A noob goes racing

Discussion in 'Racing' started by eatpasta, Jan 15, 2010.

1. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone want to watch me get my ass handed to me??

:lol3

Good! Then read on.

My grandfather was a professional race car driver in the 40's, and he was quite good. He always used to tell stories about how they didnt have seatbelts and how he won this race or that.
    My dad wasn't really into any of that kind of stuff and therefore I never got into it, but ever since I was a little kid I have always day dreamed about racing. Ever since grade school my folks would take me up to Laguna Seca to see the Historical Races and I loved it. Somehow sailing through those corners in a GT-350 seemed so possible.

:dunno

Anyways, after years of day dreaming it looks like its going to happen here next weekend. A total race n00b is going out for the first time on an Enduro and in an attempt to actually finish, Im going to be following another ADV rider.
    This guy has been nice enough to hold my hand through all this so far and let me crash with his team.....a great example of the ADV spirit!

:thumb

My wife and I currently belong to a weight loss program and what a goal to get in shape for; desert racing!

So here's is brakedown:

The Rider:

6'2 - 220 lbs - 31 years old

Riding experience:

15 years, 90% street. The last three years have been an attempt to get comfortable in the dirt via this board. I have been able to take a GS places most cant...is that JUST because of my weight.... :scratch

The Race Bike:

2000 Honda XR650R

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

purchased from Rider914 a few years ago with the intention of not whaling on the GS off road anymore and actually learning how to ride in the dirt.

I kinda wish I had a GoPro to document the first outing.... that would be classic!

:ricky

anyways - I keep up with the posting so you guys can see what happens to me....

oh yea...

Goals:

1) to not get hurt
    2) to finish

thats pretty much good enough for me
  2. AngryShawn

AngryShawn Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer:
    Enduro on a BRP? you are definitely jumping into the deep end of the pool :D
    What organization are you going racing with? Since you said enduro and your in southern cal, I'm figuring its d-37. You may also want to check out US Desert Racing aka USDR as well (www.usdesertracing.com)
    Good luck and have fun, looking forward to updates :thumb
  3. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good on you. What's the name of the enduro and where is it?
  4. 5th-Elefant

5th-Elefant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Race that? :huh

You should really think about getting an enduro bike.
  5. rajflyboy

rajflyboy Banned

Oddometer:
    EatPast >>> Good on you man for setting a goal like this!! Best of luck to you!!

The Honda is a fine bike for this. Don't need no stinkin "Meals on Wheels" BMW or KTM for an enduro!!
  6. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    Hungry Man -

Though not known for it's agility, the XR-R will get you through your first event and as many as you choose. Be warned, once you're bitten by the bug you'll probably start looking for a more capable enduro machine.

Have fun! Good luck! Keep us posted.
  7. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck! I think you'll have more fun if you reorder your goals to:

1) to finish
    2) to not get hurt

for me, thinking about getting hurt is a guaranteed crash! And yes, especially at your size the BRP will be just fine. It's not about the bike, it's about the rider.

Back to the Speed Triple voltage regulator :cry...
  8. Pantah

Oddometer:
    Good advice about the order. :D

GO BRP!
  9. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    Yeah its D37 - and sadly I dont even know what BRP stands for...

as far as the bike is concerned - for my size and weight its about as small as Im going to be able to go for a street legal bike. At under 300 pounds for me, its light. At 220 Im decent at throwing this thing around.... any smaller it might just snap in half

Im so used to having the GS off road, anything under 500 pounds to me is a freakin feather.

yes, its not ideal for this type of stuff - but i have no more space for any more bikes in the garage.... this IS my dirtbike! someday when I have more space and time I can have a race bike.... maybe two.

so yes, please keep posted!
  10. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. eatpasta

Oddometer:
  12. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not saying it is or isn't, I don't actually know?

I've never ridden one -- but i've seen it refered to that elsewhere more than a few times

I've ridden a CR 500 many years ago and liked it although it got a bit shakey around 100mph though (could've been me shakin too)

What bike # will you be
  13. eatpasta

Oddometer:

a billion

14. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your gonna need some Lo,ooo,ooo,ooo nger number plates then:poser
  15. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I think you should change your priorities just a bit more.....

1. have fun
    2. don't crash (I'll explain)
    3. finish
    4. don't get hurt.

#2 is important, as it will help to ensure #1 and #4. Also, crashing, even low speed crashing is EXHAUSTING. Think about it. Every time you crash, you have to pick up the motorcycle and you might even have to start it.

You need an idea of what why??????

Run around the block, once or twice. When you get to your driveway, pick up your bike (you laid it on the ground before you took off) and start kicking. All that exhaustion that you're feeling, you can avoid all that by not crashing.

And of course, the mantra for old-guy racing is, "faster is slower."

Save the high-speed antics for bench racing around the campfire or in the pits, that's where us older racers are the fastest.

Tom B
  16. eatpasta

Oddometer:

noted!

hopefully by then Ill be in decent shape.... NOT good enough shape but im headed there. Im not planning on crashing, but who ever is??

and luckily the XR starts very easily when its hot!

17. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Er, yeah. But aftre crashing ??? I know my XR400 R was a PAAAIIIIIIINN to start after dropping it. I'd lay that thing down on the left (and right) and see just how hard it is to start hot. You may get a surprise.

And the slow is fast mantra is true. I was in a harescramble and there was some kid clearly faster than me, but he kept crashing. He passed me and I passed him back when he was on the ground, probably literally 10 times in a 2 hr race. He was DYING. I was running the pace I was capable of and fresh. Believe I stopped to pee and still beat him.

Trust me, when you get tired, that's when you get hurt. Pick a pace you can run and know you are running the clock. Nobody else. You can go only as fast as you can go, regardless of whoever else may be racing you, and how fast or slow they are.

Barry
  18. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    That is the voice of experience, right there.

My 250exc would start with 1/2 a kick warm. Until you crash. Then it might take 3 or 4 to clear things out and get it to fire.

Then there is the whole kicking thing. You do not know what tired is until you pick up your bike for the umpteenth time and then, while fighting leg cramps, try to bend you leg up to the lever to kick it over.

When it doesn't start on the 1st boot, you might be fighting off tears.

Don't forget to bring plenty of bananas. Eat one right before the start, another at gas and another at the finish. Do not drink Coke or Pepsi, the caffeine will make you pee and give you leg cramps on the way home.

Tom B
  19. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    noted and noted!

I have to be careful with banana's -- they give me nasty headaches.... but yes I try to be pretty healthy.
  20. Pantah

Oddometer:
    Ha!

My dad used to make me eat a banana before every moto. That was decades ago. I try and get my youngest racer son to eat banana's too, but he scoffs at the notion.