Who else lives with the Black Dog?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Jun 24, 2009.

1. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
    Because I don't know where else to put this, so apologies.

Time to fess up, because maybe, just maybe we can all help someone who frequents this forum.

Who here lives with the Black Dog? The Darkness.

Depression. If you've never had medically diagnosed depression it can't be explained how debilitating this thing is. Like being a parent perhaps? When you aren't you can't be told and when you are you can't tell.

I'm one lucky lucky bastard. I have the support network that has dragged me out of the pit and I think finally I may have a leash on the mongrel. A while ago I tried to top myself and luckily someone called the ambulance and I was able to find the correct people who can help.

So I'm thinking while riding recently it's time to pay it forward.

I'm thinking of a few things, some awareness raising through some stupid act of motorcycling, establishing a network of 'blokes on bikes' or similar but generally establishing a network of peers so that quietly we can step in and help. That sort of thing.

Big ride on Postie bikes or Ag bikes or something. I would really value input on this one.

One more bloke going Postal is too many.

Over to you blokes. :D
    drp, casf and SFCootz like this.
  2. Happy Finger's

Happy Finger's Banned

Oddometer:
    theres a very extensive thread on Depression over in Jo Momma

not saying you should go there
    just saying in case you want to check it out :beer

If i did live with the black dog
    me personally would never admit it
    because every dog is different yeh !

Cheers
  3. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    I have a couple of really close friends who suffer from the dog. Neither of them ride though.

I'm in for whatever, good on ya mate
  4. OldOzy

OldOzy Banned

Oddometer:
    Good on ya for getting through it, ive only ever had to contend with a little one occasionaly nipping my heels.

Any help you need on the web organising/promoting give me a call.
    Jock.
  5. Fatguts McCantRide

Fatguts McCantRide On a diet and learning

Oddometer:
    Count me in for whatever.

My dad copped it hard for a couple of years. Thankfully he got the help he needed, and the medication truly did help. We haven't talked about it recently but I know he's a hell of a lot happier and in a better mindset, and I don't think he's needed the medication for quite a while.

It's kind of scary finding out that the person you see at the strongest pillar in your life is as fragile as anyone.

Without trying to sound too cliched it was actually the lyrics to a song by an Aussie MC that goes by the name of Urthboy who helped me make sense of it all. The song not surprisingly is called Black Dog (link http://tinyurl.com/nho6o8)

Sometimes I can see how easy it would be to go over that mental edge. When you're in the red, and things are falling down around you it's hard to keep pushing on.
  6. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume

Oddometer:
    Just posted this in the sponsorship thread!
  7. Fatguts McCantRide

Fatguts McCantRide On a diet and learning

Oddometer:
    Just a thought. In my line of work I write up quite a large number of propositions for sponsorship of various events. Without trying to yank my own chain, I am fairly adept at slinging words together. I'd be happy to write up any sponsorship props.
  8. Matt

Matt Dirt Virgin

Oddometer:
    What a great idea, I'm in (in some capacity).

I've been lucky enough to keep the dogs behind the fences, but had a debilitating anxiety period last year exaserbated by many things. I could always see my way out of the situation but it seemed like a long way to get there.

The stats on suicide in Australia, especially involving men make for sobering reading.
  9. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    I live with the bastard everyday. Bikes, travel & kids are the only things that get me out of the house.

Yeah, I'd like to be in something.

Here are the rides (or even drives) I'd like to be able to do, at some time during my life

'4 Corners'.
    Tweed Heads, Cameron Corner, Border Cliffs, Cape Howe (includes an overnight hike)

'Ride the Ridge' - Great Dividing Range

'5 Border Junctions' - around SA. Border Cliffs, Cameron Corner, Haddon Corner, Poeppel Corner, Surveyor General's Corner - permits required.

Ride Len Beadell's highways.

Cape Byron to Steep Point,

Cockle Creek to Cape York.

A fair dinkum lap, not just along the highway.
  10. roswellj

roswellj ARGHventurer

Oddometer:
    I suffered from depression for a very long time before it was diagnosed. It was the worst thing I have ever experienced and the extremely debilitating. My current girlfriend has also suffered from it in the past as well. I applaud anyone who is willing to share something like this after they are over it. I don't understand why men still beleive that by admitting it they are somehow lesser men.
    I'm up for whatever you plan. It would be good to raise awareness and let people know that it is ok to talk to people and get help.
  11. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    i was depressed for a short while, years back when i had a massive business partnership dispute. the stressors of life can sometimes get the better of you.

(now my teen son is driving me crazy :lol3)

count me in IN. if i can help ...
  12. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    I am also a sufferer , only mildly compared to some , but there are periods of my life when it has controlled my behavior and decisions .

I would welcome the opportunity to help bring about some event or events to keep this very common issue at the front of the minds of the general population .

Do we do something that seems silly ( but is actually fun ) to attract attention ?

Andrew Johns walked from Newcastle to Sydney over a few days about 12 months ago to raise awareness of the Dog , perhaps a high profile person could attract attention with our aims as well , World wide attention could be gained if the right celebrity were to be brought on board . I Wonder if Charley and Co wants to turn us into a TV show :lol3 .

Alan
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  13. Colonial Mick

Colonial Mick FEMINISM KILLED CHIVALRY

Oddometer:
    Upper Cumbucter West. Armidale/Kempsey Rd.

What a great idea Fatboy.Well done too for coming out and telling everyone thats a massive acheivement:clap I have a mate who has it bad and I do my best to help but I feel like I am swimming with an anchor around my neck each time I visit.Seems very hard not to let the black dog bite me too and its very draining.
    Count me in :D
  14. roswellj

roswellj ARGHventurer

Oddometer:
    Thought I would add this in case anyone was reading this thread and thought they may have depression and didn't want to speak up, hope it's ok and not considered threadjacking.
    http://www.beyondblue.org.au/
    It's a good site and has numbers you can call for help completely annomously.
  15. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

Me :(:
  16. Jason Hutchins

Jason Hutchins Monarch 71

Oddometer:
    Yep great thread Fatboy. And good on everyone who has the courage to admit it publicly.

And as Mick has pointed out it is very difficult - make that extremely, for your loved ones, it's hard to understand, hard to stay positive and not get sucked down that slippery slope yourself. So those of you whose partners have stuck around, go and say thanks again.

I would also be up for any ride or fundraising effort. What about this summer visiting as many huts in the high country as possible, or linking something with the OCR (not to hijack their RFDS fundraising though).
  17. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
    Speechless.

No smart arse, no sarcasm. Just open support. I'm humbled and more than a little emotional.

Thankyou. I've typed this sentence 4 times now because I just can't express how bloody grateful I am.

Keep sharing the very very personal stories.

This has motivated me like nothing else I have ever experienced. Lets keep coming up with the ideas. Something BIG. Something silly but fun? June next year? That'll give us 12 months to organise it and get the Media on board???

And in the mean time we'll start developing the network. So blokes who know the dog and blokes who just plain wanna help will be available?? With a motorcycle based theme. Why? Because I can't honestly remember when I met a long term motorcyclist who was a true dickhead. Plus it's what I know.:D

That Beyond Blue website is a great place. They seem to encourage initiatives like this. Seems I have some work to do. Happily.

Over to you blokes.

Oh... Is this too 'Wanky'?

Black Dog
    Because one more bloke going postal is too many.
    pops likes this.
  18. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    you're right, mate. people are embarrased to admit their problems, especially we blokes. i know i am.

i encourage you to get to know inmates in person. some make good mates to share with.

i can send you my long list of whom to avoid .... i'm at the top of it! :lol3
  19. roswellj

roswellj ARGHventurer

Oddometer:
    Just throwing an idea out there. If you do something to do with raising money for depression on bikes I think it should target men, women are traditionally more open about things like depression and working in health care it can be a puzzle to get men to even say where it hurts let alone how they are feeling.
    An idea I just had is something like a relay around australia with something of significance for depression but the relay conducted on bikes.
    As I said just an idea I came up with then. The reason I suggest this is because there are men all over the country who have suffered from this. If you could do a relay all round the country then every major regional town you could contact their local health organisation in advance and get them to plan sausage sizzles etc to raise extra money for depression. Get it to conincide for when the relay arrives there. I know my regional centre doesn't have much news every day and would probably plaster an event like this all over the paper so I would assume lots of others would too.

As I said just an idea
  20. Colonial Mick

Colonial Mick FEMINISM KILLED CHIVALRY

Oddometer:
    Upper Cumbucter West. Armidale/Kempsey Rd.

No mate not at all...........When you get something up and running maybe the mods might set it up like the Cancer Council thread?