train El Fuerte to Creel

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ctoc123, Jan 17, 2008.

1. ctoc123

ctoc123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quick question. Can we put motorbikes on the train from El Fuerte to Creel (through Copper Canyon)? Is there a place to put bikes, do we need our own tie downs, can we hit the bar car during the trip and leave bikes in rail car?
  2. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    I pretty sure you can not. Supposedly you can load in Los Mochis or wherever the end of the line is, and then you need to find help unloading in Creel cuz there no ramps there. I researched and decided it would be WAY better to just ride to Creel from the coast through the canyons.
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
  4. Genghis Swan

Genghis Swan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with Ince. From experience I can tell you that that train is unreliable and unorganized. Just ride your bike and save yourself a huge amount of frustration.
  5. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :norton I totaly agree with you, it is to EXPENSIVE and not safe for the bikes !, better to ride in case you don´t want to ride the dirt roads, take: Mochis--Obregón--San Nicolás--Yécora--Basaseachi--either San Juanito ( it is being at this moment paved ) or Tomochi--San Pedro--San Juanito--Creel.

The whole paved route has awesome views.
    Will take 2 days of ride: place to spend the night ( 1 night before getting to Creel ) at YECORA.:freaky
  6. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    And where Baby Jesus holds his annual Sport Bike Challenge Rally. :D
  7. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer

Oddometer:
    I would definitely choose to ride the bike, but there must be some rampage for all the motor homes that ride the flat bed rail cars. Lots of extra space on those cars, certainly enough to hold a couple of mc's.
  8. ctoc123

ctoc123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers, I think we will opt out of thos one. :D
  9. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Cheewahwah and Los Mochis
  10. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    I did some research on this, a while back. It is in Outer Darkness 12-21-06..."Chihuahua al Pacifico info needed."

I am finally on my way, next month. Currently, my plan is to go south thru Baja, take the ferry from LaPaz to Topolobampo, ride to El Fuerta the take the train to Divisidero or Creel. Back to El Fuerta the next day. Ride to Mazatlan, Durango, north to New Mexico or Texas. All plans may vary on a whim.

Loading and unloading the bike appeared to be a real hassle. It may be possible to catch the A train east to Divisidero, in the AM. Change to the B train West, in Divisdero, and back to El Fuerta, the same day.

It appears that the El Chepe A-train leaves Los Mochis and/or Chihuahua about 6 am, with the B-trains an hour behind. The B is slower (more stops) and cheaper. This makes for a two hour plus overlap at Divisidero. Or I'll continue to Creel and do an overnight.

As said above, apparently, no loading ramps or docks. I have a heavy bike, TA, and just decided to ride the rail, back and forth.

If you decide to wrestle your bike onboard, it was suggested to take some wire, to tie the bike to the side of the railcar. The slats are too small for hooks or rope.

Apparently there is tunnel where you enter one direction and come out the opposite. 180 degree turn inside a mountain.

Good Luck, and if you do it before I leave, report back here, please and thank you.

11. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:

:rofl:rofl

16 is now my all time favorite hwy.