Clutch/shifting question

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Ladukebob, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    Couple thousand miles ago I started to notice that shifting gears was getting louder. I shrugged it off thinking I was just hearing things and it was near time to change engine oil so I didn't worry about it too much. But it didn't get any better after a recent oil change, in fact I think it's getting louder. Really noticeable shifting from neutral into first gear. I can pull in the clutch, shift into first and it clunks (cringe) while keeping the clutch engaged shift back into neutral and while still holding the clutch in shift back into first and it's smooth. It almost feels like pulling in the clutch the first time isn't slowing the transmission down enough for a smooth shift. While riding I can hear almost all my shifts. Bike has around 16,000 miles.

I have tried adjusting the clutch using the adjusting screw at the lever and while it did change where the lever engages didn't solve the clunky shifting. So I figured my next step would be to check the jet to make sure that's clean. And while I'm at it is it worth buying the CJ oversized jet?

Does this sound like a fairly common issue at around 16,000 miles?

Thanks
  2. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Try flushing the system with fresh fluid.

If flushing in place doesn't solve it, try opening the slave to clean. It tends to let moisture rest in the bottom, with conventional bleeding.

If I see you at AJ's, I'll give you a new o-ring to put in while it's apart.
  3. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    Damn, forgot to mention that I did replace the fluid last year. After 13,000 miles it looked really brown and it was something that I feel should be done every 12,000 miles.

Can't make it to AJ's this year due to other plans or I would take you up on the offer, thanks though.
  4. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    I flush mine a couple of times a year, or anytime it seems to drag.

Check your PMs.
  5. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    copy that
  6. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    So, I inspected the oil jet and used a guitar string to check to make sure it wasn't clogged it wasn't. Flushed the system with new fluid and still had the same problem. MortimerSickle sent me one of his slave O-rings so this evening I took the slave apart but I was surprised to find this-

[​IMG]

When did ktm change to this type of seal? Everything I've read suggested the seal was an O-ring. And this slave looks completely stock from the outside. The piston seems to be a little smaller because the O-ring Mort sent me is too big and fits very loosely. Not that I was going to try to make it work anyway. This green seal is squared and fit so loosely that I'm not surprised I'm having clutch issues. So I'll probably go with the Oberon and not screw around with the stock.
  7. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    I just checked the HOW, and it lists the slave as something that was changed in '08. Mine is an '07, and has the same slave as my '04 950 did.

I guess that explains the o-ring difference, but I don't know what the replacement for the new one would be.
  8. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    You will need to inspect the clutch plates and maybe change place to the deeper steel clutch disc with another one. Slave cylinder is only pushing a steel rod. If you feel the resistance, it does its job. If it goes south, then it feels soft, doesn't do its job and needs replacement.
    IMHO of course.
    Cheers.
  9. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    Installed the new Oberon slave and it has made all the difference. Clutch lever doesn't feel all the much different from the stock setup but shifting into first from neutral is much better. Still clunky but it always was to a degree. I probably could have installed a new $10 o ring in the stock slave but after taking it apart and seeing how kind of weak the design is I'm glad I spent the money on the Oberon. So maybe the stock slave was binding up a little and wasn't getting the full amount of travel. Don't know but I'm glad it's figured out and I learned a little along the way.

Btw, CJ is having a sale on them right now.