BMW Rider's Apparel - Warranty?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by seh750, Dec 9, 2002.

1. seh750

seh750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was trying to find information about BMW Rider's Apparel warranty, but couldn't find anything on the website. Anybody happen to know what the terms are?

Thanks!
  2. Dutchman

Dutchman Diskussionsleiter

Oddometer:
    Here in Europe all BMW rider wear is warranted for 12 months fom date of purchase.....

I've got Streetguard trousers & Tourguard jacket, both about six months old.

Left sleeve'cuff zip stitching came adrift.....jacket replaced immediately.

I've had BMW gear for about 12 years now, and have had very few problems, but when I have the dealer just replaces with new......
  3. stevebmw

stevebmw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the U.S., the apparel comes under the general parts warranty. They are covered for defects for one year from date of purchase (with unlimited mileage, which is nice for the bike parts). If a problem develops, we (I'm the motorcycle sales manager at Morton's BMW in Virginia) send the garment to a repair facility, and they make the repair/replace call. If it's a repair, they fix it quickly and send it back to us; if it's a replace, we give the customer a new piece.
  4. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    I had a zipper pull come off my Savannah jacket and called them up. They sent me another coat and told me they did not repair many. So they sent me another jacket. Of course I had to pay for the second jacket until I sent the first one back and then they credited my card. I got the new coat the next day via UPS. I was very pleased with the service.
  5. Thaddeus

Thaddeus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Savanna pants had an unusual thread problem--a bad batch I guess, but there were numerous seams coming open after 6 months. The dealer replaced them, no problems. No bad thread on the replacments either!
  6. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    the zipper on the back of my Savanna pants that's used for connecting the jacket was faulty, and has become unusable after just a couple of months use. (this is my second pair; the first pair was fine.)

having bought mine through the online site, i tried contacting them only to find out that they want me to send them to someplace in the Pac NW to let them try to do a repair, and i'm supposed to just wait for them to come back. :mad:

considering that i'm not eager to be without them (especially during this season), i wasn't really pleased with that response and haven't dealt with it yet. i'll probably need to keep pressing to find the person who will get me a better response...

K12RSSteve; do you remember who you dealt with?

cheers!
    e
  7. billcat

billcat z

Oddometer:
    My BMW Ranger boots had a sole fall off 11 month and 10 days after purchase.

Took em to Foothills BMW and they fixed it lickety split, even though I bought them at CalBMW.

I was very impressed, if your BMW gear breaks down inside a year they will stand by it.

Case in point my bmw tank bag also gave out, it probably was user error also, but Foothills said wtf, took it in and gave me a brand new one (though he did say that I could not take it back again)

Foothills BMW kicks ass!
  8. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    I ordered mine on line from the BMW marketer. Can't remember the name, but I did it through the link on the BMW Site and dealt with them directly when I had a problem.
  9. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the quick response! i already tried that, but i'll try again,...

cheers!
    e

10. Bails

Bails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a street Guard 2 Jacket and the front Zipper has worn out. The metal flanges on the zipper just open up and does not secure the two zipper rails together. I had a feeling that the zippers had a lifetime warranty, but hey what does lifetime warranty mean? The jacket is about 7 years old , but still serviceable , should I take to BMW or can I have a Zipper replaced and the jacket retain its water resistant properties ?
  11. seh750

seh750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it's out of warranty, I had good luck with Rainy Pass repair: http://www.rainypass.com/

Had them put a beefier main zipper in my well-loved Rallye Pro 2 jacket years ago and it's holding strong. I had the same problem with the original zipper where it would pull apart.
  12. Bails

Bails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks that is a fair way from Ozstralia !
  13. seh750

seh750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Reading fail...sorry about that.
  14. Tin Bender

Tin Bender Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Steve,

Does this apply to a total catastrophic failure of the insulating material in the PCM (Phase Change) liner. See my experience here on ADV under subject of Phase Change liners.

Wore this approx. 20-30% of riding the year of purchase. Worked quite well for the short period of use but within 12-14 months of purchase found the modded paraffin material delaminating, collecting at the bottom of the jacket in big clumps. Without the PCM material barrier this no longer insulated, held any heat and no longer windproof. Totally ineffective, no longer works.

Returned to dealer with receipt but offered NO resolution other than a 10% discount on replacement. A letter to BMW NA explaining problem resulted in nothing other "See dealer" reply.

VERY, VERY disappointing. An obvious catastrophic failure of material rendering a very expensive item unusable.

Even more disappointing is BMW corporate and the dealer total apathy.