Hopped-up XRL vs TE610 vs Xchallenge vs ???

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by markbvt, Nov 13, 2009.

1. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Hey everyone.

Ever since I rode the Trans-Labrador Highway two months ago, I've been mulling over a bit of a dual-sport conundrum and thought I'd finally put it out here for advice from the experienced ADV masses.

My XR650L did fine on the Trans-Lab itself, but it was significantly underpowered for all the long paved stretches in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Maine. It just doesn't have the punch to haul my 6'4"/250-lb self along at moderate highway speeds without feeling seriously stressed. So I've been thinking of either building it up or replacing it.

What do I want to do with this bike? I live in Vermont, where we don't have any public trails for riding. And while I do have access to some private trails, I've got to be honest -- part of the appeal of motorcycling for me is being able to see a landscape as I travel through it. Woods trails don't appeal to me much -- "Oh look, a tree. Oh look, another tree. There's a bunch of roots over there, and another tree." I also just don't have a great deal of interest in slogging through mud bogs or inching my way up a highly technical rocky trail. My motivation is to see the countryside, not to get my bike over really difficult terrain just because it's there -- think remote dirt roads, fire roads, open-country trails (if I can find them), that sort of thing. In most cases, I'll have to travel to find this sort of riding, and part of the issue with the XRL is that its lack of power makes me think of it as a local-only bike, unsuited for long trips, and I nearly didn't take it on the Trans-Lab trip.

What's my ability level? Good street rider, comfortable on dirt roads with or without gravel (I found the Trans-Lab pretty easy except for one freshly-graded section with very loose gravel and extremely strong crosswinds), but I'm not a motocross rider.

So here are the options as I see them:
    * Keep the XRL and try to hop it up. I've already done the standard uncorking and Dave's Mods. Next step would be a new exhaust system and flat-slide carb. And possibly a Hot Cams stage 1 kit (I'm not really interested in getting into a big-bore kit). Research indicates I should be able to expect 40-45hp. Fuel efficiency is a big question though -- it's already fairly shitty (45mpg when taking it easy on country roads; on the Trans-Lab I seemed to be getting around 35-40mpg). Also, it's a low-compression air-cooled single -- it's never exactly going to be a powerhouse.

* Sell the XRL and buy a used Husky TE610 or BMW G650 Xchallenge. Both of these bikes weigh about the same as the XRL or slightly less, both make about 53hp, both get around 55-65mpg. Not sure which one would be the better choice. Reliability doesn't seem to be a significant issue with either one, and used ones seem to be priced similarly. That said, if something does go wrong, parts will not be as easy to find (or cheap) as they are for the XRL.

What I'd really like is a KTM 690 Enduro (or even 950 Super Enduro), but I can't afford one. I'm on a tight budget.

Any other bikes I should be looking at? Here are a few I've already excluded and the reasons why:
    * Any KTM: Too expensive, and many of them are far too maintenance-intensive.
    * Beta RS 525: KTM 525 engine, so far too maintenance intensive.
    * KLR650: Not much more powerful than the XRL and something like 50lbs heavier.
    * DR650: About the same power as the XRL, a little heavier, lower-quality suspension.
    * F/G650GS series: Too porky.
    * F650/800GS: I've ridden an F800GS and didn't like it. Plus even the 650 is pretty pricey -- and I wouldn't be interested in the 650 due to lower stance, cast wheels, etc.
    * XR650R: Might actually be a possibility, but I'm not sure what maintenance is like, and I hear it gets fairly terrible gas mileage.

Another option would be to rebuild my Wee-Strom with dirtbike forks and spoked wheels and get rid of all the unnecessary bodywork (see any of the Thin-Strom threads over in Beasts). But that would result in a big, heavy bike that would be somewhat better off pavement than the stock Strom, but would probably sacrifice on-pavement handling and long-distance comfort.

At this point I'm leaning towards just looking for a Husky or Xchallenge in the spring, but I wanted to put the question out here to see if anyone's got better ideas/advice.

If you've managed to read this far, thanks! :D

--mark
  2. Bonebag

Bonebag ADDvrider

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin..Hot,Cold and everything in Between
    for the type of riding..mostly on road and dirt roads..you're looking at..you already have the V-strom..I'd mod that and get rid of your XRL..Unless you pony up for a KTM or the like..you're not going to see any big advantage (and the KTM/Husky crowd aren't that comfy on the slab either)..The suzook is going to be your best bet..and you already own it:deal
  3. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an Xchallenge and a KTM 640 Adventure and they are similar beasts.

The Xchallenge has less guts and personality as the fuel injection is so smooth. They are both a blast in the woods, but the KTM's suspension is far superior. I have a Renazco seat on my KTM and it is amazing. I have ridden it for several hours in the on the road and for days in the woods and like any thumper, I have to stop occasionally because of the vibration - that's why they are called thumpers.

The hugest difference between the two bikes(beside the suspension) is the gas tank size/range. The BMW goes about 70 miles before the light comes on and I start searching for gas. The tank size sucks! I have ridden close to 330 miles on the KTM as it is like a super tanker.

My 640 ADV has been getting less riding time than I would like and I am thinking of selling it. Give me a shout if you are interested as I have not put an ad together. I have full Touratech bags and alot of other parts for the KTM.

Teeth to the wind,
    Sno Dawg
  4. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Husky has 6 speeds :deal

I agree the wee will do you well I bet and more comfortable.
  5. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    "I'm on a tight budget."

Keep the L. Pickup a flat slide, exhaust and call it done. Try some different gear ratios for cheap. Just sold my XRR and bought an XRL for a bit more street oriented ride and the button. Oh if the L had a 6speed we wouldn't be discussing this!
  6. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    Having had an 06 TE610 and spending allot of time on my Bosses XRL I can tell you that what you are asking for the Choice would be to find a used Xchallenge as it is a very good bike, The XRL, down on power and has transmission ratios that Suck.
    The TE is a nice bike but very limited IMO is you have to do any Highway at all, I put 6,000 miles on my 06 TE610, liked it till I rode my sons X, so I sold it bought the Xch, and I have never once since missed the 6 speed TE, The 5 speed is fine and the Xch is a better bike IMO for most all riding I do, I do ride off road and some nasty Single track too. The X is a very capable Off Road bike and way better than the 610 when you have to do some slab.
    Better gas mileage, lighting, seat, YES better seat!, better higher air intake( water crossings are no problem on the x),
    better blinkers, (they flex and don't break or MELT on the X), quieter muffler, Wider foot pegs, more torque, and my X gets twice the gas mileage of my 610, I am sure the newer Fuel injected should be better, But the way I ride my X is so much better than my 610 was, The X has a 2.5 gallon tank and my 610 had a 4 gallon and the X will go farther on one tank. On our last ride we were both amazed how good the mileage was, as we pulled into Yellow Pine, ID @ 136.4 miles still on the main tank, both of us took 2.4 gallons, My light usually comes on at about 90 miles (1.7 gallons)
    We just did a 2300 mile mostly Off-Road ride to Montana and back, and the X's worked great, I would have never wanted to do such a ride on my 610., I am sure it would do it but I would not have had as much fun.
    [​IMG]
  7. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 650 Strom and a KTM 640 Adventure.

If the riding you do can be done on a Strom with reasonable suspension mods, thats fine, but I dont think its worth trying to mod one very much.

Unless you are a fabricator spoked rims are not an option and even if you are they are not going to be cheap.
    In fact you'll probably spend as much for the rims alone as your XRL is worth.

I like the X-Challenge myself, but its not an Adventure/long range bike, its a dual sport.
    Its fuel range and subframe are its weakness and the fuel tanks are not cheap.
    Sure you can build it into an Adventure/long range bike (you mentioned budget, right),
    but you can buy a turn key 640 Adventure for about the same as a base X-Challenge.

If you dont need the Supertanker range of the 640 ADV, a 640 Enduro is an even less expensive option.
  8. djchan

djchan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm presently prepping mine for sale:evil . $4300 in west central Maine. Near perfect condition with extras and under 3000 miles. All the kinks have been worked out. XPC racing seat, aluminm bars, jet kit, pegs, skidplate, windshield, etc.
  9. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep the XRL, it's your best all around bike.
    That being said, if it can do everything it can not do anything perfectly.
    It comes down to this, how do you want to compromise?
    More off road capability and suffer on the road or vice versa.
    And more maintenance for better performance or vice versa.
    Also, performance cost money, how fast do you want to go?
    The Honda can most easely and cheaply be modified into anything you may want.

I have a similar sitution to you, the need to ride a ways to get to the off road and I see your point on the really L O N G highway rides.
    I regullary ride my XRL or Husky 100 miles or so to riding spots.
    The Husky handling is much better off and on road though. The Honda has a very comfortable off and on road ride.
    I wish my XRL got 45 MPG highway as typical is high to mid 30's. The Husky on the other hand gets low 40's all the time. The Husky is the same maint. as KTM or BMW with few dealers. The Honda is ez to get parts for, there are dealers everywhere, and it needs little to keep going.

I view the Wee in a different category as the Dual Sports above as off road capability is limited.

You be the judge and good luck.

XRL on its turf:
    [​IMG]

The Husky at home. An elegant machine:
    [​IMG]
  10. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    XRL typical is high to mid 30's.

You must be very rich on the jetting. My new to me XRL is near 50mpg with flat slide carb and full exhaust. With the 4.2 clarke tank I can get 180-200 miles from a tank.
  11. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am talking Highway MPG at 70 MPH or so. I get 45 when trail riding.
  12. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Had 2 of them, a 99 and an 06 both bought new. Great bikes but suck on any long paved roads and lack power for really hauling on dirt roads. I know you said earlier about KTMs being maintenance intensive but when I got my new KTM 950 Adv S, I thought I died and went to heaven. Wow, and thats putting it mildly. The 950 was my XRL on steroids with better suspension. Maintenance ain't that bad just takes a little longer but the rewards are well worth it especially if you like to ride aggresively. Try it, you'll like it!
  13. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    My thought was to replace the stock Wee-Strom forks with more dirt-oriented ones (XRL and DR-Z forks are the same diameter, I believe) and use the front wheel that goes with the forks. I'd probably need axle and spacers machined, but I can find a local shop to do that. Rear wheel would be the bigger issue -- I could always just leave it stock for the time being and just upgrade the shock.

But like I said before, this would result in a big, heavy bike that would only be marginally better on dirt than the stock Strom with decent tires. And I imagine it would significantly compromise the Strom's on-road handling.

I suppose I should clarify -- my XRL gets around 45 on open country roads, ie, average speed of 45-55 or so. At highway speeds of 65-70, it drops a lot, just like yours.

Also, regarding KTM maintenance -- I wouldn't be bothered with the maintenance involved in a 640, 690, or 950 since those engines are designed for long-haul road use. What I don't feel like putting up with is the 525 and smaller with maintenance intervals every 20 hours or whatever and a top-end rebuild every 100. I put too many miles on to deal with that.

Thanks for the responses so far, everyone. Interesting stuff to think about.

--mark