High Andes Bolivia Adventure Tour

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Shewolfnz, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Shewolfnz

Shewolfnz Heels on wheels

Oddometer:
    Heading off for 3 weeks in Bolivia and Peru with Britton Adventures. :clap

Here's a map and some of the places we'll be riding...
    [​IMG]

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YreET26sOO8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  2. poolman

poolman Gnarly Poolside Adv. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love the Andes, have a great ride and post lots of pictures!
  3. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:
  4. DKW1200

DKW1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This will be a great adventure. I rode the same roads back in January. I suggest you bring some good altitude meds from home. They're hard to find if you need them. You'll ride up to 13,300 feet between La Paz and the road of death. Also take pepper spray. It keeps the road dogs at bay. You dont want a bite on these desolate roads. I know from experience. Say hello to Sucre, my favorite city in Bolivia. You're going to have a lot of fun. Check out the attached youtube link of my ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap7bEDySl0I
  5. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    Have a good ride and stay safe :thumb
  6. Micawberism

Micawberism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go you good thing!!!

Subscribed :D
  7. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    Subscribed! I'll be in Bolivia in December or January, and will be looking for some route suggestions through your RR. Have fun!
  8. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    You're skipping the best part in southern Bolivia. :deal
  9. Llamaha

Llamaha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Worlds best dirt bike country imo =)
  10. Shewolfnz

Oddometer:
    After meeting up in Auckland with the other group members the flight was a long one, but once we left Santiago (via Iquique) the views were stunning to La Paz.

First glimpse of the Andes..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and there it is - the country we're riding through...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arriving in La Paz we spent 4 hours here before heading to Cochabamba where we pick up the bikes. I wasn't feeling too well with a combination of long flight, altitude and car sick - but thankfully the Diamox and sensible introduction to altitude (after today that is) meant for better adjustment.

La Paz

[​IMG]

Visited the main Plaza and did a spot of people watching

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the group from NZ: Scott & Alison, me, Robert, Bryan, John, Brian (Giff) and Ian

[​IMG]
  11. Martynho

Martynho No more Chilegringo.

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!

I just did a tour of the South Western corner of Bolivia, it is truly an awesome place to be and ride. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

I note you are going to the town of Uyuni (which is a bit of dump) but not going across the Salar which is west of the town? Surely a mistake on the map? If not you really need to bug your guide to take you across it to one of the islands at least, it is one of the most unforgettable experiences you can have on a motorcycle.

cheers - Martyn

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825175
  12. Shewolfnz

Oddometer:
    Back in EnZed and still reeling from the fantastic riding and scenery Bolivia served up. A ton of photos are uploading and mountains of Contour footage to come on our escapades and adventures - of which there were a few!

[​IMG]
  13. Shewolfnz

Oddometer:
    hey there, the map was a quick representation before I left - and we switched some of the La Paz/Titicaca days around but it was roughly the same.

We went a far way into the Salar but sadly didn't get to visit one of the islands..would love to spend more time here, it's simply stunning.

14. krazykiwi

krazykiwi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey SheWolf
    Was great to have you along and glad you enjoyed yourself. We sure did have some adventures!

If anyone is interested we have a brand new tour called "Salt and Che" coming up. Kick off November 26th end December 11th. We'll be following la ruta del Che "the route of Che" plus visiting the Salar de Uyuni and Lake Titicaca. If interested please PM me for more details.
  15. Shewolfnz

Oddometer:
    These will be out of whack with the trip schedule, it just depends which bit of video I'm editing at the time!

We visited a cool train graveyard before hitting the Salt Plains
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Shewolfnz

Oddometer:
    A ride out to the Salt Plains we stopped to have a quick look at the Salt Hotel but it wasn't open until the return leg...where we were also accosted by an excited mob of teenage tourists.

They were all over the men and bikes like a swarm of blow flies on sheep :D

A bit of vid...
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h6zWaBmckP8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

All photos from Uyuni...
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4GNZOAHoOZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Inside the Salt Hotel
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Shewolfnz

Oddometer:
    Here's some photos from sightseeing we did at the Santa Teresa Convent and Cristo de la Concordia
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Rvw71BUnnOc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

I loved the convent - a bit of serenity in a busy city
    [​IMG]

Heres a bit of vid of a short loop ride on the first day...
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hq9pFehMNpw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  18. Shewolfnz

Oddometer:
    It was a fast ride on the first full day - chasing the 650s up those winding passes was great fun. We blew out our fuel economy though :wink:

Heres a bit of vid and photos of the ride

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Cdy4CJPS_Fw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Staying at Hostal Colibri was one of the highlights of the trip - an unexpected haven where I could easily have stayed for days. We met up with some kiwi and aussie boys who were doing just that, it is easy to be tempted by Quime's charm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heading off from the bike lock up the next day - think this needs a tune?
    [​IMG]
  19. Shewolfnz

Oddometer:
    A bit of vid from this ride where an unexpected incident occured.
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/USYfWn6PQ9g" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

The drop offs you ride next to provide breathtaking views.

So what you don't want to see is bikes pulled over ahead looking anxiously down one!

You think the worst....
    [​IMG]

Fortunately rider and bike were ok. But here's how far the bike went from the top
    [​IMG]

The rider clipped the edge of a washout too close and lost the bike under him. He fell 2 metres but the bike was about 20m down the slope. Which at times was nearly vertical.

Phew, he's ok and bloody lucky truth be told. When you mess up here you usually don't get off lightly.

So began the exercise of bringing the bike up. The support truck duly arrived (4x4 Nissan, which later had issues of it's own but thats another story) and we fashioned a long enough rope out of some strops, tie downs and whatever else we could lay our hands on.

We were still short. The three of us ladies then did the decent thing and offered over our bras for that extra length required. Did I mention the 'muscle' of the group were either ahead already, or down the bank trying to right the bike? At the top were 3 women, an older chap, the support truck driver and an asthmatic lawyer.

We were soon surrounded by locals who happened upon the scene and avidly offered to help. So with their muscle we hauled the bike and people below to the top. I say we, but someone had to video the event right
    [​IMG]

And yes, its a Honda...of course it ran just fine afterwards.

Later, in a faaaairly accurate reconstruction by the rider he claimed to have ridden the batbike back up the sheer cliff face from which he plummeted to save a small kitten.
    [​IMG]

The Yamaha dealer from Ashburton shall remain nameless to protect his identity
    The lawyer is still taking depositions from the event.
    Bras were returned in nearly new condition. :clap
  20. Shewolfnz

Oddometer:
    A compilation of some of the faces we encountered, with a few shots from Alison and Ian as well

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f4jKRvezm3U" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>