to look up what the proper sag setting are for a bike like this. Any info is welcome (sources too please... :1drink)[/quote]

Here is a quickie for the sag measurements.

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,1539.0.html

It's for a larger bike but should work by doing the math.
  19. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    The basics from there....

Excellent info. Thanks!!
  20. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Got the call today.... "your parts are ready." :clap

$130 bucks. They made a special aluminimu collar piece to hold them in the lathe. If anyone needs to get it done:

J-B Machine - ask for Dale
    (775) 359-9856
    1450 Greg Street
    Sparks, NV 89431-5927

Here is a pic:
    [​IMG]

and with the bottom adjuster in place:
    [​IMG]

Dropped them off at Ed McCoy - McCoy's off road. he's making the spacer to shorten the travel and revalve. Can't wait till Friday!!