Hotrodding the GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Poolside, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boxerwrench

Boxerwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the confidence SOG, and the levity :lol3

The warranty is like most retail auto/moto electrical parts. No warranty.

As far as durability, I'd have to say that it's nearly as durable as the stock intake air temperature sensor. I say nearly because the stock sensor may be slightly more durable because it's located inside the airbox.

<BR>
  3. Happy Wanderer

Happy Wanderer Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer:
    Wow. Tough crowd.
    I have to say in all my years of internet transactions I have never received such responses from simple direct questions or a vendor (and you are a vendor) who comes with his own crew of online bouncers.

It's just like high school in here. Guys calling you names and basically telling you to piss off while they brown nose to "get theirs" sooner. Pretty hilarious. Anyway, thanks for the education!

For the record, I have worked over twenty five years in the electronics and semiconductor industries. I have sold and serviced multi million dollar installations of semiconductor processing and wafer handling equipment world wide and managed global service engineering teams for said products. I started out as a tech on a bench and have spent countless hours stuffing boards, soldering them and building components and systems. (You know, have gun, will solder) I feel comfortable saying I understand a wee bit about technology.

I have read most of the original thread before I asked questions. I was simply hoping there was a one page blurb somewhere that explained this products theory of operation, tech specs and the usual info that goes with any such device that is for sale commercially. It helps one make up their mind about buying. That's it. Forgive my impertinence.

Arsegon is a whimsical Irish term used by two hilarious TV characters on RTE called Podge and Rodge. Look it up and have a laugh. And maybe take a mild pill while you're at it.

Yikes...
  4. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    With whimsy. I get that you understand a wee bit about technology. Like you don't know that the density of air changes over temperature.

But there's an education to be found. There's that collection of links to how it all works. You know, say it with me, "On the first page of this thread".

<BR>
  5. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, a free bump every 2 minutes! :lol3:D
  6. wrysingfeenix

wrysingfeenix Dust off those ashes

Oddometer:
    Poolside. You have the patience of a frickin' SAINT, demonstrated by:

1. Designing this device

2. Assembling these devices

3. Putting up with the time, trouble, and bullshit that has surfaced in the designing, assembling, and distributing of these devices.

Thanks agains for all that, and for letting us trudge through it all with you.

You too, JohnJen

Incidentally. I have absolutely NO background in electronic/computer technology, and I can explain exactly what it does, why you designed it to do it, and how well it does it. I'm able to do that because I've followed the thread, installed one, and enjoyed it. :wink::wink::wink:
  7. StYd

StYd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like it! After letting it languish in my saddlebag for a month, I finally put it in and set it for the -20 setting, 95degree florida humidity. Was able to get aboiut a 40 mile ride in yesterday, and wow. Like has been said, the throttle response is nice and crisp, but what really impressed me was burbling along in 1st gear at about 1700rpms just smooth as silk. no hesitation, or abruptness to the throttle at all.

Cool Beans!
  8. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me if there is a different model of these IICE for the F800GS vs an 02 1150 GS?

Thanks in advance. I'm on the list & just wanted to confirm.

Oh & Marketing Dept. - any estimate when we'll get to J.G.- in NV?

Thanks.
  9. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    SOG, comes across like that sometimes...almost makes ya think he a lawyer:lol3 Seriously though, be sure to send me his, cause I will have to install it anyway:evil You do not turn SOG loose with even a screw driver:deal
  10. word1

word1 Can you repeat the question?

Oddometer:
    Okee Dokee - here are my initial ride reports based on two installs:

- my '02 R1150GS with 92k miles.
    Stock except for a full Remus Genesis exhaust plus pre-muffler to replace the catalyst. I've experimented with both the original 'Golden Yellow' CCP (part # 61 36 8 366 282 & connecting pins 30-87) and the 'Steptoe' jumper (30-87a). For my machine the difference is very subtle, but I prefer the jumper.

- Ginny's '98 R1100R with 94k miles.
    Stock except for a full Remus Grand Prix exhaust plus pre-muffler to replace the catalyst. The original 'Rose Pink' CCP (part # 61 36 8 366 625 & connecting pins 30-87-87a) was replaced with a jumper to replicate the 'Beige' CCP (part # 61 36 8 366 551 & connecting pins 30-87a). The reasoning behind this was R1100's shipped to countries which did not require a catalyst seemed to be fitted with the 'Beige' CCP. Those sent to the US and fitted with a catalyst had the 'Rose Pink' CCP.

IICE-Aire in "as delivered" setting (-20) and ambient air temp of 65-70F:

Fitting the IICE-Air to my GS resulted in a immediate and noticeable change. Idle is smoother, and all throttle changes are more immediate and crisp. It seems to pull better at low RPM, and also seems happier to rev. It appears to have broadened the useable powerband. A somewhat un-scientific spark plug chop-n-check showed actual color on the insulator! :lol3 After almost 200k miles worth of looking at Oilhead spark plugs, I've never seen anything but "fish-belly white", so this is quite a change.

Fitting the IICE-Air to the Roadster was a little puzzling. Her machine has always been Very Strong and initially she felt no performance difference. We actually did a 'blind' back-to-back test, and while she could correctly identify when the IICE-Air was installed the difference was very subtle. She explained it as being "smoother" and "more connected to the throttle". The same plug check on her machine showed no real change in plug color.

Both my GS and the Roadster suffer from "pinging" in hot weather, under what I will call "passing" situations. This initial ride was under abnormally cool conditions, so that test will have to wait.

We're about to go out for a week long road trip, so this should yield much more data under a range of conditions.

_jay
  11. sonic578

sonic578 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You mean when i install this thing I won't have to disengage the clutch and coast, then re-engage to accelerate, then disengage... until I've made it through the school zone... because idling through is a little hard on the neck muscles? I'm gonna miss that Boxer 'f'eature'!! :wink:
  12. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    OK JJ, I am dying here. How much of a "donation" do I have to make to your favorite "charity" to get to the head of the line. :ear

Or, Long Beach isn't that big :huh. I'll start driving today, I'll find Poolside sooner or later, then :evil

:hide

KIDDING. Reading all these reviews then riding the dirty girl herking and jerking in first gear, well you know!
  13. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Ok, cool this post answered the 02 1150 GS question.

14. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Check by the pool. Just say'n.
  15. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    The head of the line is approaching all of you guys even faster than you know. It won't be long now. :thumb

JJ
  16. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    No. One size fits all.

And marketing sez
    YES!
    (see my previous post)

JJ
  17. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Meaning "it won't be long now" ? :deal
  18. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I know exactly when my two IICE-Airs will arrive . . .

. . . it'll be the day after I put up the two bikes for the winter.

Luckily, "winter" around here lasts for about 3 weeks!
  19. Boxerwrench

Boxerwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I settled for attaching mine to the seat height rod w/ vinyl coated twist ties like the ones that wrap up electronic cables.
    It can point down but still rotate up for pin change.

Left it at the -20 and took a 60+ mile ride of rural highway and city streets.
    first third of the ride I got to put in 4.6/6 gallons of REAL 90 octane Gasoline!
    2/3 of the way thru the ride I also installed a K&N air Filter ( one reason for the ride).
    I am not sure how that also affected the ride.
    I am sure the Falcon is in a state of shock tho.....:D

(Note now that I still need a good valve and sync redo. and my cables.)
    Stone cold starting needed only one extra stroke of max "choke" and the rpm stayed at 2k in the normal "choke" position.:smile6
    Roll on power: seemed a little smoother so the accel seemed a little smoother.
    Strange thing happened tho, bike shifted normal below 4k and 5 heat bars longer than usual.:huh
    The AIR also seemed to smooth out alot ( but not all) of the roll on and off power lurching at lower rpm's ( 3.4k and less) in 1st and 2nd between 3-3.8K rpm.
    Not scientific but the bike seemed happier to get to 70 and up and run there.
    Temps ranged from high 80's to low 90's
    Might try the really hot setting to see what happens as it gets to the low 90's alot of late ( down from the mid 90's! , ya I know other hot climate guy may bark in but we have what you don't ....moist air! :lol2)
  20. Happy Wanderer

Happy Wanderer Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer:
    Having read the entire thread and today the entire vendor thread I am really interested to hear from end users. So please, go ahead. I'm all ears! :ear
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.