Made a mistake in Florida

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by crazymactech, Feb 21, 2009.

1. crazymactech

crazymactech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In December I hauled my bike from Michigan to Florida. I just had an expensive project done to the sportster. Made it into a bagger. Hard saddle bags from an electra glide, tour pack, fairing, and expensive HD paint on them to match my bike.

My mistake was riding at night when I know that I can't see good at night. 100 miles away from my friends house I went to turn left into a gas station. What I thought were painted dividing lines was actually a concrete lane divider. As I said, I can't see good at night.

Went over the divider and slammed down onto my left side. I motioned for someone leaving the gas station to help me pick up the bike as I was in pain. I rode it to the pumps, gassed up, and rode the 100 miles in pain.

I laid up at my friends house for a day, he loaded up the bike, and I drove 16 hours to my sister's house near Dayton, OH. Since I'm retired military, I took advantage of free medical care at Wright Pattterson AFB's ER. I had a fractured collar bone. They sent me off with the arm in a sling and it is taking a long time to recover.

Damage to the bike: paint worn off on edges of the left saddle bag, left side of the tour pack is cracked (I can fix that), scrapes on the fairing (can't buff out the scratches I need to see through. Nothing else was damaged.

So I've reordered the expensive yellow pearl and a fairing, and will have the painting done when I'm healed up enough to ride to my indy for the painting.

Here's the bike the day before I left on the trip.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-p...s/c/crazymactech_sporty%20project_bagger3.jpg

Lesson learned, don't ride at night if you can't see very well at night.
  2. crazymactech

crazymactech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In December I hauled my bike from Michigan to Florida. I just had an expensive project done to the sportster. Made it into a bagger. Hard saddle bags from an electra glide, tour pack, fairing, and expensive HD paint on them to match my bike.

My mistake was riding at night when I know that I can't see good at night. 100 miles away from my friends house I went to turn left into a gas station. What I thought were painted dividing lines was actually a concrete lane divider. As I said, I can't see good at night.

Went over the divider and slammed down onto my left side. I motioned for someone leaving the gas station to help me pick up the bike as I was in pain. I rode it to the pumps, gassed up, and rode the 100 miles in pain.

I laid up at my friends house for a day, he loaded up the bike, and I drove 16 hours to my sister's house near Dayton, OH. Since I'm retired military, I took advantage of free medical care at Wright Pattterson AFB's ER. I had a fractured collar bone. They sent me off with the arm in a sling and it is taking a long time to recover.

Damage to the bike: paint worn off on edges of the left saddle bag, left side of the tour pack is cracked (I can fix that), scrapes on the fairing (can't buff out the scratches I need to see through. Nothing else was damaged.

So I've reordered the expensive yellow pearl and a fairing, and will have the painting done when I'm healed up enough to ride to my indy for the painting.

Here's the bike the day before I left on the trip.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-p...s/c/crazymactech_sporty%20project_bagger3.jpg

Lesson learned, don't ride at night if you can't see very well at night.
  3. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geez Crazy, glad you aren't worse off!!! Listen, It isn't wise to ride at night no matter how well you see. We all should limit our riding time at nite. thanks for the reminder and heal well!!!
  4. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you were not seriously hurt. Stay off that bike at night!!! :D
  5. indycar

indycar Calmer than you are

Oddometer:

+1 AT least it's cold here in the midwest, so you're not missing any riding! Glad you're OK and safe and on the mend!
  6. Lee Keller King

Lee Keller King Adventurer Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! That is YELLOW!

Glad you weren't hurt any worse.

"A man's got to know his limitations" Harry Callahan.

God bless and thanks for your service,

Lee
  7. jbim

jbim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    U r a tuff dude.

I can't imagine how you did this. I had an accident in November. I broke the right collarbone and five ribs. I was taken to the hospital by ambulance. I sat in my lazyboy for the next six weeks. At the hospital I passed out due to the shock and pain.

Healing is 6-8 weeks. You have to keep the arm immobilized to help the bones reconnect. Get physio and workout as much as you can.

Take care of yourself.
  8. outpostbabu

outpostbabu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you're ok. On the plus side, with a bike that yellow, people can see YOU for miles even if you can't see them (at night) :lol3. Nice ride, heal up.
  9. Solo Gato

Solo Gato long in the tooth Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can see pretty well at night and crap like that has happened to me. I find when its dark I'm ok, but its hardest to see with the yellowish street lights. Last year I drove my gs into a "puddle" - nope it was the 3' deep culvert next to the entrance. hope ya heal up fine.
  10. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Sucks. I can't see shit - night is even worst. I try not to drive at night. I have yet to see what the Fatboys light looks like at night? (other than parked in the driveway)Looks bright. I am shocked you drove into one of those? How]s your rim? Hurts just to think about it. Hope you get better fast. Like JB said, do that rehab to get it strong around that joint.