Three Friends, One Direction: West on the TAT! Giddyup!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by mathewsturtevant, Apr 8, 2013.

1. mathewsturtevant

mathewsturtevant Motojournalist

Oddometer:
    Things are shaping up nicely as we prep for this once in a lifetime journey. I had the busiest year of my life writing and photographing musicians for a coffee table book, now I am ready for some saddle time.!! :ricky Travis has a new job and convinced his new employer he needed a month off straight away and Richard's job is sort of intermittent. Our plan is to load up a Uhaul May 15th drive all the way to East coast(Myrtle Beach) and sniff out as much adventure as we can find on the way to the Pacific Ocean!! I made a little introductory video as a teaser for our impending adventure. Enjoy, subscribe and laugh along with us as we get freaked out, worn out and dusty. Soon to come are prep photos and before you know it we'll be on our way.

Check out the UPDATED Video!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/syFt_fXo1sA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. mathewsturtevant

Oddometer:

I am lucky enough to have friends who can tolerate my puns and my numerous quirks(neuroses). I have traveled with both of them and they are my best chance for completing this long adventure.

Richard is on left Travis is on right. Richard's strengths are that he is even tempered, dependable, honest and much handier with a wrench than Travis or myself.
    Travis (in sunglasses) possesses an extremely dry sense of humor and had recently moved back to Texas from NYC. He was recently re-infected with motorcycle-itus from which there is no cure.
    [​IMG]

Sneak peak: also I may have a video called American Dirt if I can edit everything I shot.
    [​IMG]
  3. D-Stylz

D-Stylz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was going to watch your "teaser", but alas, the video is marked private...:huh
  4. Beagle001

Beagle001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lurk

I'm lurking.... And riding along! Can't wait to see what happens.
  5. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    lurking too!
  6. stuntheavy

stuntheavy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ironic, I'm in Houston, and my TAT start is May 15th also. See.you guys out there!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk:ear
  8. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    TAT report......heck yes, i'm in! :freaky
  9. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have TAT in my near future so I'll be watching.
  10. HondaBob

HondaBob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in! Planning on doing the TAT next year so trying to learn all I can before hand.
  11. jimbowie

jimbowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any time a bunch of crazy Texans are out on a big adventure, I am in. Good luck guys. Have fun.
  12. Longbow

Longbow Vroooom

Oddometer:
    :lurk yep, I'm in. The TAT has been my dream ride for a long time. I am looking forward to this.
  13. mathewsturtevant

Oddometer:
    This was simple for me. I had a DR650 that I loved, but I needed a slightly more nimble steed with a better suspension indeed. The DRZ was made for the this trip. I took mine out to New Mexico and Colorado last year, didn't miss a beat.

[​IMG]
  14. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool vid...I'm in
  15. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    ...been waiting for some TAT stuff, come on....:clap
  16. mathewsturtevant

Oddometer:
    The last year of my life was spent working very hard on a book that I published about the music scene here in Austin. It did very well, selling in 12 countries and has enjoyed a very warm reception.
    This trip is my chance to follow another passion, exhale, enjoy some down time in the saddle, laugh with friends, and see some beautiful remote areas of this country of ours. Also, I will get to spend some of my attention with my inner dialogue.
    My therapist believes I am agoraphobic. The description from WEBMD reads as follows: Symptoms of agoraphobia include anxiety and subsequent avoidance of being in a situation in which one will have a panic attack, when in a situation from which escape is not possible, or is difficult.
    When I read this a couple years back I was relieved. At least there was a name for all the crazy shit going on in my head. I used to live a less than healthy lifestyle and I thought it was just payback time and I was going to lose my mind. Most of the time I am not panicky. The situations which now bother me which never used to, are ones where I have no control or where I can't extract myself quickly. Airplanes, for now, are way too freaky. I couldn't care less about turburlences; it's just being stuck on that thing that scares me. Waiting on tarmac for an hour would be my undoing.
    Statistically, motorcycles are infinitely more dangerous but the critical difference is the perception of some degree of control, whereas on a plane I am totally surrendered. What this has allowed me to do is slowly stretch out of my comfort zone in a way that I can really seem to grow from. Motorcycle travel forces me into the current moment in a way that I hadn't previously known. Yes, I still freak myself out about all kinds of future events that could maybe just maybe happen, but I am working on it.
    This is my once-and-for-all hang it all out there for a month and JUST DEAL WITH IT opportunity.
    My ride report "Hypothermia or Bust" spoke a lot about my strange inner workings and many of you really related.
    So, if you are up for traversing the darkest, scariest topography of my tattered cerebellum, read on. If you are more the type who is manly man, leather chaps, no helmet, grunting about your 600-mile a-day-trip to Sturgis, you'll probably get bored of my sensitivity. I'm just grateful we have a community who are willing share what all this adventure means to them.
    Below was my first taste of the real mountain trails:
    [​IMG]
  17. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great vid...subscribed.:D

May be following in your tracks a little later..
  18. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:
    x2 :stupid

I'm shooting for August

NOTE: I don't think you are stupid :lol3
  19. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My friends might tell you there is always time to reconsider...:lol3
  20. WJW

WJW Adventurer