84 Honda Elite 125 questions...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by ride4321, Oct 28, 2012.

1. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I posted on another thread here a few days ago about this Elite I picked up for $100. Thought I'd start a new thread since I'm gonna have a lot of questions and maybe I can get some answers here.

[​IMG]

running!

http://youtu.be/8VbcPVuXns4

So I've got it running which is good. Don't have much info on this bike but did get the service manual online. I don't have a key but the switch has be "modified" and I can turn it with a pair of pliers now.:D

First question. It's on the center stand running but the rear wheel isn't turning, not even when I give it more throttle. I thought it should engage with throttle input. Is it possible the brake switch is sticking? I haven't messed with that yet.
  2. avir

avir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    check to see if the belt is in place....
  3. max57

max57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have one of those I bought new. Your wheel should definitely be turning. I would guess either the belt is broken or- gasp- the final drive went without lubrication. I did that back in the 80s, ruined the bearings and had to get it fixed. But of course look for little things first. Drain the final drive to see if any oil is in there.
  4. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Checked the fluid and it was over filled. Didn't look to see if the belt was even there. I'll go check that now.

The belt is in place and actually looks pretty good.

So the wheel should spin while it's on the center stand when throttle is applied?

OK, just got back in from messing with it. When I take it off the stands and give it gas it moves forward a bit. Can't sit on it and try it out because it's on jumpers to an extra battery right now. I'm charging the battery that fits and will try it with me on it once it's charged up.
    It's starting up really nice now and I haven't even cleaned the carb yet.
  5. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do yourself a favor before things get ruined and pop the cover off the drive train area and at least clean it out . Better yet,pull the variators apart and clean out the 30 yr old grease which is more like wax by now and regrease and lube everything and it will run forever for you.
  6. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point, I'll do that. I did give it a go in the garage with me sitting on it just now. It moved but felt like it was slow in doing it. I'll pull it apart and see how everything looks later.

I remember seeing it here but can't find it now and the service manual doesn't say...what kind of oil do I use in the tranny?
  7. max57

max57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is a parking brake on that scoot but I forget how it works. That would be funny. It is on the left side and is to keep the scoot from rolling off the sidestand. You have a nice scooter there. I have gotten over 100 mpg on my wife's one. Takes off quickly too. Put good tires on it.
  8. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been trying to figure out how the parking brake works. I was under the impression you just pushed the brake peddle down hard and it would stay in place until you pressed on it again but mine doesn't work that way. It still needs to be lubed though so I could be wrong.
    Is this the parking brake? It's frozen in place but seems to be some sort of cable.

[​IMG]

DUH, never mind, it says PARKING BRAKE right on it. I'm going to lube that up right now and see if I can free it up.

If anyone has a link to the owners manual it would come in very handy.

Note: The parking brake wasn't on but the cable was frozen. Loosened that up and also sprayed the rear brake cable. The wheel seemed to spin better so I took it up the road a block. It seems to go ok but takes some throttle to get it moving. More work needs to be done on the brakes however:rofl
  9. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Decided to pull the exhaust off and see what was left of it. The flange for the manifold is shot but that can probably be fixed I think...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it was hanging loose so that wasn't helping the sound at all. You can also see the flange is cracked and bent.

The rest of it. Got all the screws off the heat shield except the last one. Decided to call it a night but the pipe seems solid, not sure about the muffler.

[​IMG]

I'm assuming the muffler is built into the back part just before the tiny tailpipe?
  10. max57

max57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The muffler is quite expensive. I need to replace mine after 11000 miles, and 27 years. Keep the exhaust studs lubed. That muffler comes off anytime you remove the rear wheel.
  11. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can see that. I'm hoping I can get this welded up and use it as is. $360 for a new exhaust just isn't in the budget until I ride it for awhile and make sure it's reliable. I think a welder can fix up the mount for me, then I can see how it sounds.
    Guess this will be a good time to pull the wheel and check the bearing eh?
  12. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got two Honda Elite 125 parts scooters .. probably have a muffler if you cannot make that one work.
  13. max57

max57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is the odometer reading? One surprise about the pop up headlight- it keeps on working year after year. I had to adjust it once.
  14. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll keep that in mind but will try to fix this first. Do you think one of them is in good shape? PM a price to me if it is.
  15. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's showing around 2600 on the odometer. I was real happy that the pop up light worked, wasn't expecting that. For $100 I'm just glad it's running to be honest.
  16. bbishoppcm

bbishoppcm It ain't a moped.

Oddometer:
    I had an Elite 150, I paid $550 for it as a total complete basket-case (you have no idea how rare scooters are up here!) and $1000 later, it was a beautiful machine. I sold it at an enormous loss, but I had fun. I'm riding a 1998 Helix now, and couldn't be happier.
  17. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why did you sell it at an enormous loss?
  18. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Placed an order at Adv. Auto for fluids today and will change them out tonight.
    Preston Antifreeze-silicate free
    Castrol Edge Synthetic 10-30 (winter around the corner)
    Mobile 1 synthetic gear oil

That stuff should work fine right?

Hopefully my buddy can weld up the exhaust for me sometime this week.
  19. bbishoppcm

Oddometer:
    The oil should be 10w40, but everything else is fine; good job on the silicate-free coolant, that will work fine. Gear oil should be 75w90 or so, that's what I've always used with good results.
  20. bbishoppcm

Oddometer:
    I had to get rid of it to make room for the Helix, it had to go QUICK!