Rotwieler air filter

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by timbo45, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    Ahhh.... I screwed up... :norton

For clarity:
    Again I was basing my statement on using the STANDARD filter not the DOME when installed on the SE/SM.... With the STD filter and the non-clipped velocity stacks, you cannot get that bad boy out from between the tank and the carb bits..... With the DOME and the clipped velocity stacks, then you are very correct, you can remove 'safely'.
  2. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    OUTSTANDING!!!!!

First of all, I 100% agree with this:"I have a ton of respect for H2W, purchase & own his products, and have reached out numerous times to him for tech support with great results." Ken has been my go-to for all things carby for years and looses no points at all. I appreciate you, Ken, for taking the time to chime in. :clap

Now to you, Mr. JRod152.
    You know, I always try to assist others here as much as I can with my (limited) experience and (sometimes lack of) wisdom. You sir have gone above the call of duty. Rottweiler owes you a big hug -- manly hug, that is. I suggest Rottweiler, with your permission, uses your pictures on their website to convince dumkopfs like myself to save up their pennies and invest. Seriously! Your pictures totally convinced me that I NEED this system.

CPRFAB: Be sure do remember JRod152's good deed.

Ken, do I need to rejet the system if I use the Rottweiler? If yes, do you have kit ready? :evil

And lastly, I think, just judging by the hairiness, that we may be related.

[​IMG]
  3. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
    JRod152, PM us your shipping address. Sending you a free set of filter skins. Thank you(!), for taking the time to add to this discussion. We can only get our hands on so many bikes and love customer feedback like this. And to all, we will always make time to answer phone calls and take any feedback, suggestions or criticisms. All valuable.

Don't forget to look for us at the KTM Rally. We will have some very cool stuff that will address some of the discussion here.

Chris
  4. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
    Ken was one of the first guys to make a jet kit for our systems and we defer most inquiries like this to him. He's got them dialed. :deal

Chris
  5. Head2Wind

Oddometer:
    Yes, the open foam filter system requires rejetting, PM me and I can get you pointed in the right direction

Sent from ADVmachines.com via Tapatalk
  6. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Hey H2W,

Are you by chance going to Colorado KTM Rally this year...

( I know you're a busy guy!)
  7. GLRRA47

GLRRA47 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What kind of fuel mileage can I expect - '07 ADV with a Rotwieler intake system & stock exhaustand then Rotwieler intake system with Q4 exhausts. (Remapping as needed for proper running - not max HP)
  8. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My experience with both the carb and FI Adventures is that fuel mileage stays about the same as the stock airbox.
  9. ADV Dave

ADV Dave Gear up

Oddometer:
    there is a short period of wrist issues you will have to come to terms with...:lol3
  10. JRod152

JRod152 will work for tires

Oddometer:
    For clarity:
    Again I was basing my statement on using the STANDARD filter not the DOME when installed on the SE/SM.... [/QUOTE]\

I figured it was something like that.

I think I would have preferred the overall idea of the larger ADV filter and unclipped intake horns, but I wasn't sure about:
    -Seat pan mods
    -easy access for service
    I wonder if there is a 'seat of the pants' difference?

Glad those thoughts are cleared up for future owners!
  11. JRod152

JRod152 will work for tires

Oddometer:
    Colorado Uli-

Thanks for the kind words. Glad I can be one of the guilty for pushing you over the edge! :D You'll love the setup for man reasons.

I have farmed an amazing quantity of info & knowledge from this community. Thanks for sharing that my input gave a little of that back.

Cheers.
  12. Head2Wind

Oddometer:
    I am in negotiations with Mrs. H2W right now..... We have a bunch going on right now with me working 50+/week for my 'real job' plus three businesses to keep a handle on. However I am trying to get all my "honey must do" list whittled down while I am helping take care of a family member who is on the after life's 'short list' for next 6 to 9 months...

So, enough whinning from me... My intention is to be there at the rally, hopefully with some New ADVmachines collaborative products The next week or so will dictate if I can follow through with that intention.
  13. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    My best to you and your family, first and foremost! You've always been most gracious with your time and insight. It'd be great to give you that much deserved hand shake, pat on the back and frosty beer mug in the Rockies.
  14. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was ogling the PCV maps in rotweiler site and I noticed that at 100% there is significant fuel subtracted from the matrix cells. Of the order of 3-7% that is. Which raises the questions:
    1) What was the target AFR at 100% and upper rpm range?
    2) How is it possible to achieve more power while using so much less fuel compared to the stock airbox?
  15. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
    Easy answer. (although tahoeracer will be better suited to give details) If you are looking at the PCV map on our site for the ADV, that was made by our dyno location and was about 13:4 AFR.

More fuel, does not equal more power. Most race bikes are on the edge of lean to make the most power. What dyno guys are usually shooting for is a balance of the two. Making power, but safely. Based on the stock mapping, depending on what it is, leaning it out in certain areas will produce more power AND better mileage. We get reports all the time from customers like this.

The chart below show a before and after with the Rottweiler Intake System on a Super Duke. Starting with a zero PCV map (stock mapping) and then actually making the AFR leaner you will notice it's making 8 more HP at a leaner but very safe AFR. Win -win. (sorry for the size)

[​IMG]
  16. spencergt66

spencergt66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone having an issue with the filter rubbing on the seat vary slightly?
  17. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is absolutely true that more fuel does not equal more power, but I am not aware what the safe AFR is. I think I would go a bit richer something like 13.0-13.2. Maybe Tahoecr will enlighten us here.
    I would be very interested to see dyno charts and PCV maps of an adv with stock vs CPR filter and exactly the same AFR target map!
  18. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
    The foam part of the top of the filter can touch the bottom of the seat pan a little. Not often but sometimes the red plastic upper ring will barely touch. It has never been an issue and nothing really becomes of it. The very first one we made is still in service on our test bike and it shows no real signs of wear.
  19. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
    For power Adv's like 13.0 + or -. For economy they like 14.0 + or -. Never go beyond 14.6. Thems lean territory.

One cool thing about Autotune with the LCD is you can make maps for each gear. It can get complicated but you can set 5th and 6th around 14.0 and lower gears around 13.0 when your scooting. You can also have one map and set it a little lean in the "cruise" range. this would be between 3 and 5K RPM and up to 20% throttle. Again, Tahoecr has this dialed from what I've seen. You can set everywhere else in the 13.2 range for power. From 0 to 5% throttle we have a little mapping trick that really smooths out the bottom end jerk.
  20. spencergt66

spencergt66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK just noticed last time I had the seat off I had rubbed a small home in one of the white throw away filter skins