2nd Gen. Ducati Multistrada (2013 and newer)

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Salvo, Sep 22, 2012.

1. mesopotamia

mesopotamia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried my buddy's 2011 Multi S. Loved it. So now I'm shopping for a 2013. But here is the thing:

1- Expensive!
    2- I'm not to confident about all that electronics (my friend had is load of problems with his 2011 suspension).

I'm now wondering if buying a 2013 Multi std (non S) is worth it, or if you really need to get the electronic supension on that bike to get the most out of it? Any std 2013 owners that can share their experience?
  2. duckman44

duckman44 Living the dream!

Oddometer:
    The topping out of the forks happens on my 2013 GT also.
    I can make it less severe by bumping up the rebound damping but still clunks on top.
    The dealer says he has heard this from others and Ducati tells him there is no issue.
    Maybe we are making too much of this? I do not like it.
  3. Flightar

Flightar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The rear brake on my 13 is "feels" weak compared to the rear brake on my last bike. (VFR 800 ABS) But that said, it's really a non issue because it still does its job, just feels different doing it. I've never had a problem with the rear brake on my MTS. In the mountains during my last ride, I never once thought any aspect of the brakes were lacking.

I've had zero problems with my bike so far, and as someone on here said before, they don't explode when they get wet.
  4. vellies

vellies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a Standard 2013 just under 3 months ago. I commute daily, and have done just over 5,000km on it. The standard suspension is fantastic, and while I am sure the Skyhook may be better, the standard is bloody fantastic as far as I am concerned. I also prefer the simplicity, but reality is price was the deciding factor for me, in AUS the electronic suspension model is around $6k more, and that was more than what I was willing to pay. As a whole, the 2013 is a fantastic bike, with none of the low rpm issues of earlier models, mine happily pulls from 2500rpm. I just fitted the carbon fibre short screen, which looks fantastic, and gets rid of the wind noise. This is now my perfect bike. I LOVE IT :clap:clap:clap
  5. vellies

vellies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, I ride mine rain or shine, and wash it regularly, and no issues so far.
  6. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    must avoid dealership, one test ride and it would be all over for me, the bad fueling was my only complaint with the 2011 i rode
  7. DropinParts

DropinParts Scrambler

Oddometer:
    I just traded my '13 Triumph Tiger 800XC for a new '13 Multistrada base model.
    Got the free bags from Ducati as well. Put 135 miles on it today on some of the best twisties in Western North Carolina.
    I've got to be the happiest motorcyclist on the planet. :D
  8. DropinParts

DropinParts Scrambler

Oddometer:
    Ok... I've got my dream bike and I want to turn up the volume just a bit.
    Any suggestions on an aftermarket slip-on that's not real loud?
    Not looking for performance... Just some bass. :ear
  9. Willie B

Willie B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just installed the new Ohlins SCU unit and Tuneboy's latest software which came with cruise control. I'm really impressed with the new SCU module and the Tuneboy software is spot-on.
  10. Willie B

Willie B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  11. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No one answer but people do seem to have their faves. Don't pay any attention to YouTube vids; they don't and can't ever convey the real sound of a system by the time they go from the (typical) camera's mic and processor through the poster's computer, pass through YT's companders and processing and back out through your computer again. The biggest difference (most people will tell you) comes from removing the cat. Then the thing gets loud as most of the noise is trapped in it.

I'm a guy who prefers a quiet rig for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that we've seen over and over again that the stock system is actually pretty efficient in respect to making power.
  12. morrismrinak

morrismrinak n00b

Oddometer:
    I second PAMPERO on the aftermarket cans. Unless you drop the cat (like I did) it's a waste of $$ even if all you are looking for is just a slightly throater sound with only a few more db's. I like the bone stock exhaust just fine as I think it sounds kinda rasty & scratchy. Just happen to like a little more tone to my ride. If you're curious just pull the stock can & fire it up for a listen then think "slightly" more mellow when adding another can. It's always cheaper to leave it stock.
  13. Pampero

Oddometer:
    I'm pleased to be agreed with as I got creamed on the Ducati Scrambler thread. :wink::lol3

The thing (for me) about the MST is that it is in so many ways Ducati's most sensible shoes high end bike. People still can't resist spending "Ducati" money on it though and making it into something else. I don't claim to be immune at all from this foible, but I do have personal limits. But then again, everyone is different and if it makes somebody happy to do an exhaust, they should do it. For me they are spoilers most of the time and I have seen with my own eyes (and through my own experience) that you can spend a lot of money only to end up going slower.
  14. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:

I'm with you on this and luckily the multi has a decent looking stock exhaust that is of reasonable size. For the price of the termi though, what's with that blue logo decal? It either looks like a crazy face sticking their tonque out or a set of male genitals. For that money can't they provide a nice looking laser etched logo? I wouldn't get it anyhow, for the previously discussed reasons.
  15. deWog

deWog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with all that's been said on exhausts. The stock unit does the job fine and sounds reasonable without being deafening.

My only issue is weight: that "colostomy bag" with the catalytic converter weighs a ton.......anyone know of a lighter solution that doesn't involve swapping to a full system?
  16. danner21

danner21 Nozzlejockey

Oddometer:
    I was all set to buy a 2013 standard multistrada but got worried about the reliability. The FJR looked reliable but the suspension is old tech. SO how many miles until I have to worry? What has your reliability experience been? I just sold a 2008 v-strom with 30k.
    Thanks
  17. Pampero

Oddometer:
    This bike has been around for four years so high milers are usually in the 50K range. There are good number of bikes running around with 30 to 40K on the clock with very little by way of issues being reported. My 2012 only has 5K on it so that's not much but I have had zero show stoppers. Most guys with 20 or more miles report the same.

You might want to wander over to one of the dedicated Multistrada forums to ask or research this question, and the bikes have not been without issues, but overwhelmingly, these machines seem to be holding up and Ducati has been good at dealing with those problems that have cropped up.

Try this forum.
    Poke around and do a search, because your question is common: "How can a Ducati possibly do high miles?" This one looks like it will.
  18. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    not super high miles, but my 2010 has 32000 miles on it an no engine related issues. oil changed at 600, 3500, 7500, 15000, 22500, 30000 - burns no oil, or has it ever. Valves in spec at 15000, adjusted at 30000. not engine related, but changed the chain and sprockets at 28000. I suspect the engine is good for 100k. I'd ride mine anywhere. Its a keeper.
  19. Pampero

Oddometer:
    One of the most gratifying differences between my Multi and my last GS is that I no longer bother to reserve space for oil on long trips. The Multi just doesn't use any measurable oil between changes. The BMW? And the answer from the dealer?
    "They all do that."
  20. rockmurf

rockmurf IBA #31100

Oddometer:
    I have an 06 fjr with 122k miles and still running great. Changed over to traxxion dynamics suspension, ak 20 forks, penske shock at 50k. Change the fjr suspension at $2300. and it still comes in under the multi with established reliability, although an entirely different bike.

Reliability, cost of ownership, and dealer network are my stumbling blocks to purchase a mts.