2012 West Coast Discovery

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DockingPilot, Feb 3, 2013.

1. STBNE

STBNE Scooterrazzi

Oddometer:
    Hi Frank...once again a truly epic adventure and RR...the way everyone has their own GPS and can ride untethered to a group only intensifies the wilderness experience...As one great author...Edward Abbey used to say. Freedom and wilderness are synonymous...and you cant have true freedom without wilderness...:clap
  2. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    We start to notice the road carving through canyonlands.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also see our first Pacific Ocean influences out in the distance. Sea fog.
    [​IMG]

I zoom out to confirm my suspicions
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From a rocky, craggy, shadeless terrain, I briefly descend into a small pocket of shade with tall and low vegetation punctuated with a running stream. A small slice of heaven.
    So I shut the bike off and stay for 15 minutes or so. Knowing I was in the tail position, I would have total solitude.
    [​IMG]

I mean the water was crystal clear. Just incredible!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And black berries galore! :yum
    [​IMG]

After the break, I'm quickly back up in elevation
    [​IMG]

You could clearly see where you would be, but the legs of these serpentines were very long ! :clap Which is great, unless you really need to be somewhere else :lol3
    [​IMG]

The camera doesn't depict it very well, but I'm looking at the GPS and can then look up and across the canyon and see that I'll eventually be way out there on that road. You start to think to yourself "holy fok, what a place to dump a body" :arg
    [​IMG]

Don't get hurt or break down out here fellas. It's a long way out !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Johns eye
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It had been a few hours now since I had seen my brothers in adventure. I had complete faith in the DR to deliver me.
    [​IMG]

The road surface starts to get smoother and the road itself wider.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wooded and fast again
    [​IMG]

Well, late afternoon we pop out onto the paved road and follow it to the Patrick Creek Lodge. Tony said it was a must, and dam if he wasn't right. The lodge is loaded with history.
    [​IMG]

And we check in.
    [​IMG]

That girl you see in the 1st lodge photo was interesting. She was from France, touring northern California. Alone. She had that bike, but that was it. No warm clothes, no tent, no money :huh
    She was just hanging out there, but not staying there. In fact when we asked, she had no idea where she would stay tonight. And it was getting cold and damp from the Pacific that was miles away but you could definitely feel the ocean influence here.
    A women from the lodge called a native American girl she knew who came and took her home for the night thankfully. Poor thing, was she nuts ? As far s we could tell, we were near nothing but wilderness !

Lets take a walk around inside the lodge:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were digging this place a lot.
    [​IMG]

Bruce and the native American Indian girl outside talking to the French girl, each trying to convince her they had the better digs for the night :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike'ee taking it easy in a rocker
    [​IMG]

We enjoy a cold beer in the very cool lounge before dinner
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Read this !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

An excellent meal and good times as we rehash the day.
    [​IMG]

We get a great nights sleep that night. Quiet as a mouse.

NEXT UP:

We penetrate further into California, ride through the giant redwoods, see the Pacific for the 1st time and I meet this oldtimer out living in the woods. :lol3
    [​IMG]
  3. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Thanks Benny ! Appreciate that. It's a lot of work! You don't realize how huge these trips are until you start to chronicle it. And of course once you breath life into it, you can't stop ! It's a monster that must be fed at least once a day! :lol3
  4. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Could you tell what happened to the forest along Wimer Road? My heck ... looks like the place has been nuked.

You're rolling through "Don't ask. Don't tell" country now, and for some distance yet to come in your report. Since you survived, I take it you didn't ask, and aren't about to "tell."

I wonder what made that soup so good early on ... some secret local herb, perhaps?

You met two young women wandering alone, without resources, in a region where I was a crime reporter for a few years. Troubles me how people end up like that, in a place like that.
  5. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Free spirit !
  6. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you liked Pat Creek Lodge. I thought it would be a welcomed surprise after a day on Wimer Road. It was for me when I first visited in the early 90s.

How were the sleeping quarters?
  7. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was the waitress at Happy Camp Manti Teo's girlfriend? I don't see her in the pic.:rofl
  8. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Good eye
    Here she is !
    [​IMG]
  9. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Perfect T.
  10. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Tony, The picks must capture it because that was how it felt. Something about the terrain screamed brutal, the bed of rocks that composed much of the road did nothing to discourage that impression! :lol3
    Not sure why, but I was expecting a casual, see the sights, Hugel type afternoon ride. I remember saying to Frank, 'Must have been a long time since Tony's been down this one! :rofl Seriously , wasn't that bad , but was slow going and seemed to go on forever. ​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Just tryin' to keep the surprises coming!
  12. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    "Long live the Haight!"

[​IMG]
  13. Spinalcracker

Spinalcracker former redriderofma

Oddometer:
    Great ride Frank !!:clap

I wonder if the UN involvement has anything to do with Agenda 21 ?
  14. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    As I rounded corners on the West facing ridges, I started noticing a huge set of switchbacks off in the distance. The pic's don't do them justice. At one point, Low Divide Road dips down to cross the North Fork Smith River and that's where the climb starts, eventually leading us over Gasquet Mountain.
    Horace Gasquet was a French immigrant who was responsible for the Gasquet Toll Rd, A Corduroy Rd, witch is a road made of timbers. Built by Chinese workers in the late 1800's ,it provided a link between Del Norte County and Oregon. ​
    [​IMG]
  15. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Wildland riding all day, hot tubs, pools, and dining with china and white napkins at night ... and oh yeah, a night beneath the stars now and then. What could be better?
  16. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    ...the "State of Jefferson" holds a special place in my heart. I have some property up that way and just wainting for the "succession movement" to start up again. :lol3 Seems my route will be different than yours on the OBCDR. We'll be on the East side of Hwy 97 going south to north but I see some future rides happening based on your route. :clap
    Awesome stuff. Ride on. :ricky:thumb
  17. bar-low

bar-low ''son of the wind''

Oddometer:
    If you are going the direction of Reno,,when traveling thru hwy 44 ,cut off a-21 to Westwood Ca. :deal check out the nice lunch at the Olde Mill Cafe .. (close at 2:eek:opm) I have new set of tires, just mounted up TODAY!! glad 2 show you around?? Fred:clap
  18. Herbivore63

Herbivore63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us. What camera(s) are you using? Also, could you give any more information on the mods you've made on your DR? You've mentioned the suspension and the tank. Any other farkles of note that you believe are important and add to the bike's capabilities?

Looking forward to the rest of the trip...
  19. MP5

MP5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Looks like he's added footpegs, case savers, hand guards, FMP Q4 pipe, jetting, rear tail light mod, gearing, heated grips and heated jacket accessories, windscreen......and do I see a "fatter/wider" seat foam....?:1drink

Hey Frank ol' boy, nice catching up with ya's on this RR. Thanks for sharing bro. Looks epic! Nice to see Bruce, Mike and John again too. I nudged MaineDR to catch up aswell.

Lookin Good Fellas !!!!
  20. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Prior to the Patrick Creek Lodge arrival

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uoVAmd_ZGN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>