1975 Yamaha dt400c

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by kelvinb, Aug 16, 2012.

1. kelvinb

kelvinb n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, my name is Kelvin, friends with regal403 on here and pointed me to this site. I recently acquired this bike as a project. My uncle purchased this from the original owner, and has had this since the mid 80s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He parked it in this barn after it quit getting spark 5 years ago. I asked him how much he wanted for it and told me that if I picked it up, I could have it.

quick trip to the car wash

[​IMG]

I finally tore into it, and started determining what i could use, and what i had to replace.

[​IMG]

seat latch works

[​IMG]

custom oil cap, a cheap ebay replacement has been acquired.

[​IMG]

the fuel tank had something in it, and i wasnt about to try and figure out if it would fire on it or not so i decided to drain it. after removing the fuel line i tried turning the petcock from off to on, and it wouldnt turn. a pair of pliers finally coaxed it open but nothing would come out.

[​IMG]

after cleaning off the sludge i could blow through it. whether or not it works ill find out later i guess.

I then decided to take the airbox and carb off to see what it looked like. the tube between the carb and airbox revealed a critter that passed many moons ago. fortunately the carb was stuck closed, so there was nothing in it, or the cylinder.

[​IMG]

well, theres only one place it could of came from right?

[​IMG]

I am now searching for a new airbox, and recently acquired a new wiring harness as this one is destroyed.

[​IMG]

it is currently sitting like so waiting for some brake cleaner, degreaser and a quick wash.

[​IMG]

if anyone has any parts for sale, or any information they would like to share i would appreciate it. Ive been lurking and viewing some other restorations of these and really impressed on how well they turn out. Thanks
  2. kelvinb

kelvinb n00b

Oddometer:
    this came with it too.

[​IMG]
  3. nhedbot

nhedbot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You may already know about yamahaenduro.com. If not, check it out. Lot of knowledge and help there.
  4. 20valves

20valves Yamaholic

Oddometer:
    Wait a minute, an off road capable bike that's street legal, I thought BMW started all that in the 80's? :lol3

Have fun, a guy in OK restored one of those to showroom and it's a great bike!
  5. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    They were great bikes, I have the exact bike sitting and rotting away up at a hunting camp, Every few yrs I dig it out and fire it up and run it around the trails just for the hell of it.
  6. regal403

regal403 vanilla_g0rilla

Oddometer:
    Oh hello Kelvin. Nice project.
  7. Hunsta

Hunsta Have guns will hunt

Oddometer:
    If you have trouble finding an air box, I have one thats off my 1976 DT250. Should be virtually the same Im sure. However I am in Australia.
    Craig
  8. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    Nice find! I had a 74 which was the same bike with a different paint job. I replace the seat with one from the same year MXer. You can see the two mounting brackets on your frame for the MX seat. Much betta on the bottom.
  10. georgej

georgej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bike. I just picked up a '74,no title but she runs and is complete,even has the tool kit under the seat. The kick starter on mine gets stuck sometimes.i'll be doing some work to it over the winter,tires,general cleanup etc.I'll post a pic soon.Good luck with yours.
  11. kelvinb

kelvinb n00b

Oddometer:
    I haven't been here in forever. I pulled it out of storage and started going through it again. I order a vm32-33 mikuni carb, new bars installed along with new switches on both sides. Next steep is to remove the flywheel and check the stator. I'll post pics tomorrow.