Got a new to me 1991 Suzuki DR 250S! Now I have questions

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Plastic, May 6, 2010.

1. Plastic

Plastic 0O0O0O

Oddometer:
    Got a new to me 1991 Suzuki DR 250S! Now I have questions. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    This bike holds oil in the crank case and also in the frame, so when you change the oil you must drain both. This is embarrassing, but can someone give me some info on how to change the oil on this thing? It’s not bad draining it, but how do I put it back in, do you put different amounts in the frame compared to the crank case or what. Does anyone know what amount total I should be adding after its drained and the filter is changed.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I thought I was of somewhat average height at 5'11", but I feel the bike needs to be lowered about 1", I tried to adjust the spring height level on the rear, but it won't budge... any ideas? Can the front be lowered?<o:p></o:p>
  2. eatalotapeaches

eatalotapeaches finding my own way

Oddometer:
    On my 400 the frame feeds oil to the crank case, and on my other bike there is a label stating the oil measurement. YMMV.
  3. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    there is a drain on bottom of the engine and one on the frame behind front wheel in front of engine

get a service manuel they are very helpful
    and do not be afraid to ask a quetion or two

5'11" is a good hieght for that bike what do you weigh?
  4. turd_ferguson

turd_ferguson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On my 350, I open the drain bolt on the bottom of the motor (there's a hole through the skid plate) and the bolt toward the bottom of the front part of the frame.

Once it's drained, you can change the oil filter and put all of the bolts back in place.

To add oil, you have to add it in the same hole that the dip stick comes out of in the frame. It should take two quarts if it's the same as the 350, but you might want to double check before doing anything. After the oil is added, run the motor for 4-5 minutes, then kill the engine. After letting it sit for 1 minute, check the oil with the dipstick and it should be around the full mark.
  5. Plastic

Plastic 0O0O0O

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, i think i will start off with about 1.5 quarts and go from there since mine is only a 250, any recomendation on viscosity? i weigh around 170 and my toes touch, but i cannot put both feet flat on the ground....it doesn't feel right after riding an xr200 for a long time which was much shorter
  6. Moto-Dude

Moto-Dude Suzuki disciple

Oddometer:
    It's a dirt bike, you shouldn't expect to put both feet flat on the ground :) If you can get by with one foot on the toes, you're good. :wink:
  7. rcksnwtr

rcksnwtr Breaks everything!!!

Oddometer:
    capacity is 1.9 quarts with filter and 1.7 quarts w/o filter. drain from both drains ,replace filter, then fill from the top where the dip stick is . start and let run at low rpm for a min or two to let the oil circulate. kill the bike let sit for min then check oil. for the viscosity my friend was very happy to show me that it says right on the dipstick 10w40.:) and the 250 is the 350 just different bore and carb . here is a good link for a 350 http://www.ccwn.org/~lgeromil/motorrad/dr350e.htm#tuning