New bikes, check your bashplate nuts!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by rumblefish, Apr 4, 2011.

1. rumblefish

rumblefish xxx

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I was cleaning my F800GS with a jet hose and realised that the stock plastic bashplate was hanging a little low. On closer inspection I discovered that three of the nuts that were supposed to hold it in place were missing and only one was left, half undone. I guess the others must have shaken loose with normal use, since the bike is only 6 months old and hasn't been offroad yet.

If you haven't had your bike too long and still have the stock plate, you might want to check it underneath, just in case.
  2. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    Don't stop at the bash plate! Go over the ENTIRE bike.
  3. puckinet

puckinet Safety third

Oddometer:
    The bike was talking to you, telling you it wanted a real bash plate.:D
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    If they are torqued correctly, they don't fall off. Mine were on for 20,000km. Unfortunately, at my last service, my dealer did not torque them correctly and 3 fell off at the 4th was loose. And guess what, you can't buy just those flanged nuts, you have to buy the whole setup with the rubber mounts.

Flanged nuts are #8 x 1.25

I went to Lowe's, they had #10 x 1.50 :baldy

Sure, I can find #8 by mail order, but you end up spending $10 or $15 shipping for less than $1's worth of nuts.
  5. Oddward

Oddward Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue a few months back. I called my dealership and they mailed the replacement nuts for free.
  6. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    Hey GB (and everybody),

Try Fastenal: www.fastenal.com

They have locations everywhere! They also have a lot of metric stuff available.

There are usually better places than hardware stores to get metric nuts and bolts etc. That's just one example that I use because they do have locations everywhere but there are more.

Dave
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    These guy`s are very reasonable.... I buy a lot from them...... Not sure about freight into Canada though.......
    http://www.boltdepot.com/product.aspx?cc=15&cs=148&cm=19

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  8. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thank you. There's a store not far from me, I will have to pay them a visit. Brofascoe also sells fasteners but there's a $20 minimum when you're in the store. :rolleyes