2013 Tiger 1050 SPORT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Stickywicket, Mar 2, 2012.

1. montanaman

montanaman Traveler

Oddometer:
    They did not well here so they are dirt cheap. Do you like yours. I am close to getting one as it seems like the best way to get that motor in a usable package. I have a 1200 Multistrada so the Tiger is not needed. I want a sport touring bike and this seems like a nice package for the money
  2. Worroll

Worroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The GT? It's a great tourer for the MSRP, and at the discounts they are giving away it's a steal. I got mine at a hefty discount. With whats on the market right now I would still go with the GT, even at full MSRP. This new Tiger would be the only bike to change that, but they are really similar bikes, the Tiger Sport wins on adjustable suspension and the trip computer functions look better. Take the bags off and the GT is just a large comfortable sportbike. Put the bags and optional top case on and you can live on the thing. I've always went with the 4 cylinder side of the 2 vs 4 debate, but now that I have a three cylinder it's the best of both. Great wide power curve, but with the RPM's to back it up. 1/4 mile in 10.88, 0-60 in 3.19, and I get over 50 MPG on trips, and mid forties in my commute. And servicing looks super easy. I haven't done anything to it except lifting the gas tank, but once you lift the tank out of the way the top of the engine is right there.
    Here's a great write-up on it- http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2011FebTriumphGT.pdf
  3. montanaman

montanaman Traveler

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that reply. Yes I had read the MCN review and it is very solid. Amazing that it was such a bomb here in the US. I guess the "upright adventure" thing kind of killed the sport/tourer. I get it.. I have a Multistrada and while not the prettiest bike it just rocks in every way. That said.. I have always wanted a more sport position while I am young enough to ride that way and the Sprint GT seems like a great middle ground between a Ninja type and a big BMW K1600 GT. I figured I'll steal a leftover now.. ride it for a year or two and then trade up to a Trophy when I want to do more super long distance riding and I tire of the lean over position. The only real beef I have with the GT is it is a more forward lean than the Concourse or the FJR..
  4. Worroll

Worroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think poor marketing also hurt the GT's sales. I remember walking past the one I ended up buying at the dealer a few times and just thinking it would be a overpriced FJR type bike, even tho it looked great I just walked right past it. I figured Triumph was just an overpriced under performing euro brand. Then I saw mention of it on this site and did my homework, boy was I wrong. Now I realize if I were to buy another bike of any genre, the Triumph offering would be solidly in my short list.
  5. 3sum

3sum former Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
    Triumph has been doing great things the last 10 years or so. Back in 04 I was preparing to buy my first new bike in quite a few years. The Speed Triple, Multistrada, and Tuono was on the short list. I chose wisely buying the Speed Triple. I've loved and owned Triumphs ever since.

Chris Pope
    Locust Grove, GA
    10 Speed Triple SE - for sale
    57 Cushman Eagle
  6. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    i owned a 1050 s3 in 2006 and it had the nicest motor ever, sadly the transmission was utter crap. Pretty hard not to grind/hard klunk 1,2. The tiger i rode of that vintage had the same thing, but without the motor. It handled beautifully though. They probably upgraded the transmissions since then
  7. DFH

DFH 270 deg crank

Oddometer:
    And its for sale because?
  8. 3sum

Oddometer:
    Because I miss my more comfy sport-tourer. I thought I could get past my arm issues (one work accident and one supermoto wreck precludes me from being able to straighten either arm) that the new, more sporty position 1050 Speed Triple has over the 955 that I loved. I'm headed back to CO this summer and the Speed Triple just ain't the bike for me for that trip.

Also (and to a larger degree in a way) because my eight year old absolutely loved riding in the mountains last Fall on a buddy's ST1300. I want him to enjoy riding as much as I do, and the little back seat on the 1050 S3's doesn't inspire me to put him on the back of it.

So I'm either going to sell the Triumph or best case scenario would be to find an old ST1100 for *cheap* and use that for my much loved big trips and ride the Triumph all over the Southeast.
  9. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:

So your looking for a "sport tourer" .. shy not the Sprint GT?
  10. 3sum

Oddometer:
    I did a short test ride on one last June just before getting the Speed Triple. For whatever reason, it didn't "wow" me. Did I like it, yeah. But there were a few things that I wasn't wild about, the most being the heat that was absolutely ROASTING my right leg on that June day.

I should probably find one that is languishing at a dealer and convince them to let me put a day's mileage on it to see if a second ride is any different.
  11. Worroll

Worroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never felt excessive heat coming from any part of my GT. I'd go for another ride!
  12. Anteraan

Anteraan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As much as I like Triumph's line, why must they make nearly every bike with a brutally ugly front end? The face on this Tiger is no different, especially from the side view. Please, Triumph, don't go the way of Honda and constantly spit out ugly bikes!
  13. 3sum

Oddometer:
    And I say the same about the new VFR's. Their fronts look like the ass end of a Victory Vision. But I digress......

To each their own.
  14. Yikes!

Yikes! Boris Badenov fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too bad there's no black version of the 1050 Sport Tiger. Guess you could always paint one.
  15. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

I'd consider a Triumph, but often find the athestics less than emotionally stirring.
  16. 3sum

Oddometer:
    That 3 cylinder is pure magic dude. Let that stir your emotions. You can't see 75% of it when riding it.

Chris Pope
    Locust Grove, GA
    10 Speed Triple SE - for sale
    57 Cushman Eagle
  17. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe. I would have had a few bikes if not for the fact that they look like ass.

I'm one of those people where a bike purchase is purely emotional. I want to be like "Yeah, this is the shit" while I'm riding it. While the Tiger Sport gets a lot closer to me liking what it does on paper, I can't look at it and find myself saying "that's a gorgeous bike...I want one".
  18. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will forget all about the "paper" and the looks after riding one. :deal
  19. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can't be serious....:huh

To each his own I guess...

IMHO, out off all the adv style bikes, the tiger sport is by far the best looking one. The R1200R is close in sex appeal, but nothing else even comes close. All other bikes look like some retarded bird, an offspring of the ugly dickling or some such. We need normal/stylish looking bikes like this tiger, so that we're not embarrased to park them next to the HDs at the office. You're not gonna catch me on any of those ugly birds. Sorry...

Yes, for city dwellers, looks and style do matter, in addition to form and function. But I understand it's not important for everyone.
  20. Anteraan

Anteraan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While the triple is great, there are lots of good-looking bikes out there with great engines as well.